The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli

The Prince (1513)

by Niccolò Machiavelli

15,695126113 ()220
    Utopia by Thomas More (2below)
    2below: Each one is fascinating in its own right but I think reading both (or reading them concurrently, as I did) provides an interesting perspective on two seemingly opposed extremes.
    Maxims and Reflections (Ricordi) by Francesco Guicciardini (timoroso)
    timoroso: Guicciardini, a friend and colleague of Machiavelli, wrote a book of maxims sometimes profound in themselves, other times interesting to compare to Machiavelli's opinions. The subject matter for both is essentially the same: how to act in a politically and ethically thoroughly unstable world.… (more)
    The Republic by Plato (caflores)
    On the Nature of War by Carl von Clausewitz (sirparsifal)
    The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie (Othemts)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (Ciruelo, Othemts)
    Ciruelo: Really. Both are classic studies in the workings of power.

English (104)  Spanish (6)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Finnish (2)  Danish (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (126)
Dudo que haya político exitoso alguno (en la antiguedad tanto como en la actualidad) que, ha sabiendas o no, haya dejado de seguir las suegerencias que Machiavelli da en este libro. Pero más allá de la política, El Príncipe describe la realidad como es, y cómo hay que ser para alcanzar el éxito en cualquier ámbito. Por tanto debe ser leído por todo aquél que desee éxito en alguna meta que se haya propuesto. Eso sí, debo advertir que las sugerencias que da Machiavelli involucran mentir, engañar y matar. No se le discute que es la manera más efectiva y rápida de obtener lo deseado. Los comentarios de Napoleón Bonaparte sirven para reafirmar las teorías de Machiavelli y realzar la inmoralidad necesaria para ser un buen político. ( )
  JorgeCarvajal | Feb 13, 2015 |
The most memorable introduction I had to this book was that it was one of those enduring sets of ideas, from which each enthused reader would take something different. And indeed that it what I found. The result is that the read tells you little about the end of Italy's dark ages and more about your own personal struggle with life. Machiavelli's nobility, mercenaries and people become like the mountains, valleys and the earth of Chinese philosophy, mere figures for the politics of one's own life.

As someone always on the look out for material, I found this an incredibly rich source. Its strong points are its organised approach and the author's astute understanding of power relations. What is intriguing is that it is hard to tell how much of his knowledge was earned from erudition, how much from conversation and how much from imagination. Some ideas are, as his reputation precedes, controversial, but that does not take away from the overall portrait he paints. Nor does it predict his cloudy ambition or somewhat pure motivations. ( )
  villemel | Feb 3, 2015 |
Having heard many thing about this book, I was eager to dig in and see what the fuss was about. I have to say, Machiavelli was an INTJ. His prose, his ideas, his assessments - all of them are logical, well-explained, and rational. I understand why people might assume he is conniving and evil. But truthfully, he's just practical and honest about what it takes to rule. If I ever decide to take over the world, Machiavelli will be my guide. ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 1, 2015 |
Ok book - best way I can describe. Simple to read and interesting to parallel to the world we now live in but overall nothing amazing ( )
  dlott | Dec 15, 2014 |
I read this because it is one of those books everyone says should be read. It wasn't terribly long, the translation was easily understandable and I thought I would give it a try.

What surprised me, was that I enjoyed it. I found Machiavelli's teaching style very good. He sets forth a principle, then illustrates it with examples from both ancient history and his times. It was easy to go from there and find examples in our modern times of most of the principles he set forth. I found myself marveling at his insight into human nature and the practicalities of leadership in a fallen world.

Needless to say, I now feel myself prepared to take on the leadership of any minor principality which would have me. World, beware! ( )
2 vote MrsLee | May 15, 2014 |
Kad je reč o umešnosti vladanja, ovo nezaobilazno delo bilo je i ostalo neprevaziđeno. Postalo je pojam!

Delo nastalo na velikom raskršću istorije, kada se odlučno odbacuje srednjovekovno metafizičko učenje i usvajaju empirički metodi razmišljanja, predstavlja ujedno fascinantno svedočanstvo razlaza između mita i realnosti, između vere i sumnje. Ovaj biser renesansne političke misli karakteriše realistično posmatranje političkih događaja i visoke moralne pobude koje su inspirisale autora. Vladalac je samo prividno apoteoza tiranina i kodeks pravila za ubijanje, čitav traktat o vladaocu svodi se na to da se u Italiji pronađe čovek koji će je ujediniti. Život i delo ovog poznatog firentinca obeležavaju kao teoretičara o osnivanju i održavanju država.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Rieu, E. V.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Skinner, QuentinEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TitianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Niccolo Machiavelli to Lorenzo the Magnificent, Son of Piero di Medici
All the states, all the dominions under whose authority men have lived in the past and live now have been and are either republics or principalities.
It is customary for those who wish to gain the favour of a prince to endeavour to do so by offering him gifts of those things which they hold most precious, or in which they know him to take especial delight.
He who blinded by ambition, raises himself to a position whence he cannot mount higher, must thereafter fall with the greatest loss.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.
War cannot be avoided; it can only be postponed to the other's advantage.
This is the main work for The Prince. It should not be combined with any abridgement, adaptation, study guide, etc.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553212788, Mass Market Paperback)

When Lorenzo de' Medici seized control of the Florentine Republic in 1512, he summarily fired the Secretary to the Second Chancery of the Signoria and set in motion a fundamental change in the way we think about politics. The person who held the aforementioned office with the tongue-twisting title was none other than Niccolò Machiavelli, who, suddenly finding himself out of a job after 14 years of patriotic service, followed the career trajectory of many modern politicians into punditry. Unable to become an on-air political analyst for a television network, he only wrote a book. But what a book The Prince is. Its essential contribution to modern political thought lies in Machiavelli's assertion of the then revolutionary idea that theological and moral imperatives have no place in the political arena. "It must be understood," Machiavelli avers, "that a prince ... cannot observe all of those virtues for which men are reputed good, because it is often necessary to act against mercy, against faith, against humanity, against frankness, against religion, in order to preserve the state." With just a little imagination, readers can discern parallels between a 16th-century principality and a 20th-century presidency. --Tim Hogan

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:46 -0400)

Contents: The prince -- Discourses upon the first ten books of Titus Lily -- Chronology -- Notes to The Prince -- Notes to the discourses.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140449159, 0141018852, 0451531000, 0141442255, 0143566466

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Amber Books Ltd

An edition of this book was published by Amber Books Ltd.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175935, 1478344148

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,682,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible