The Realms of the Gods by Tamora Pierce

In this final chapter of the Immortals series, Daine and Numair get sucked into the Divine Realms in the midst of war. They meet lots of new gods, and wre forced to fight for their lives against many terrifying immortals. An exciting ending to a fantastic series. I shall miss Daine and Numair, and all the other characters I've grown to love.  ( )
  Iamanerdfighter | May 30, 2016 |
I've been loving finally reading Tamora Pierce's books, and I've enjoyed the Immortals series even more than The Song of the Lioness, especially the last two books. This one wasn't quite as thrilling as Emperor Mage (which had dinosaurs) but it was still very enjoyable and expanded the mythology of the Tortall universe in interesting ways. ( )
  Tafadhali | Nov 18, 2015 |
Description: During a dire battle against the fearsome Skinners, Daine and her mage teacher Numair are swept into the Divine Realms. Though happy to be alive, they are not where they want to be. They are desperately needed back home, where their old enemy, Ozorne, and his army of strange creatures are waging war against Tortall.

Trapped in the mystical realms Daine discovers her mysterious parentage. And as these secrets of her past are revealed so is the treacherous way back to Tortall. So they embark on an extraordinary journey home, where the fate of all Tortall rests with Daine and her wild magic.

Thoughts: Overall I haven't loved any of the Tortall books, but I was appreciating the Daine books a bit more than I had first enjoyed the Alanna books. Something about Daine's stories failed to really wow me, but I was getting along just fine.

Until this book. This is so so so bad. It's a big stew of discordant plots that are supposedly wrapping the series up but really just end up making little sense. Creatures are introduced for no purpose at all. The fearsome Skinners that truly seemed terrifying are just a very quick and convenient way to get Daine into the right place. There is almost no mention of them again even though they seem to have been set on destroying the whole world in short time when Daine encounters them. But no, they don't need a second thought. Lalalala.

It was just so massively disappointing. All of the other characters we love were almost completely ignored and Daine couldn't even commune with the animals because they were all gods instead of mortal animals.

Not to mention that, while Numair is a very likeable character and I saw the romance coming way back, it was still particularly icky that he, 30 something, and Daine, just barely 16, end up together. Characterwise they are probably perfect for each other but Pierce went out of her way to stress their ages and it's therefore weird and unappealing. Yes yes, basically medieval times and it was pretty common, but it just doesn't sit well in my head. Yuck.

And how come all the animal gods have names except for the one we've known all along, who is simply called Badger?

And how come a trip to the Realms of the Gods was so boringly familiar and just a bunch of friggin walking around? AHHHHHHH!

Rating: 2.67
Liked: 2.5
Plot: 2
Characterization: 3
Writing: 2.5
Audio: 3.5

http://www.librarything.com/topic/188600#5165653 ( )
  leahbird | Jul 20, 2015 |
As a huge fan of Tamora Pierce's books I also loved this one. Finding out more about Daine's parents is fun and there are again some very adorable scenes in this book.

The audiobook version in particular is great. Full Cast delivers an outstanding performance (narrated by Tamora Pierce herself). The CDs conclude with an interview with Tamora Pierce about how the quartet was written and on whom some of the characters are based. Very interesting. ( )
  Zurpel | Sep 22, 2013 |
A good wrap up to the series and a fair amount more violent and sexy than I remembered, this is probably my least favorite of Pierce's books. I still liked it, but I don't have the same connection to the characters that I do with some of the other series and the age difference with Daine and Numair ends up playing just a little icky because she's still so young (I know 16 in a medieval/renaissance world isn't that young, but it still feels young to me) plus they had the student/teacher thing going for awhile, so just a leeetle bit icky. Not terrible, just enough to be slightly distracting. I feel like this was the last of Pierce's books where she's still working on finding the exact style that works for her. Listened to the Full Cast Audio recording; Full Cast continues to impress with consistently excellent and enjoyable recordings. Previously read a couple times at least. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |

Pierce, TamoraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strohm, MargaretNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Claire Smith and Margaret Turner, who teach me that heroism includes facing sorrows each and every day with courage, humor, and practicality.
A magical barrier had separated the realms of the gods from the mortal realms for over four hundred years.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141690817X, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:04 -0400)

While in the mystical realms of the gods along with Nunair, Daine learns the secrets of her past and the implications for her future as she and Nunair are compelled to return to the mortal world of Tortall to help fight against the immortals.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,887,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible