The Sandman Vol. 10: The Wake by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman Vol. 10: The Wake (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Neil Gaiman, Neil Gaiman, Mikal Gilmore, Michael Zulli (Illustrator), Jon J. Muth (Illustrator)2 more, Charles Vess (Illustrator), Mikal Gilmore (Introduction)

3,598None1,460 (4.45)1 / 46
Member:mike_frank
Title:The Sandman Vol. 10: The Wake
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Neil Gaiman, Mikal Gilmore, Michael Zulli (Illustrator), Jon J. Muth (Illustrator), Charles Vess (Illustrator)1 more, Mikal Gilmore (Introduction)
Info:Vertigo (1997), Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Your library, Use for Recommendations
Rating:****1/2

The Sandman: The Wake by Neil Gaiman (1997)

20th century (19) British (14) comic (93) comic book (23) comic books (22) comics (333) dark fantasy (15) DC (23) death (34) dream (29) dreams (35) endless (46) English (16) fantasy (402) fiction (276) gaiman (70) graphic (22) graphic novel (760) horror (44) mythology (101) Neil Gaiman (66) own (13) read (67) sandman (340) sandman series (21) series (51) sff (22) Shakespeare (17) urban fantasy (16) Vertigo (63)

The blurb on the back claims that "THE WAKE is the tenth and penultimate [sic] volume in THE SANDMAN LIBRARY." However, this is in fact the last — and it's great. I think it could've done without the last story though. Was Gaiman drawing a parallel between himself and Shakespeare there, or at least in regard to The Sandman? It just seemed a bit forced.
  Frenzie | Feb 19, 2014 |
Great finish to a wonderful story. ( )
  davepdavis | Feb 6, 2014 |
This is my third re-read of Sandman, which given I don't own the books and have to scrounge them off friends is a sign of how much I like them. They're very well woven, and really benefit from being read back-to-back. I love the subtlety of the messages, and the fact that you can draw some very contradictory morals from them... ( )
  atreic | Jan 16, 2014 |
In this book, we find the Endless mourning the loss of one their own, Dream. I have not read the previous story, so I really don't know why Dream is dead. But, like all Incarnations, Dream is reborn, just different.

I liked this book. It is sad, happy, hopeful, angry, full of emotions all at the same time. We see all of Dreams brothers and sisters. And, they react in different ways.

As always the story sits just at the edge of understanding - The art in this book is fabulous. My only suggestion is maybe read the previous novel first. It is a bit disjointed without knowing what happened. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Dec 1, 2013 |
The last two volumes of this series have made me come to the conclusion I don't really like Neil Gaiman. I want to. I really do. I enjoyed some of the earlier books in this series ([b:The Sandman, Vol. 4: Season of Mists|8462092|The Sandman, Vol. 4 Season of Mists (New Edition)|Neil Gaiman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1310185617s/8462092.jpg|25854]). When it comes down to it I am not interested. And I have tried multiple books and graphic novels of his. ( )
  renrav | Sep 22, 2013 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muth, Jon J.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Zulli, MichaelIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is for Dave McKean, as a small token of thanks.
I do not know what Sandman would have been without Dave, as our public face - creating the covers, the typefaces, the design, all that - and my hardest critic.
It was a long, strange journey, and it was the better for having a friend by my side on the way.
And it came to pass that a messenger was sent our to each member of the family.
Entropy and Optimism: the twin forces that make the universe go around.
I like the way colors taste. Except I don't like crimsons...or turquoises... especially when they put their heads into their shells and won't play, and when you break their shells to let them out, they die...
Thou look'st passing fair, milady, excepst thou manglest the Queen's good English and your tits are hanging out.
And then, fighting to stay asleep, wishing it would go on forever, sure that once the dream was over, it would never come back, ... you woke up.
I am prince of stories, Will, but I have no story of my own. Nor shall I ever.
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Collects "The Wake" parts 1-4, "Exiles" and "The Tempest," originally published in The Sandman #70-75.

Everyone gathers to remember and pay tribute to the fallen King of Dreams, bringing to a close the long story of Morpheus of The Endless.--P. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,490,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible