Thornspell by Helen Lowe

Thornspell (2008)

by Helen Lowe

It took me a chapter or two to warm to this book, as Lowe's writing style is quite dry at times, but once I got used to it, I gobbled it down within days. It is an interesting take on the Sleeping Beauty story, with some nice little twists to it and good development of characters and plot. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
A retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story but from the viewpoint of the prince who saves her. This was a great book, perfect for the tween girl who likes fairy tales but thinks she is too old for them. We read as the prince grows up, trains for the fight to save the princess and the evil forces that try to stop him. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to recommending. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 29, 2013 |
Sigismund lives in a castle next to a wood whilst his father, the king, is away fighting in the south. There are lots of stories about the wood but all Sigismund knew for sure was that his grandfather had forbidden anyone to enter it. Things begin to change when a mysterious lady in a fine carriage talks to Sigismund and tries to give him a ring.
This is a delightful retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story featuring a thoughtful boy who grows into his role as hero. ( )
  RefPenny | Mar 7, 2011 |
Boys, don't be put off by my description of this book as a fabulous tale woven around the old Grimm fairy story of the Sleeping Beauty. The author takes the part of the prince who eventually releases the magic spell that holds not only the princess, but the castle, the nearby forest, other people and the fate of the Prince Sigand the kingdom. To overcome the spell Sigismund must learn fighting skills and how to use the sword, Quickthorn. He must discern what is real and what is illusion, who to trust and who not to trust, and use all his courage and strength as he faces evil and danger. I think the author, Helen Lowe, has a huge writing future ahead of her and I look forward to reading her new novel, heir of night.
I recommend this book for good readers aged about 10 and older. ( )
  Leov | Feb 23, 2011 |
The chapters in this book were REALLY long, which made it a poor choice for reading before bed. I think that with shorter chapters, I would have enjoyed this book a lot more; when I was winding down and feeling sleepy, parts of this story just felt a little too slow-moving and detailed to me.

But with that said, I really like the idea of a Sleeping Beauty retelling from the Prince's perspective (he's the one who remains awake, after all). Certain aspects of the story were fairly predictable, but there were a few twists that took me by surprise. And while a few passages reeked of "first novel" (such as some awkward dialogue near the end where all the characters analyzed their experience), the story did a good job of making fairy tale reality complex and multi-dimensional, and I was especially impressed with the story's climax scenes, which were as vivid as a film without having that terrible "book-that-wants-to-be-a-movie" feel. All-in-all, a worthwhile read. ( )
  sedeara | Jun 16, 2009 |

Helen Lowe reimagines the Sleeping Beauty story from the point of view of the prince who is destined to wake the enchanted princess in this lush, romantic fantasy-adventure.

Prince Sigismund has grown up hearing fantastical stories about enchantments and faie spells, basilisks and dragons, knights-errant and heroic quests. He'd love for them to be true—he's been sheltered in a country castle for most of his life and longs for adventure—but they are just stories. Or are they?

From the day that a mysterious lady in a fine carriage speaks to him through the castle gates, Sigismund's world starts to shift. He begins to dream of a girl wrapped, trapped, in thorns. He dreams of a palace, utterly still, waiting. He dreams of a man in red armor, riding a red horse—and then suddenly that man arrives at the castle!

Sigismund is about to learn that sometimes dreams are true, that the world is both more magical and more dangerous than he imagined, and that the heroic quest he imagined for himself as a boy . . . begins now.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:25 -0400)

In this elaboration of "Sleeping Beauty," Prince Sigismund, having grown up in a remote castle dreaming of going on knightly quests, has had only a passing interest in the forbidden wood lying beyond the castle gates until a brief encounter with a beautiful and mysterious lady changes his life forever.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible