The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring…

The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus (2004)

by Bev Vincent

The book contains some interesting information, but as a straight read it can be a bit repetitive. Simultaneously it can be hard to know what you can and cannot safely skip. ( )
  Frenzie | Mar 29, 2017 |
Having finished the Dark Tower books, but not willing to leave Roland and his ka-tet quite yet, I read The Road To The Dark Tower to take one more trip into Roland's world. I wasn't disappointed. The book begins with an overview of the history of the books and there is a chapter for each of the seven books, describing and analyzing the action in each one. The rest of the chapters deal with other Stephen King books that are related to the Dark Tower series; a detailed description of each major character in the books; works that influenced the series; discussion of whether the books are Stephen King's Magnum Opus; two time lines (fact and fictional); a mid-world glossary; Dark Tower on the web; and the poem the influence the dark Tower series "Childe Roland To The Dark Tower Came".

I bought this book because I recognize Bev Vincent's name from his numerous posts on various Stephen King forums and newsletters and am always impressed with his knowledge. This book is a prefect example, even though I've read all of the Dark Tower books (the early ones several times), I still learned things I hadn't known before. Although the entire book was good, I find the chapters summarizing the books the most interesting, especially where Bev pointed out things that foreshadowed the ending of the last Dark Tower book.

Dark Tower fans will love this book ( )
  drebbles | Jul 9, 2015 |
I discovered Bev Vincent's The Road to the Dark Tower mere weeks after finishing the final Dark Tower novel. It was catharsis for a concluded series that I was still trying to make sense of. After all, I had followed Roland's Ka-Tet along the Path of the Beam for years and the ending was both heartbreaking and bizarre. To say I had a few questions would have been an understatement. Bev Vincent retread towards the Dark Tower—along with his review of King's related works—helped me find a few answers. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Apr 21, 2015 |
A wonderful Dark Tower reference book, it has absolutly everything you need to know about the series, including summaries of each book, characters, a timeline, information from King on how it all came together, connections to his other novels, and more. A must have for any Dark Tower fan! ( )
  Blazingice0608 | Jun 26, 2008 |

Reference guide/companion to

I have not forgotten the face of my father, Donald Vincent, gone to the clearing at the end of the path July 1, 1927-January 3, 2003
A gunslinger rides into town, sitting tall in his saddle.

In 1970, Stephen King embarked on what would become the crowning achievement in his literary career-the Dark Tower. The seven-volume series, written and published over a period of 30 years, was inspired by Robert Browning's poem "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came," as well as J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, and the spaghetti Westerns of Sergio Leone.

With the full cooperation of Stephen King himself, The Road to the Dark Tower examines the epic journey of the author to complete a story that threatened to overwhelm him. In this indispensable companion, Bev Vincent presents a book-by-book analysis of each volume in the series, tracing the Dark Tower's connections to King's other novels including The Stand, Insomnia, and Hearts in Atlantis, and offering insights from the author about the creative process involved in crafting his lifelong work-a work that has consumed not only Stephen King, but his legion of devoted readers. This is essential reading for any Dark Tower-or Stephen King-fan.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:51 -0400)

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,352,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible