The Wake (Sandman, Book 10) by Neil Gaiman

The Wake (Sandman, Book 10) (original 1997; edition 1995)

by Neil Gaiman

3,661451,439 (4.44)1 / 51
Member:G_Riv
Title:The Wake (Sandman, Book 10)
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:
Collections:Read, Unowned
Rating:***
Tags:comic

The Sandman: The Wake by Neil Gaiman (1997)

The Basics

This being the tenth volume of The Sandman, it’s hard to write about this without ultimately spoiling anyone. A lot of things have changed via the ending of the previous volume, and Gaiman is wrapping things up and saying some goodbyes.

My Thoughts

This is a weird review to write. I’ve been spending the last, several years, since I got into Gaiman, reading my way through The Sandman. As a result, this was pretty bittersweet. Dream has changed forms, and the title of this volume, The Wake, rings true. Everyone who ever knew Morpheus is showcased here, with glad and sour memories of him mixing all together in this big bowl of emotions. It was hard not to feel a pang, because this clearly wasn’t just his goodbye. It was for the reader, as well, and it was felt.

The last comic that rounds out the entire series really was a nice touch. It was Gaiman returning to the storyline that made The Sandman so famous in the literary crowd with a play on William Shakespeare’s The Tempest and the playwright’s life, his mission to write plays for Morpheus. In wrapping that subplot up, he manages to do the same for the series as a whole, and it makes for a lovely final farewell to Dream and his realm.

I wish I knew what else to say, but this volume was short and mostly nostalgic for someone who’s been working through the series as I have. It’s sort of a personal journey, ending something so big like this, and not something I can critique the merits of with anything other than the verbal equivalent of a sad smile. I do still have Endless Nights ahead of me. That’s a comfort.

Final Rating

5/5 ( )
  Nickidemus | Sep 18, 2014 |
The blurb on the back claims that "THE WAKE is the tenth and penultimate [sic] volume in THE SANDMAN LIBRARY." However, this is in fact the last — and it's great. I think it could've done without the last story though. Was Gaiman drawing a parallel between himself and Shakespeare there, or at least in regard to The Sandman? It just seemed a bit forced.
  Frenzie | Feb 19, 2014 |
Great finish to a wonderful story. ( )
  davepdavis | Feb 6, 2014 |
This is my third re-read of Sandman, which given I don't own the books and have to scrounge them off friends is a sign of how much I like them. They're very well woven, and really benefit from being read back-to-back. I love the subtlety of the messages, and the fact that you can draw some very contradictory morals from them... ( )
  atreic | Jan 16, 2014 |
In this book, we find the Endless mourning the loss of one their own, Dream. I have not read the previous story, so I really don't know why Dream is dead. But, like all Incarnations, Dream is reborn, just different.

I liked this book. It is sad, happy, hopeful, angry, full of emotions all at the same time. We see all of Dreams brothers and sisters. And, they react in different ways.

As always the story sits just at the edge of understanding - The art in this book is fabulous. My only suggestion is maybe read the previous novel first. It is a bit disjointed without knowing what happened. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 1, 2013 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muth, Jon J.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Zulli, MichaelIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is for Dave McKean, as a small token of thanks.
I do not know what Sandman would have been without Dave, as our public face - creating the covers, the typefaces, the design, all that - and my hardest critic.
It was a long, strange journey, and it was the better for having a friend by my side on the way.
And it came to pass that a messenger was sent our to each member of the family.
Entropy and Optimism: the twin forces that make the universe go around.
I like the way colors taste. Except I don't like crimsons...or turquoises... especially when they put their heads into their shells and won't play, and when you break their shells to let them out, they die...
Thou look'st passing fair, milady, excepst thou manglest the Queen's good English and your tits are hanging out.
And then, fighting to stay asleep, wishing it would go on forever, sure that once the dream was over, it would never come back, ... you woke up.
I am prince of stories, Will, but I have no story of my own. Nor shall I ever.
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Collects "The Wake" parts 1-4, "Exiles" and "The Tempest," originally published in The Sandman #70-75.

The king of dreams is dead. Now the ancient gods, old friends, and enemies gather to pay tribute.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,407,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible