Thunderhead by Mary O'Hara

Thunderhead (1944)

by Mary O'Hara

Series: Flicka (2)

English (2)  German (1)  All languages (3)
(bought 1980s)

Sequel to the excellent “My Friend Flicka”, reviewed earlier in the year. Ken and Howard are growing up, Flicka has an unfortunate throwback colt, and as the farm slips closer to financial ruin, Nell and Rob’s marriage starts to creak. Not a pony book, but a powerful portrait of the horse and his master, and of horses in general, as well as farming life in mid-century America. Again, much more about Nell and Rob than I remembered. Superb – wonderful scenes and perceptive family and individual moments make it a marvellous all-round read. ( )
  LyzzyBee | Oct 2, 2012 |
Although it contains many of the same traits which made "My Friend Flicka" a great read, this book lacks some of the warmth and appeal evident in the prior book.

Much of the book is written from the horse's perspective, particularly from Thunderhead's, and it just doesn't quite work. The animal is neither likable nor does he invoke sympathy and that, in turn, impacts the ability of the reader to identify with Ken as he struggles with this horse.

Parts of the story are didactic and will bore younger readers. Far too much time is spent dwelling on the financial situation the McLaughlins find themselves in and on the strife between McLaughlin and his wife.

The conclusion of the book falls flat and feels like a cop-out because it resolves nothing. This is still a good read for older, teen readers but deals with far too adult issues to interest younger readers as the first book has done.

I have it in my collection for nostalgic reasons but I don't read it as often as I did the first novel. ( )
  tygermoonfoxx | Nov 3, 2006 |

A follow-up to the childhood classic My Friend Flicka. "That rare achievement, a sequel to a great and richly deserved success that in no way falls short of its distinguished predecessor . . . a fine and singing story."--New York Times

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:41 -0400)

Ken's dream of turning the ugly, white, throwback colt into a racer dies as they both mature, and he finally ensures the return of the fast, strongly-built young stallion to the wild.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,410,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible