The Green Beauty Guide: Your Essential…

The Green Beauty Guide: Your Essential Resource to Organic and Natural…

by Julie Gabriel

For those who are already taking action to eat more clean, green and local, this is the next logical step - caring for your body in the same manner. Since our skin is the largest organ of the body some may argue this is equally as important as eating organically. This book delves more deeply and more scientifically into caring for the outside of your body in a green manner than any of the other natural beauty titles I've read so far. For that, I give it four stars.

I'm unsure if it was a conscience effort, but things are hammered home repeatedly. I could see the author and editor deciding it was necessary since the information is much more scientific in nature than most other titles in this genre. As someone with a fairly extensive background in science I found it a bit aggravating and at times felt things were repeated just to meet arbitrary page counts.

Many reviews of this title at major booksellers pan the book for the author contradicting herself on her blog. I can overlook that, as the title is now several years old and there is new knowledge about chemicals and their impact on humans discovered everyday. Things could have changed rather dramatically from when she first drafted the manuscript to when it actually hit shelves, not to mention what has been learned in the several years since it was first released. That said, I did find she also contradicted herself within the book at times. Either that, or she was unclear between telling the reader what an specific ingredient's role was and telling us it was an okay ingredient for our homemade beauty concoctions. There were definitely ingredients I took as being okay that they showed up in the 100 Ingredients to Avoid list at the back of the book.

The book has a very thorough index, as well as bibliographic information for each chapter which I really appreciate so that I can do my own research into some of the things myself. The resources section for suppliers of some ingredients called for is helpful, though I expect could have been a bit more extensive. The format and layout of the book makes it pretty easy to use as a reference. Though while I checked the title out from my local library I think I will be purchasing an electronic version of it for my own library because of the ease at which I can take notes that are searchable.

Sprinkled throughout the book are some recipes for creating your own green beauty products. They were pretty standard and did not stand out to me as being terribly different than many other natural beauty titles that are more focused on recipes. Some of the recipes do call for harder to source ingredients, however.

Overall, this is one of the most comprehensive natural beauty titles I've found. Though I do think one has to be prepared to make their own judgments about product ingredients and such. It is, however, a good place to start researching the ingredients in your commercial beauty products. ( )
  fiberfool | Mar 27, 2011 |
Full of useful information about how to analyze beauty products in order to buy ones that are the most natural and least toxic. This book contains a large list of ingredients you do not want in your beauty products along with their known effects. There is also a nice list of ingredients to use in making your own products, along with recipes for skin and hair care. It's clear the author has done a large amount of scientific research in putting this volume together. ( )
  infogirl | Aug 31, 2009 |
Most women will look in Cosmo or other beauty magazines for the latest cosmetic and fashion tips, but what many of these magazines don't tell you is that the products manufactured by these companies are using chemicals and other compounds that once your skin absorbs them could cause other ailments or problems. While I don't readily wear makeup or use cosmetics, I gladly took on a TLC Book Tour stop for Julie Gabriel's The Green Beauty Guide. I love holistic looks at our everyday lives and books that seek to provide an alternate perspective to how we live our lives whether its from turning holiday celebrations green or learning how to reduce our own carbon footprints.

The Green Beauty Guide goes beyond the typical fad advice given by glossy magazines, providing the reader with recipes to create their own natural shampoos, facials, and other products, while at the same time providing readers with the know-how to become savvy cosmetics shoppers. Check out the Ten Commandments of Green Beauty at the end of Chapter 2.

Through a combination of science, insider information about the cosmetic industry and government regulation, and common sense, Gabriel dispels some of the myths espoused by the cosmetics industry. For instance, did you know that the skin absorbs about 60 percent of the substances applied to its surface? I didn't, but now that I do, I plan to be more careful about what solutions I use. Think about your morning routine. . .how many cleansers, lotions, and gels do you use before you leave the house each day? Examine the ingredients of those bottles, and you'll see exactly how many chemicals you expose your skin to every day. Given the complexity of skin and other systems throughout the body, it is no wonder that diet, exercise, and other behaviors can influence how well those systems function. Beauty or the health of your skin is tied to all of those things and more.

One of the best sections in the book discusses green washing, which will help those newly interested in the "green" movement to discern which products actually are safer for them and made from natural products, and which are merely using the presence of natural products to claim they are "green" or organic. Gabriel even provides Green Products Guide with a one-, two-, three-leaf system that categorizes how natural a product is. Other helpful sections of the book provide ways to make your own green beauty products, with a list of necessary tools, ingredients, and tips on where to purchase the ingredients. I also was surprised to find green beauty tips for babies in terms of diaper area care, massage oils, baby wipes, and bathing for babies.

Overall, this guide has a great many tips for those looking to expand the care of themselves and their environment into cosmetics and beauty care. I recommend this for those who wear makeup, lotions, shampoos, conditioners, and other products, which is pretty much everyone. We all should take better care of our planet and ourselves, and what better way than to start with the beauty products we use. ( )
  sagustocox | Dec 7, 2008 |
“The Green Beauty Guide” is more than a guide, it is actually a fairly comprehensive resource. Gabriel spent many years as a beauty and fashion reporter, so she has probably tried nearly every skin care and cosmetic product available. In “The Green Beauty Guide,” Gabriel begins by teaching us about our own skin, then about many of the toxic chemicals that are often used in the pursuit of beauty - including what to look for on ingredient lists and what to avoid. Finally, she transitions to what green beauty is and how, specifically, to achieve green beauty.

The first few chapters can be a bit overwhelming if you are not familiar with beauty chemicals or the precise way your skin works. It is fairly technical at the beginning. I would encourage readers to stick through it, though, and just get from it as much as they can. Once you have read the first five chapters, you can simply reference the last eleven when you want to buy or make a specific product. Don’t feel this is a book you need to read the whole way through.
If you are interested in making your beauty regimen greener to improve your health and that of the environment, “The Green Beauty Guide” would be a great resource.

Full review: http://www.devourerofbooks.com/2008/10/the-green-beauty-guide-book-review/ ( )
  DevourerOfBooks | Oct 15, 2008 |
To My Sweet Little Masha

Go green and get gorgeous

The promise of beauty is as close as the drugstore aisle—shampoo that gives your hair more body, lotions that smooth away wrinkles, makeup that makes your skin look flawless, and potions that take it all off again. But while conventional products say they'll make you more beautiful, they contain toxins and preservatives that are both bad for the environment and bad for your body—including synthetic fragrances, petrochemicals, and even formaldehyde. In the end, they damage your natural vitality and good looks.

Fortunately, fashion writer, nutritionist, and beauty maven Julie Gabriel helps you find the true path to natural, healthy, green beauty. She helps you decipher labels on every cosmetic product you pick up and avoid toxic and damaging chemicals with her detailed Toxic Ingredients List. You'll learn valuable tips on what your skin really needs to be healthy, glowing, and youthful.

Julie goes one-step further—and shows you how to make your own beauty products that feed your skin, save your bank account, and are healthy for your body and the environment, such as:

• Cleansing creams and oils • toners • facials • under eye circle remedies • anti-aging serums • lip balms • scrubs • exfoliators • clay and cleansing masks
• moisturizers • acne treatments • makeup remover • teeth whiteners • shampoos, conditioners • fragrances • sun protection • bug repellants • baby products • and much more!

With her friendly, thorough, and helpful advice; fabulous beauty recipes; product recommendations and ratings; Toxic Ingredients List; and a complete appendix of online resources, Julie Gabriel gives you all the information you need to go green without going broke and become a more natural, healthy, and beautiful you.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:21 -0400)

Examines the differences between natural, organic, and biodynamic products, discusses how to shop for the best products for the best prices, offers instructions for making homemade cleansers and toner, and includes other practical suggestions for natural skin, teeth, and hair care. Original.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,087,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible