Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton

Tooth and Claw (2003)

by Jo Walton

Recently added byprivate library, martinb1, peapea, Ciarda, FlowerTaisen, TirzahM, Silver, paige.alden
    Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope (InfoQuest)
    InfoQuest: As Walton notes in the book's introduction, Trollope's Framley Parsonage provides some of the plot and characters for Tooth and Claw and is a very good Victorian novel (of the Barsetshire series, though it can easily stand alone).
    Soulless by Gail Carriger (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For Victorian heroines of inhuman nature.
    Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho (Herenya)
    A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the Victorian setting, with dragons.
    The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison (octopedingenue)
    The Magicians and Mrs. Quent by Galen Beckett (Mint.ChocolateOcelot)
    Mint.ChocolateOcelot: Tooth and Claw is similar to Magicians & Mrs. Quent because of the Society of it. Things like marrying outside your social class, fancy parties, and where Mr. So-and-so was last night are all issues that characters in both books face. Unless you don't care for books with human characters, I think if you enjoyed Tooth and Claw, you will enjoy The Magicians and Mrs. Quent… (more)

English (59)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All (62)
A descriptive title would be Pride and Prejudice and Dragons. Jo Walton said she was inspired by Anthony Trollope; however, the story feels much like Jane Austen. A wonderful treatment of a family dispute over the father's remains. (Eating dragon flesh conveys magic.) The domestic tale includes intrigue, lawsuits, engagements, and the family member's futures. ( )
  ktoonen | Apr 6, 2017 |
Tooth and Claw reads very much like a 19th-century Victorian romance--think Jane Austen or Charlotte Bronte. The story revolves around a family whose patriarch has died, leaving two unfortunate sisters dependent on the graces of their more fortunate (or in some cases, just more male) siblings to make their way through life, ostensibly by making them marriageable. The curveball that Walton throws us is that all of the characters are actually dragons. The author introducing dragon-ish customs like flying, fire-breathing, and cannibalism alongside things we'd expect to see in an upper-crust Victorian society, such as a disdain for commerce and people of a lower social station, and fighting by "tooth and claw" to get ahead. Unlike the masterpieces of the Victorian era, however, this book doesn't feature a strong, intelligent female lead--this book's analogue, Selendra, is just a bit too passive and flighty, and I had trouble identifying with her. The book's ending at the same time was surprising and tied all the various subplots together very nicely, though the success of the protagonists was more due to serendipity than their own efforts. I enjoyed this book and thought parts of it were fascinating, but sometimes I just found myself wishing that the characters were just smarter. ( )
  Phrim | Jan 21, 2017 |
My love affair with Jo Walton continues. This is a wildly entertaining, nearly unputdownable book. If you're a fan of Trollope, or of Downton Abbey, this novel is for you. Assuming that you're willing to overlook the fact that all of the characters are dragons. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Apparently, Tooth and Claw has been stylistically compared to Jane Austen if Jane were to interpose her humans with dragons. Walton insists that there is little to no Austen in it and rather the inception is thanks to Trollope. Having not read any Trollope, a travesty that must be addressed, I cannot attest to that, but since authors know best when it comes to their own work, I would be inclined to agree.

Beyond the Victorian sensibilities, what I did manage to discern was that the world-building was multi-layered, complex and wonderfully disturbing. No society is without it's tragic flaws. Walton's dragons have a habit of consuming each other; so much that Church and State have strong dictates of what is considered lawful and/or sinful. The climax of the novel is the civil suit against the son-in-law of a patriarch dragon who is deemed to have eaten too much of his dead father-in-law. I cannot tell you how amazing it is to type that sentence out! Can you imagine how hilarious it was to actually write this book? Not that this book is funny, it is not at all, taking itself as seriously as any upper-class English nobility from the 19th century would have tended to do. Tooth and Claw is brimming with simply glorious teeny tiny details that entertained me to no end. I love when the tried and true version of fantasy or myth are reinvented or simply explored more thoroughly resulting in an almost anthropological study.

I highly recommend this book simply for the sheer pleasure of discovering what is deemed an acceptable amount of dead dragon that a son, daughter and son-in-law are allowed to eat. For my full review visit my blog Thank the Maker: http://girlsguidetoscifi.blogspot.ca/2014/10/to-eat-your-own-review-of-tooth-and... ( )
  HollyBest | Jun 9, 2016 |
So now, I have read Jane Austen, Jane Austen with "magic", Jane Austen with zombies, Jane Austen in today's world, Jane Austen wannabes, and now this book: Jane Austen with dragons. All in all, I enjoyed the mannerisms and the story and a revisiting of a favorite author's style. ( )
  bookczuk | Apr 22, 2016 |

Walton, Joprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elwell, TristanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grossman, HowardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Man, her last work, who seem'd so fair,
Such splendid purpose in his eyes,
Who roll'd the psalm to wintry skies,
Who built him fanes of fruitless prayer,

Who trusted God was love indeed
And love Creation's final law—
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed—

Who loved, who suffer'd countless ills,
Who battled for the True, the Just,
Be blown about the desert dust,
Or seal'd within the iron hills?

No more? A monster then, a dream,
A discord. Dragons of the prime,
That tare each other in their slime,
Were mellow music match'd with him.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson, from
In Memoriam AHH, 1850.
She'd like me to bring a dragon home, I suppose. It would serve her right if I did, some creature that would make the house intolerable to her.

Anthony Trollope, Framley Parsonage, 1859
This is for my aunt, Mary Lace, for coming so far down the road towards fantasy for me, and for coming down so many other roads with me, plenty of them real as well as metaphorical.
Bon Agornin writhed on his deathbed, his wings beating as if he would fly to his new life in his old body.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765349094, Mass Market Paperback)

A tale of love, money, and family conflict--among dragons

A family deals with the death of their father. A son goes to court for his inheritance. Another son agonises over his father's deathbed confession. One daughter becomes involved in the abolition movement, while another sacrifices herself for her husband.

And everyone in the tale is a dragon, red in tooth and claw.

Here is a world of politics and train stations, of churchmen and family retainers, of courtship and country houses...in which, on the death of an elder, family members gather to eat the body of the deceased. In which the great and the good avail themselves of the privilege of killing and eating the weaker children, which they do with ceremony and relish, growing stronger thereby.

You have never read a novel like Tooth and Claw.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:01 -0400)

"Jo Walton returns with a very different kind of fantasy story: the tale of a family dealing with the death of their father, of a son who goes to law for his inheritance, a son who agonizes over his father's deathbed confession, a daughter who falls in love, a daughter who becomes involved in the abolition movement, and a daughter sacrificing herself for her husband." "Except that everyone in the story is a dragon, red in tooth and claw." "Here is a world of politics and train stations, of churchmen and family retainers, of courtship and country houses...in which, on the death of an elder, family members gather to eat the body of the deceased. In which society's high-and-mighty members avail themselves of the privilege of killing and eating the weaker children, which they do with ceremony and relish, growing stronger thereby."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,470,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible