Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou

Letter to My Daughter (2008)

by Maya Angelou

There is some really lovely, heartfelt and thought-provoking work in here. It's a collection rather than a unified work, so each reader will find some parts speak more to her than others do. But everyone will find something that touches and inspires. It is a generous offering that she makes to all of us, whom she sees as her spiritual daughters. Thank you, Ms. Angelou. ( )
  Laura400 | Jun 3, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading another Maya Angelou book, though I must admit that this one was a little "fluffier" in some places than expected. Other chapters were very frank and real, especially about her younger years. I was glad to learn a bit more about how she grew up; it made me admire her more. I can understand now why she seems like such a strong person, as this book reveals some of the strong influences in her life. One of my favorite chapters was about her adult life, when she first visited Wake Forest College to give a lecture. She was asked to join in an impromptu student meeting after her lecture, and impressed someone from the admin. so much she was offered a faculty position whenever she wanted it. Later, after her divorce, she methodically whittled down the list of cities where she wanted to settle to write, and ended up in Winston-Salem, and finally on the Wake Forest University faculty with a lifetime appointment.

dukefan86 | Dec 13, 2013 |
Audiobook version, read by the author. Maya Angelou has a voice like warm butter. If she read it aloud, she could make her grocery list sound wise and sensual and beautiful. When listening to her, I just want to nod my head and agree, grateful that she's sharing her thoughts with me. In this book, she recounts many of her personal experiences across eight decades of life. It's honest and sincere, and I was touched that she generously shared some of her own most embarassing mistakes and what she learned about herself and the world through them.

After finishing this book, which only took a couple of hours, I reflected back on her lessons and can't say that I can embrace them all, perhaps because my experiences are not hers. But I'm nonetheless grateful that she's shared the insight she's gained through her remarkable life, and in her own voice. ( )
  PortM | Nov 30, 2013 |
Inspirational. Some texts are very moving. ( )
  Wordreader | Sep 9, 2013 |
I expected more from a book by Maya Angelou. Maybe I would have enjoyed reading it more than listening to the audio. It jumped around a lot and repeated a great deal that's in I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. ( )
  readrunandrepeat | Apr 3, 2013 |
Nearly 40 years, six (six!) autobiographies, a dozen collections of poetry, a sprinkling of essays, children's books and a cookbook later, Angelou -- who turned 80 this spring -- has written another book, this one an odd little hodgepodge of sound advice, vivid memory and strong opinion. Despite the slimness of the volume and the randomness of its offerings, I still find myself charmed by her plain talk.

Dedicated to the daughter she never had but sees all around her, Letter to My Daughter reveals Maya Angelou's path to living well and living a life with meaning. Whether she is recalling such lost friends as Coretta Scott King and Ossie Davis, extolling honesty, decrying vulgarity, explaining why becoming a Christian is a "lifelong endeavor," or simply singing the praises of a meal of red rice--Maya Angelou writes from the heart to millions of women she considers her extended family.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,970,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible