Life and Limb: Selected Tales of Peril,…

Life and Limb: Selected Tales of Peril, Predicament, and Dire Distress (edition 1996)

711,687,163NoneNone
Member:malinablue
Title:Life and Limb: Selected Tales of Peril, Predicament, and Dire Distress
Authors:
Info:Hi Jinx Press (1996), Paperback, 221 pages
Tags:anthologies, fiction, flash fiction, short stories, sudden fiction, bedroom library

Life and Limb: Selected Tales of Peril, Predicament, and Dire Distress by Gilbert Alter-Gilbert

Thirty bleak short stories about helpless people in hopeless situations. My kind of book, then.

And reading through the table of contents warmed my heart: Whilst there are a few stories by Anglophones, others were written by authors from places as scattered as Syria, Japan, Nicaragua, Russia, Iraq, and Venezuela. Better still, even though most of the fiction I read is in translation I'd not heard of most of these writers.

The quality of the stories varies of course, and Alter-Gilbert's introductions to them are at times weirdly purple. They're helpful, though, and some of these writers' lives sound as horrendous as the situations they describe.
1 vote bluepiano | Dec 30, 2016 |

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,269,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible