Sandman Companion (Sandman) by Hy Bender

Sandman Companion (Sandman) (edition 2000)

by Hy Bender

Member:litenstein
Title:Sandman Companion (Sandman)
Authors:Hy Bender
Info:Titan Books Ltd (2000), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 288 pages

The Sandman Companion by Hy Bender

Hanging Out with the Dream King by Joe McCabe (elwen)
    The Sandman Papers: An Exploration of the Sandman Mythology by Joe Sanders (Jannes)
    Jannes: Academic treatment of the Sandman comics. Worthwhile for the enthusiast.

This companion volume greatly enhanced my enjoyment and understanding of Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. There is a chapter dedicated to each one of the 10 Sandman volumes, as well as additional material. Each chapter associated with a volume includes a brief plot summary, comments from Bender on aspects worth noticing, and interviews with Gaiman himself.

I particularly liked the "things worth noticing" sections because some of the items were very subtle, things that I had completely missed on first reading. I got into the habit of reading the volume first so as to avoid seeing spoilers, then I would read the relevant section in the companion, and after that, I would return to the volume for a second look. Of course, some of the fun would be in discovering these things on your own, but I would probably have needed a second, third or even fourth reading to catch them all. ( )
  mathgirl40 | Dec 13, 2013 |
A great companion read to the Sandman series which covers many of the themes and images in the series as well as its characters. Gaiman himself is given a huge amount of space (via interviews) to explain his backgrounds and thought processes when he was creating this universe and all of them are enlightening. There is also room made for many of the artists involved to at least comment briefly on their respective parts. If you want to delve deeper into the creation of the saga, Bender's companion is a highly recommended place to start. The only complaint I have is that Bender sometimes tries a little too hard to find themes between the stories of one collected volume - they were, at least in the beginning, created as separate comic magazines and, although Gaiman had an overall plan, even he didn't know the series would run as long as he did. It is a small complaint, though, since the benefits of the book are great. ( )
  -Eva- | Jul 6, 2013 |
This is it: the last Sandman spin-off out there, until Sandman: Year Zero finally comes out. Hy Bender's book looks back at Neil Gaiman's series, breaking it down by story arc, and providing plot summaries and analysis, with box outs on art. I don't get the reason for the summaries: if you didn't read these stories already, you wouldn't care; if you have, you'd get bored. It was over two years ago that I read The Sandman, and I still remembered enough to find these boring. There are occasional nuggets of insight in them, but that makes it all the worse, because you know you're missing out!

Aside from that, this was a pretty good book. The analysis is definitely driven by Bender's extensive interviews of Gaiman himself, and Gaiman remembers a surprising number of small details. Lots of great bits about what Gaiman was thinking, and Bender asks some good questions. (Though a couple of them feel like obvious setups.) If you're that into The Sandman, or you're just a completist like I am, it's worth picking up.

It did make me think that there's not really a lot of comics guidebooks out there, like there are for TV shows. (I have ones about Blake's 7, The PrisonerSapphire & Steel, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Torchwood, not to mention tons and tons of Doctor Who ones.) I wonder why that is? Would no one buy a guide to all (for example) Green Arrow comics?

Neil Gaiman's The Sandman Spin-Offs: « Previous in sequence
  Stevil2001 | Jan 14, 2013 |
The commentary track to one of the best comic book series ever. Hardly indispensible, but very interesting. ( )
  Jannes | Aug 26, 2011 |
This is an absolutely thrilling companion reader to the Sandman series. Most of the book is composed of interviews with Neil Gaiman, and the depth and wonder that he evokes when speaking about his writing is absolutely astonishing. Minute details from the series suddenly receive great importance, and the reader will begin to draw connections between characters and events that she may not have seen before. This is truly fantastic, and a must-read for any fan of the Sandman series. ( )
  RogueBelle | Jul 10, 2009 |
The next century's task will be to rediscover its gods. -ANDRE MALRAUX
We have the right, and the obligation, to tell old stories in our own ways, because they are OUR stories. -NEIL GAIMAN
To Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore, for their wit and kindness
Mysteries are vital to both our lives and the stories that sustain our lives.
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible