The Mummy or Ramses the Damned by Anne Rice

The Mummy or Ramses the Damned (original 1989; edition 1991)

by Anne Rice

Member:roxannehalpine
Title:The Mummy or Ramses the Damned
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:Ballantine Books (1991), Edition: 0, Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:vampires, anne rice

The Mummy or Ramses the Damned by Anne Rice (1989)

English (40)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (43)
8 copies
  LAPP | Oct 2, 2018 |
Liked her take on the figure of the mummy ( )
  amuskopf | Aug 8, 2018 |
Just re-read this and it is as I remember. A fun light read unlike other Rice novels. ( )
  Fearshop | Mar 31, 2018 |
I read this when it originally came out in 1989 and promptly forgot about it. I reread it this week because the second book was just released nearly 30 years later, co-authored by Anne Rice and her son Christopher who signed my copy of the book. I started the second novel and realized I really must re-read the first.

So, 30 years later, it is still a disappointing read. The most obnoxious character, Henry Stratford ends up a mummy, several more individuals are given the elixir for immortality and in general, everything was left up in the air in the original conclusion. That being said, it is a fast and somewhat engaging read - the characters of Samir and Elliot Rutherford as well as Ramses himself are interesting characters. And the newly arisen psychotic nature of Cleopatra has potential.

Clearly, given the Vampire Chronicles, Anne Rice is fascinated by the concept of immortality and continues to explore this concept. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Aug 8, 2017 |
Anne Rice, bestselling author of The Vampire Chronicles, now delves into the mysterious legend of the mummy in this original and poetic tale of romance and horror.

It begins in the early 1900's when archaeologist Lawrence Stratford discovers a perfectly preserved mummy in a tomb in Cairo. Little does he know that the mummy, one Ramses the Great, a.k.a. Ramses the Damned, has consumed an extraordinary potion that makes him immortal; only the ( )
  Tutter | Feb 25, 2015 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

This novel is dedicated with love

Stan Rice
and
Christopher Rice

Gita Mehta
an instant inspiration

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
for his great mummy stories
"Lot No. 249" and "The Ring of Thoth"

H. Rider Haggard
who created the immortal She

All who have brought
"the mummy" to life
in stories, novels and film.

And lastly

My father
Howard O'Brien
who came more than once
to get me from the neighborhood show,
when "the mummy" had scared me
so badly that I couldn't even stay
in the lobby with the creepy music
coming through the doors.

The camera flashes blinded him for a moment.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345369947, Mass Market Paperback)

InThe Mummy Anne Rice weaves the same magic for the world and history of mummies that she previously did for the worlds and mythologies of vampires and witches. Ramses the Great lives, but having drunk the elixir of life, he is now Ramses the Damned, doomed forever to wander the earth, desperate to quell certain mummy hungers that can never be satisfied!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

Doomed forever to wander the earth, desperate to quell his insatiable hungers, Ramses the Damned turns up in Edwardian London as Dr. Ramsey and begins a romance with heiress Julie Stratford, but his cursed past again propels him toward disaster.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,114,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible