Need by Carrie Jones

Authors:Carrie Jones (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2009), Edition: 1, 337 pages
Tags:Faeries, Fiction

Need by Carrie Jones

This book was terrible. Do not read this book. It was the most Twilight wanna be thing I have ever read, but the writing and storytelling was just so bad. Twilight is not great literature, but at least it’s enjoyable to read. This was practically the SAME STORY. Girl has a change in her family situation and moves to a dreary small town full of supernatural creatures to live with a family member she had only seen when they came to visit her in her warm sunny climate. She doesn’t like the cold and wet. She doesn’t know how to drive in the snow. She falls for the main guy who it turns out is supernatural. She is hunted by other supernatural creatures. He tries to protect her, but thinks he failed. SPOILER: Except here she comes up with a ridiculous way to save the day - she traps a guy who can fly with a circle of barbed wire on the ground around his house. They never address why he can’t fly over the barbed wire. There is absolutely no tension in the romance, all problems are resolved immediately, all things that are supposed to be a surprise are super obvious before being revealed, and the main character is an idiot. The only reason I even finished it was because I could finish it in one night ( )
  Monkeypats | Apr 11, 2018 |
Faeries (or more specifically Pixies) as bad guys and weres as good guys? Hot guy and interesting story? Okay, I'll go for it. [Okay, so faeries never come out all good, but I generally go for main characters on their sides.] I was excited to find another modern faerie story and I'm always up for a new take, plus I just plain enjoyed it. Now I've got to get hold of the rest of the series (already requested from the library). ( )
  the1butterfly | Mar 2, 2018 |
I bought this book purely based on the cover. Yeah, don't ask. I'm awesome at just picking out books on a whim.

Anyway, I had no idea this book was about pixies until I was half way through the novel. It was so strange and unexpected. Who writes a novel about pixies?! I thought it was great. Different. Funny. Full of surprises.

Some things are a little predictable, but that's okay. I didn't mind. I found it entertaining and that's all that matters. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
This book had so much potential. I really liked it up until the end. I felt like there was this turning point where the author just gave up trying to write really well and just tried to finish. It started as a Young Adult book, but ended rather juvenile. I did like Nick, but again the heroine, Zara, was so not heroic. Katniss and Katsa are still my favs. ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
Loved this book until the ending, which I wasn't crazy about. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
To Doug Jones and Emily Ciciotte
and William Rice--yes, you, William--for
doing everything you could to help me succeed.
I need you all.
Everybody has fears, right?
He squeezes my hand and his face hardens. He fiddles with my blanket, tucks it around me, just like my grandmother had. I am very well tucked.

Zara lives with her grandmother in Maine so that she stays "safe." Zara doesn't think she's in danger, but it turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, is a pixie--and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He's the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs--and he's trailing Zara.
It's not hard to see Twilight in the DNA of this novel: Zara's stepfather has died, her mother isn't capable of caring for her, and she has been sent to live with her grandmother in a small remote town in Maine. When her car spins out of control (Calling Stephenie Meyer!), she's rescued by sexy Nick (who turns out to be a werewolf), and something might be cooking with her overachieving classmate Ian. Too bad she's being followed by someone dark and dangerous—a pixie king. This pixie is no harmless sprite: when not mated with a queen for an unspecified amount of time, Zara learns, the pixie kings will demand... young human men, who they kill after using them for their blood-hungry pleasures. Will Zara sacrifice herself to this vampire stand-in or let him destroy everything she loves? Jones (Love {and Other Uses for Duct Tape]) easily wins readers to Zara's side, portraying her as a funny, globally conscious teen who also collect[s} fears like other people collect stamps (obscure phobias serve as chapter titles). Genre fans will enjoy the sizzle between Nick and Zara as well as the paranormal cast. Ages 12–up. (Jan.) Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

Depressed after the death of her stepfather, high school junior Zara goes to live with her grandmother in a small Maine town, where new friends tell Zara the strange man she keeps seeing may be a pixie king, and that only "were" creatures can stop him from taking souls.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,840,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible