Need by Carrie Jones

This book had so much potential. I really liked it up until the end. I felt like there was this turning point where the author just gave up trying to write really well and just tried to finish. It started as a Young Adult book, but ended rather juvenile. I did like Nick, but again the heroine, Zara, was so not heroic. Katniss and Katsa are still my favs. ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
Loved this book until the ending, which I wasn't crazy about. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
My best friend was reading this series and kept recommending how addicting and wonderful the first book was. At first I wasn't sure when I was reading the first few pages, they were short, introspective chapters similar to Girl, Interrupted (which I'm not crazy about.) I found myself giving a damn pretty quickly, though, and this book ended up getting me so glued it would have taken physical intervention to get me off of it.

So yes, while the very beginning was a little tough to chew, I soon became enamored by the main character, her realism and her unique outlook. She has this thing with phobias. She studies them, memorizes them, recites them in her head when she's nervous, bored, encountering new people, things, places. She's sent to Alaska to stay with her grandmother (not the little red riding hood kind, either, but a strong personality type) after her father dropped dead in front of her from a heart attack. Apparently her emotions are so numb she's barely living and everyone's worried about her.

At school she starts making friends with unusual but awesome people, and finds that there is a strange guy following her around. This was focused on with the book's back blurb, and around the halfway point of the novel this really takes off as being what fascinated me so much. Even with this, though, it takes a serious backstory in the first half as Zara notices him (sometimes) but mainly focuses on getting close to the other characters.

I won't spoil who the man turned out being but it's epic, and I won't spoil what he is or what he wants as that would be mean. Let's just say it's intriguing, and even if he's "bad", I really dug his character and loved the interactions. So the villain rocked as being dimensional, and the good guys also worked as being convincing, particularly the hunky Nick and the dingy but cool friend Ziggy. ( Think that's her name anyway, I'm terrible with names)

There was "some" clicheness - especially the high school popular kids being traditional jerks. Also, I did guess who the bad guy was before it was revealed a few chapters prior. Jones made it obvious on the boyfriend with plenty of cutely dropped hints, too.

Overall, while Zara may start out hollow and numb, she does not full the book down and comes across believable and sympathetic. Her compassion and inner strength shines all the way. Her friendly, but strong and passionate nature make her a dazzle amongst many other YA fiction-birthed characters. And even if the middle was mildly interesting but not cliffhanger-rich, the middle peaked to an epic intrigue that never let up until the page closed.

It made me curious too to check out some book and reading related phobias:

BIBLIOPHOBIA - Fear of books, mainly fear of only one kind (such as textbooks or fairy tales). Can also narrow down to fear of reading out loud, or not reading well and fearing having to read and someone finding out.
MYTHOPHOBIA - The fear of legends. Can tie in if the legend is written down.
ABIBLIOPHOBIA - The fear of running out of reading material.
LOGOPHOBIA - The fear of words.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I never knew how many kinds of phobias there is in the world! I might have half of them! LOL... but the story line is kind-of like Twilight, with some differences but still, kind of the same. a new girl in a cold town, a new old car, the hot guy who never liked anyone but her, who can't seem to read her, the girl hates cold weather, then she get hurts and go to hospital... I don't know the dialog is so bad, they keep repeating everything, and I knew everything before it happened along time ago, and Zara is kind of stupid, I mean she is afraid and she knows the pixies are out there to get her but she still goes out!! she could do as she is told and stay inside until the weather clears or help gets to the house! all in all it is a light predictable read, not so bad but not good either. I hate that Zara is so mean and rude with her mother, though she is quite nice, and there is no reason for her to act mean. OK stupid book!! stupid ending!! Pixies can fly, people!! isn't that the way her dad took her to his house!! how can they be stuck if they can fly!? ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
To Doug Jones and Emily Ciciotte
and William Rice--yes, you, William--for
doing everything you could to help me succeed.
I need you all.
Everybody has fears, right?
He squeezes my hand and his face hardens. He fiddles with my blanket, tucks it around me, just like my grandmother had. I am very well tucked.

Zara lives with her grandmother in Maine so that she stays "safe." Zara doesn't think she's in danger, but it turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, is a pixie--and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He's the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs--and he's trailing Zara.
It's not hard to see Twilight in the DNA of this novel: Zara's stepfather has died, her mother isn't capable of caring for her, and she has been sent to live with her grandmother in a small remote town in Maine. When her car spins out of control (Calling Stephenie Meyer!), she's rescued by sexy Nick (who turns out to be a werewolf), and something might be cooking with her overachieving classmate Ian. Too bad she's being followed by someone dark and dangerous—a pixie king. This pixie is no harmless sprite: when not mated with a queen for an unspecified amount of time, Zara learns, the pixie kings will demand... young human men, who they kill after using them for their blood-hungry pleasures. Will Zara sacrifice herself to this vampire stand-in or let him destroy everything she loves? Jones (Love {and Other Uses for Duct Tape]) easily wins readers to Zara's side, portraying her as a funny, globally conscious teen who also collect[s} fears like other people collect stamps (obscure phobias serve as chapter titles). Genre fans will enjoy the sizzle between Nick and Zara as well as the paranormal cast. Ages 12–up. (Jan.) Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Depressed after the death of her stepfather, high school junior Zara goes to live with her grandmother in a small Maine town, where new friends tell Zara the strange man she keeps seeing may be a pixie king, and that only "were" creatures can stop him from taking souls.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,410,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible