Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris…

Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes (1993)

by Chris Crutcher

The World According to Garp by John Irving (Joybee)
    Joybee: Also about many very controversial topics brought up in a humorous story. A 'mature' book
    The Cider House Rules by John Irving (Joybee)

I could not put this book down! In a disposable society as we live in, it was a huge treat to read about kids who stick around and help each other. Sure, they may tease along the way, but in the end, they are there for each other. This book has everything you need in a good book - someone to love (Eric, Aka Mobe) and someone to hate (Mr. Byrnes). A teacher to love (Lemry) and a teacher/assistant principal to hate (Mautz).

Sarah is more complicated. She was badly burned when she was young. As a result, she is a very angry person with survival instincts in social situations. Although she and Eric are friends, she really doesn't trust anyone.

Mark Brittain is complicated as well. He comes from a very strict religious home, so you don't know how much of how he thinks and acts is of his own doing compared to what has been shoved down his throat at home.

The book is given its title because Eric and Sarah have always been friends because he was fat and she was scarred. When he started working out a lot with the swim team, he ate a ton so that he would stay fat, thinking that was a necessary part of staying friends with Sarah. ( )
  Lisa5127 | May 25, 2019 |
RGG: Two childhood friends, physical misfits, stay friends through highschool even though one is no longer a misfit. Messages of courage and doing the right thing. Good adolescent read.
  rgruberexcel | May 19, 2019 |
  rgruberexcel | May 19, 2019 |
CATEGORY: Required

Moby is a fat kid turned slightly less fat kid. Middle school was rough for him, but he had Sarah Byrnes to get him through it. Sarah Byrnes is a burn victim. She's witty, harsh, and will stop at nothing to get revenge on the popular crowd. But when Sarah and Moby get to high school and Moby starts swimming, they drift apart. Sarah resents Moby's move to the popular crowd and his slight weightloss, losing his physical "loser" marker. But now Sarah is in the hospital after a mental breakdown and she isn't speaking. Moby goes and talks to her everyday, and finds out more about Sarah's traumatic past. Suddenly, everything becomes clear in Moby's life and part of that is because of Lemry's Contemporary American Thought class. Abortion, child abuse, Christianity, and suicide attempts are all in play in Chris Crutcher's phenomenally deep YA book.

I loved this book so much. I loved the Christian criticism, the adult topics in high school, and the greatest depictions of friendship I've seen in a YA book. I think that, although this book is fairly controversial, it would be a great fit for a large number of high school students. Crutcher promotes critical and deep thinking about things a large number of teenagers have just accepted as fact, religion included. ( )
  haileyblatter | Nov 17, 2018 |
Excellent job by Crutcher as always. I am continually impressed with his ability to weave in current issues with a captivating storyline teens latch onto. I highlighted this ebook extensively and looking back, many are comments on issues I wish I had known when I was 18 like the characters. I applaud Crutcher for both knowing and understanding his audience and having the courage to write about difficult issues that require attention. ( )
  startwithgivens | Mar 21, 2018 |
For all those who finally stand up for themselves
My dad left when I still had a month to go in the darkroom, and historically when people have tried to figure me out (as in, "What went wrong?"), they usually conclude that Mom spoiled me; gave me everything I wanted because I had no pappy.
I think most of us tell ourselves we don't want what we think we can't have just to make life bearable.
And I think if you're going to be with somebody you owe it to them to show yourself.
It's a scary thing, moving on. Part of me wishes life were more predictable and part of me is excited that it's not. I think it's impossible to tell the good things from the bad things while they're happening.
'Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes' was also published under the less meaningful title 'Secrets of Sarah Byrnes'

Eric "Moby" Calhoune and Sarah Byrnes are best friends, thrown together at first because they are both misfits. Sarah Byrnes is hideously disfigured from burns suffered as a young child, and Eric is fat and constantly teased for it. But in high school things begin to change when "Mobe" goes out for the swim team, and Sarah Byrnes is committed to the mental hospital. This powerful and popular novel is given an appropriately honest and beautiful performance by Johnny Heller, who can always be counted on to give a stellar reading of YA novels featuring male main characters. In this unvoiced narration Heller wisely chooses to avoid a melodramatic reading and lets the writing convey the emotions of the characters and the story to the listener. Category: Fiction Audiobook. KLIATT Codes: JS*--Exceptional book, recommended for junior and senior high school students. 2002 (orig. 1993), Recorded Books, 5 tapes. 6.5 hrs.

Sarah Byrnes and Eric have been friends for years. When they were children, his fat and her terrible scars made them both outcasts. Later, although swimming slimmed Eric, she stayed his closest friend.

Now Sarah Byrnes -- the smartest, toughest person Eric has ever known -- sits silent in a hospital. Eric must uncover the terrible secret she's hiding, before its dark currents pull them both under.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:15 -0400)

The daily class discussions about the nature of man, the existence of God, abortion, organized religion, suicide and other contemporary issues serve as a backdrop for a high-school senior's attempt to answer a friend's dramatic cry for help.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,386,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible