Blood Alone by James R. Benn

ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |
I'm just now catching up on this series; volume 4 is already out, but this is volume 3. Although each novel can stand alone, I'd advise going back to the first in the series, [b:Billy Boyle|345007|Billy Boyle (Billy Boyle World War II, #1)|James R. Benn|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173918560s/345007.jpg|335333] if you haven't read any of them yet.

Billy Boyle, a wet-behind-the-ears Boston cop who happens to have a distant family connection to General Eisenhower, was assigned to Eisenhower's staff shortly after Pearl Harbor. His family thought he'd be safe in Washington, but history had other plans. By the time [b:Blood Alone|1115217|By Blood Alone (Legion of the Damned #3)|William C. Dietz|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1181118655s/1115217.jpg|1102224] opens, Billy's already had adventures in the waters off Norway and in North Africa, as a special investigator for "Ike." [b:Blood Alone|1115217|By Blood Alone (Legion of the Damned #3)|William C. Dietz|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1181118655s/1115217.jpg|1102224] finds Billy in Sicily at the beginning of the U.S. invasion -- wounded and suffering from partial amnesia. By the book's end, he will know who he is on an existential level, and will have tangled with American and Sicilian mafiosi in support of the war effort.

[a:James R. Benn|197933|James R. Benn|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66.jpg]'s books are at the top of my must-read list for a number of reasons. I enjoy novels about World War II, and Benn, as befits a librarian, researches his books carefully -- but weaves the facts in so seamlessly with the narrative that one never feels that a lecture is in progress. Too, Benn's books are what I call Ripping Yarns, full of daredevil exploits and hair's-breadth escapes. But what really sets them apart is the character development, particularly the character of Billy. In [b:Billy Boyle|345007|Billy Boyle (Billy Boyle World War II, #1)|James R. Benn|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173918560s/345007.jpg|335333], he was hardly more than a child being sent to do a man's work. Through love, loss, and war, Billy is becoming a man, and in [b:Blood Alone|1115217|By Blood Alone (Legion of the Damned #3)|William C. Dietz|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1181118655s/1115217.jpg|1102224] he quite clearly learns who and what kind of man he is. I can hardly wait to see how his experiences in Ireland will change him in Benn's latest book, [b:Evil for Evil|386187|Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil|John Berendt|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1174355740s/386187.jpg|300461]. I recommend the whole series very highly indeed. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
Blood alone moves the wheels of history. - Benito Mussolini, December 12, 1914
For Debbie, "Love goes toward love." - William Shakespeare
I was hot, And my head hurt.

Billy Boyle awakens in a field hospital in Sicily with amnesia. In his pocket is a yellow silk handkerchief embroidered with the initial L. Gradually he remembers: he has been sent ashore in advance of the troops with this token from Lucky Luciano to contact the head of the Sicilian Mafia. But he must also thwart a murderous band of counterfeiters of Army scrip led by Vito Genovese.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,161,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible