Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford

Carter Finally Gets It (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Brent Crawford

Member:Amanda7Leticia
Title:Carter Finally Gets It
Authors:Brent Crawford
Info:Hyperion (2010), Edition: 1 Reprint, Paperback, 300 pages
Collections:To read

Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford (2009)

Good YA book but confirms my previous idea that teenage boys are rude and crude!! If that is offensive to you, then avoid this book. However it did a good job of showing the thoughts of a 14-year-old boy & felt quite true-to-life. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 2, 2014 |
Oh my gosh, this book was over the top and I loved it. I was often repulsed by Carter and his actions, but he is so damn funny in his inner monologue, and he means the best--especially when you consider he's pretty much a normal teenage boy. I never was one myself, but I have to imagine that most of them have the same kind of thoughts Carter has. And of course, he does finally get it in the end and isn't so much of a jerk.

And now I also know why everyone raves about Nick Podehl's narrations. He was FANTASTIC. He uses every advantage he can with sound and is not afraid to scream if it's necessary. I can't wait to listen to another book narrated by him. ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
I waivered between 3&4 stars due to the voice. In the end the fact that Carter was so endearing won out. It was a great peak into the mind of the average teenage boy. The mistakes were heartbreaking and the triumphs, well triumphant.

As others have mentioned, the voice sometimes reads as a 30 year-old trying to talk like a 14 yearold by using "what the kids say on that MTV." Overall an impressive debut young adult novel. ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
Laugh-out-loud funny, literally! I listened to this with a huge grin on my face so often, it was embarrassing! Nick Podehl is a master narrator! ( )
  baystateRA | Jul 20, 2013 |
Delightful. Well, okay, delightful is probably the wrong word for this book as it is so purely a fourteen-year-old young man's voice as to make one wince and squirm and blush and groan. But a tour-de-force, no doubt. I am so glad I can read this from a safe remove. Crawford's nailed it. Heh. Nailed it, get it? *snort*

Highly recommended. I'm going to go force this on my kid and stand over him till he reads it.

satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |

Brent Crawfordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my boys-B.C.
In the back room of the Pizza Barn, with only two weeks before the start of high school, my boys and I are at the Freshman Mixer.

(From back of book) Meet Will Carter. Here are 5 things that you should know about him: 1. He has a stuttering problem, particularly around boobs and belly buttons. 2. He battles Attention Deficit Disorder every minute of every day.....unless he gets distracted. 3. He's a virgin, mostly because he's no good at talking to girls (see number 1). 4. He's about to start high school. 5. He's totally not ready. Join Carter for his freshman year, where he'll search for sex, love, and acceptance anywhere he can find it. In the process, he'll almost kill a trombone player, face off with his greatest nemesis, get caught in a messy love triangle, suffer a lot of blood loss, narrowly escape death, run from the cops (not once, but twice), meet his match in the form of a curvy drill teamer, and surprise the hell out of everyone, including himself.

Awkward freshman Will Carter endures many painful moments during his first year of high school before realizing that nothing good comes easily, focus is everything, and the payoff is usually incredible.

Brent Crawford is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

19 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible