The Sandman Vol. 10: The Wake by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman Vol. 10: The Wake (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Neil Gaiman, Neil Gaiman, Mikal Gilmore, Michael Zulli (Illustrator), Michael Zulli (Introduction)3 more, Jon J. Muth (Illustrator), Charles Vess (Illustrator), Mikal Gilmore (Introduction)

4,084471,767 (4.46)1 / 62
Member:blakslaks
Title:The Sandman Vol. 10: The Wake
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Neil Gaiman, Mikal Gilmore, Michael Zulli (Illustrator), Michael Zulli (Introduction), Jon J. Muth (Illustrator)2 more, Charles Vess (Illustrator), Mikal Gilmore (Introduction)
Info:Vertigo (1997), Edition: illustrated edition, Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:*****

The Sandman: The Wake by Neil Gaiman (Author) (1997)

This volume contains my favorite art of the series but my least favorite stories. Which is not to say they are bad stories, it is merely that this is a volume intended to wrap up loose threads and reads as such. Nevertheless, even when 'sweeping up', Gaiman is an exemplary storyteller. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Dec 26, 2018 |
Una obra maestra. Un cierre maravilloso a una saga increíble. ( )
  Carla_Plumed | Dec 3, 2018 |
This is the last installment of the Sandman series, a long, epic, fantastic set of comics centered on the mysterious character of Lord Dream of the Endless. This tenth volume was a great and satisfying conclusion; I can't believe it's over. Although I do know there are two more volumes that are not exactly part of the series; anyway, at least I have those to look forward to. Also, I fully intend to reread this entire series at one point - it more than deserves a reread! ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
A good 'ending' piece to The Sandman works (though there is volumes 11 and 12, according to the back cover). 'The Wake' - like real wakes and funerals and memorials and viewings - was a bittersweet reviewing of the works of Sandman, with the future of Dream. Not Morpheus. Not Sandman, but Dream the Endless' future. The recapping of the lives of the secondary characters (Gadling, Rose, Lyta, Shakespeare, etc.) was a good way of making a Wake more than about just the person who died, but about those who were touched BY the person who died. Which is the true testament and legacy of a person (or character). How they touched the lives of others, how they bettered them, and things don't have to be optimistic, or hopeful, but that they continue, even with the death of the person/character, life continues for the rest of us, to be touched by others lives/characters and to learn from them, and to go to more funerals and wakes, and to some day have people go to our funeral and wake and recall how they were touched by our lives. ( )
  BenKline | Jan 28, 2018 |
It was interesting but I didn't like it enough to go on to read the rest of the series. This may well be due to the medium of the graphic novel, rather than Gaiman's skill as an author. ( )
  lydiasbooks | Jan 17, 2018 |

Muth, Jon J.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DanielColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zulli, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is for Dave McKean, as a small token of thanks.
I do not know what Sandman would have been without Dave, as our public face - creating the covers, the typefaces, the design, all that - and my hardest critic.
It was a long, strange journey, and it was the better for having a friend by my side on the way.
And it came to pass that a messenger was sent our to each member of the family.
Entropy and Optimism: the twin forces that make the universe go around.
I like the way colors taste. Except I don't like crimsons...or turquoises... especially when they put their heads into their shells and won't play, and when you break their shells to let them out, they die...
Thou look'st passing fair, milady, excepst thou manglest the Queen's good English and your tits are hanging out.
And then, fighting to stay asleep, wishing it would go on forever, sure that once the dream was over, it would never come back, ... you woke up.
I am prince of stories, Will, but I have no story of my own. Nor shall I ever.

Collects "The Wake" parts 1-4, "Exiles" and "The Tempest," originally published in The Sandman #70-75.

The king of dreams is dead. Now the ancient gods, old friends, and enemies gather to pay tribute.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,784,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible