The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry

The Amaranth Enchantment (edition 2010)

by Julie Berry

Member:applebook1
Title:The Amaranth Enchantment
Authors:Julie Berry
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2010), Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry

This is a fantasy story with Cinderella elements: a wicked aunt instead of stepmother, a stand in for the fairy godmother, and of course a prince and a ball. The story however is not dependent on those elements, and stands as its own fantasy about a girl changing her fate, helping someone else, and forging a new future. Lucinda is bold and clever, and fights to change her fate. ( )
  the1butterfly | Aug 9, 2014 |
Ever since the death of Lucinda's parents, she has been forced to live under the thumb of her bitter and overbearing aunt and her weak uncle, working at their jewelry store. Within one eventful day, Lucinda's life drastically changes. During this short period of time, she deals with a lovesick prince, a mysterious witch, a charming thief, and a tragedy that leaves her homeless. Things quickly go from bad to worse for Lucinda as she tries to put the pieces back together.

When I picked up The Amaranth Enchantment, it was because I was in the mood for a feel good, happy ending fairy tale. I was certainly not disappointed in that but I was surprised to find that Julie Berry's story had plenty of action as well as unexpected plot twists and turns. I enjoyed that each of the characters showed both strength in some areas and weaknesses in others. It made them much more realistic. The prince was a little weaker than I would have liked personally, but he fit so well with Lucinda. The Amaranth Witch was by far my favorite character, mysterious in so many ways yet very apparently flawed and insecure.

I would recommend The Amaranth Enchantment to anyone who enjoys a happily-ever-after kind of story with some unique twists and turns along the way. ( )
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |
other worlds, Cinderella and other themes in a story with lots of twists not always strong but a good read ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
I couldn’t quite decide whether this book was meant to be a Cinderella re-telling or whether it simply drew on the tropes of that story. Regardless, I find it odd that both this and Beauty Sleep rely on a similar plot development, albeit with different results. I liked it, but I was never convinced by the world-building–Berry didn’t seem able to choose between a fairy-tale world and a version of ours with magic. [Feb. 2010] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
I would have liked it better if Lucinda had ended up with Beryl and Peter with Gregor but what can ya do? ( )
  suziannabean | Apr 2, 2013 |
Amaranth

Immortal amarant, a flower which once

In Paradise, fast by the tree of life,

Began to bloom; but soon for man's offence

To Heaven removed, where first it grew, there grows,

And flowers aloft shading the fount of life,

And where the river of bliss through midst of Heaven

Rolls o'er Elysian flowers her amber stream;

With these that never fade the Spirits elect

Bind there resplendent locks.

—Milton, Paradise Lost, iii, 353-361
For Jack, for Plum, and always, for Phil
I sit on a velvet stool at Mama's feet, watching her brush her hair. (Prologue)
I was sweeping the shop when a glimmer between two floorboards caught my eye.

When Lucinda Chapdelaine was a small child, her parents left for the royal ball and never returned. Ever since, Lucinda has been stuck in perpetual servitude at her evil aunt’s jewelry store. Then, on the very same day, a mysterious visitor and an even more bizarre piece of jewelry both enter the shop, setting in motion a string of twists and turns that will forever alter Lucinda’s path. In this magical story filled with delightful surprises, Lucinda will dance at the royal ball, fall under the Amaranth Witch’s spell, avenge her parents’ death, and maybe—just maybe—capture the heart of a prince.

Orphaned at age five, Lucinda, now fifteen, stands with courage against the man who took everything from her, aided by a thief, a clever goat, and a mysterious woman called the Witch of Amaranth, while the prince she knew as a child prepares to marry, unaware that he, too, is in danger.… (more)

88 wanted1 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,315,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible