The prince by Niccolò Machiavelli

The prince (original 1532; edition 2003)

by Niccolò Machiavelli, George Bull

Member:sarahallison
Title:The prince
Authors:Niccolò Machiavelli
Other authors:George Bull
Info:London ; New York : Penguin Books, 2003.

The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli (Author) (1532)

Utopia by Thomas More (2below)
    2below: Each one is fascinating in its own right but I think reading both (or reading them concurrently, as I did) provides an interesting perspective on two seemingly opposed extremes.
    The Republic by Plato (caflores)
    Maxims and Reflections by Francesco Guicciardini (timoroso)
    timoroso: Guicciardini, a friend and colleague of Machiavelli, wrote a book of maxims sometimes profound in themselves, other times interesting to compare to Machiavelli's opinions. The subject matter for both is essentially the same: how to act in a politically and ethically thoroughly unstable world.… (more)
    On the Nature of War by Carl von Clausewitz (sirparsifal)
    Tratado teológico-político ; Tratado político by Benedictus de Spinoza (caflores)
    The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie (Othemts)
    Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (Ciruelo, Othemts)
    Ciruelo: Really. Both are classic studies in the workings of power.

English (136)  Spanish (7)  French (5)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  Finnish (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (162)

Ahora me siento preparado para cuando sea mayor y me convierta en principe de una ciudad-estado italiana.

Maquiavelo no se corta un pelo y dice lo que todos pensamos que una persona con poder piensa pero no nos lo confesamos a nosotros mismos.
Es mejor que te amen o que te teman? Maquiavelo dice: que te teman
Hay que ser religioso? Maquiavelo dice: hay que aparentar ser religioso y piadoso pero pasarse la religion por la piedra cuando la ocasion lo requiera
Cuando se conquista una ciudad? Hay que matar a toda la familia del principe anterior.
Mercenarios? Nunca. Ten tu propias fuerzas.

Etc.
No tiene perdida, sobre todo por el gran impacto en tanta gente a lo largo de la historia. ( )
  trusmis | Sep 28, 2018 |
This is an interesting book on Political Philosophy, I think it falls under Realism.
Machiavelli doesn't want to systematize but simply shares from his experience.
As I kept reading the book, I had to reflect a lot of the ideas and try to draw conclusions from this world. I think, most of what he says stands True.

I learnt about power distribution in a political system.
Machiavelli says if it is concentrated with just one person (King), and people under him are servants, then if the King is toppled, it is easier to maintain the Kingdom in the long run. This reminds me of North Korea, I do not see a long future for it anyway.

Meanwhile, if there are nobles, barons who share some influence then it will be difficult to maintain if toppled. I was thinking of China, which I used to think has a good political system.
They do not waste time in election et cetera, however, the disadvantage in Chinese political system is that, if a new political party takes over, they will maintain the whole population under control. Meanwhile, it is difficult in America because the power is distributed differently. I can see how the Founders of America were cautious and knew all systems inside out.

I was surprised to find that Machiavelli supports people who believe in God for defense (Army) are better. He goes on to say that it is easier to train them as they will be Loyal to you.
The people who depend only on money will desert you. He says ministries who only think of them are fickle minded, this reminds me of political system of Tamil Nadu. I wonder how long the Government can run? Based on Machiavelli's writings, not long.

He also talks about weakness of mercenaries, which, I think was one of the causes of downfall –– Roman and Ottoman Empire.
The Ottoman Empire's Janissaries started to decline in power due to lack of training, corruption.

The Roman empire started to bring mercenaries from Germanic tribes. There's always a tension between common people and nobles. Machiavelli says, common people are more important and the Prince ought to give them first priority.

"As the observance of religious rites is the foundation of a republic's greatness, so disrespect for them is the source of its ruin."

"Where a fear of God is lacking, the state must either fail or be sustained by a fear of the ruler which may substitute for the lack of religion."

1 vote gottfried_leibniz | Apr 5, 2018 |
Machiavelli doesn't want to systematize but simply shares from his experience.

I learnt about power distribution in a political system.

gottfried_leibniz | Apr 5, 2018 |
Alan's MIT version, a different version than this one. dh
  AlanBudreau | Apr 2, 2018 |
What can you say? A must read for everyone. ( )
  KarlaC | Mar 26, 2018 |
Kad je reč o umešnosti vladanja, ovo nezaobilazno delo bilo je i ostalo neprevaziđeno. Postalo je pojam!

Delo nastalo na velikom raskršću istorije, kada se odlučno odbacuje srednjovekovno metafizičko učenje i usvajaju empirički metodi razmišljanja, predstavlja ujedno fascinantno svedočanstvo razlaza između mita i realnosti, između vere i sumnje. Ovaj biser renesansne političke misli karakteriše realistično posmatranje političkih događaja i visoke moralne pobude koje su inspirisale autora. Vladalac je samo prividno apoteoza tiranina i kodeks pravila za ubijanje, čitav traktat o vladaocu svodi se na to da se u Italiji pronađe čovek koji će je ujediniti. Život i delo ovog poznatog firentinca obeležavaju kao teoretičara o osnivanju i održavanju država.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Mansfield, Harvey C.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marriott, W. K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merian-Genast, ErnstTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Musa, MarkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oppeln-Bronikowski, Friedrich vonÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Otten, J.F.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is replied to in

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli nacque a Firenze il 3 maggio del 1469. Terzo figlio dei guelfi Bernardo e Bartolomea Nelli, iniziò a studiare latino quando aveva sette anni. In seguito si dedicò anche allo studio di altre discipline, tra cui la grammatica, la matematica e l’aritmetica. Fin da giovane nutrì un forte interesse per la politica, passione che lo portò a ricoprire la carica di segretario della Seconda Cancelleria della Repubblica Fiorentina, intrattenendo rapporti diplomatici con la Francia e con altri paesi stranieri e svolgendo un ruolo fondamentale nella vita politica fiorentina di quel periodo. Mantenne l’incarico fino al 1512, quando i Medici rientrarono a Firenze. Esiliato dal mondo politico, Machiavelli si dedicò alla scrittura. In questo periodo iniziò “Discorsi sulla prima Deca di Tito Livio” e scrisse quella che divenne la sua opera più conosciuta, il “De principatibus”, divenuto successivamente noto con il titolo “Il Principe”. Nonostante i numerosi tentativi di rientrare a svolgere un ruolo attivo nella politica fiorentina, tutti i suoi sforzi risultarono vani. Storico, drammaturgo, filosofo, e uno dei maggiori teorici della politica italiani di tutti i tempi, Niccolò Machiavelli morì a Firenze il 21 giugno del 1527.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553212788, Mass Market Paperback)

When Lorenzo de' Medici seized control of the Florentine Republic in 1512, he summarily fired the Secretary to the Second Chancery of the Signoria and set in motion a fundamental change in the way we think about politics. The person who held the aforementioned office with the tongue-twisting title was none other than Niccolò Machiavelli, who, suddenly finding himself out of a job after 14 years of patriotic service, followed the career trajectory of many modern politicians into punditry. Unable to become an on-air political analyst for a television network, he only wrote a book. But what a book The Prince is. Its essential contribution to modern political thought lies in Machiavelli's assertion of the then revolutionary idea that theological and moral imperatives have no place in the political arena. "It must be understood," Machiavelli avers, "that a prince ... cannot observe all of those virtues for which men are reputed good, because it is often necessary to act against mercy, against faith, against humanity, against frankness, against religion, in order to preserve the state." With just a little imagination, readers can discern parallels between a 16th-century principality and a 20th-century presidency. --Tim Hogan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

ResumenExpress.com presenta y analiza en esta guia de lectura El principe, un ensayo politico de una de las figuras mas importantes del Renacimiento italiano, Nicolas Maquiavelo. En este tratado filosofico sobre la politica italiana e internacional de principios del siglo XVI, el autor explica como los principes deben gobernar sus Estados, dejando a un lado la moral y centrandose en conservar el poder, lo que nos permite reflexionar sobre el origen y la estructura del mismo. ?Ya no tienes que leer y resumir todo el libro, nosotros lo hemos hecho por ti! Esta guia incluye: - Un resumen completo del libro - Un estudio de los personajes - Las claves de lectura - Pistas para la reflexion ?Por que elegir ResumenExpress.com? Para aprender de forma rapida. Porque nuestras publicaciones estan escritas con un estilo claro y conciso que te ayudara a ganar tiempo y a entender las obras sin esfuerzo. Disponibles en formato impreso y digital, te acompanaran en tu aventura literaria.… (more)

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140449159, 0141018852, 0451531000, 0141442255, 0143566466

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100593, 1400108438

Amber Books Ltd

An edition of this book was published by Amber Books Ltd.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,531,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible