The Sandman Vol. 2: The Doll's House by Neil…

The Sandman Vol. 2: The Doll's House (edition 2010)

by Neil Gaiman, Various

5,93681704 (4.32)1 / 209
Title:The Sandman Vol. 2: The Doll's House
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Various
Info:Vertigo (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 232 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2013
Tags:Graphic Novel, 2013 Challenge, Category: Neil Gaiman - Graphic Novels, Yearly Group Read, TIOLI #22: A Book Mostly Filled With Pictures

The Sandman: The Doll's House by Neil Gaiman

Recently added byprivate library, ZungBang, Sarahhal, cyanic, marxalot, DShaunS, MizPurplest, plexippa, liso

English (77)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (81)
Talvez o ponto alto seja mesmo a Cereal Convention. E talvez não.
Ao nível do 1.º vol, senão melhor.

Mais um volume digno da designação «obra-colateral-em-quarto-grau». ( )
  Ritinha_ | Aug 26, 2015 |
Amazing. ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
Further into the series. Some good ideas here. Liked the cereal convention episode. Disturbing stuff. On to number three. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jul 2, 2015 |
Volume two of the Sandman saga features a young woman who is a ‘dream vortex’, unknowingly capable of wreaking havoc on all of humanity while they sleep, four people (ok three people and a place) who have escaped the world of dreams and entered the real world, and a convention of serial killers. It also introduces two more of the “Endless”, Desire and Delirium, who try to manipulate and ensnare their older brother Dream (Morpheus). My favorite parts were actually those that were a little offline of the main plot – the Prologue, telling of an ancient legend, and “Men of Good Fortune”, telling of a man who lives for centuries and makes an appointment to meet Morpheus every 100 years. (He also meets Shakespeare and others, so he reminded me of ‘Orlando’ but I digress). As with volume one, it’s good writing, dark in places, has nice artwork, and makes me want to keep reading. ( )
1 vote gbill | Jun 7, 2015 |
Volume II begins with a recap of everything that happened in the first volume. There’s a story set in the midst of a barren desert about a queen named Nada. She falls in love at first sight, but she can’t find the man who stole her heart.

Then we move onto Rose the main character in this volume. She discovers her real grandmother is alive and well in England. She returns to America to search for her missing brother Jed. She moves into a boarding house with a collection of strange characters, Gilbert the landlord, Ken and Barbie, and two creepy sisters who collects spiders.

We learn that Rose is actually a dream vortex and her presence is causing problems. While the people in the boarding house all dream very different dreams, but walls begin to break down and Rose's vortex merges their dreams. Meanwhile Morpheus is searching for the missing nightmares who escaped from the dream world while he was imprisoned. We also stop by a horrifying “cereal” convention. Without going into detail I’ll just note that this part was seriously scary.

One of my favorite stories in this volume was about Hobbs, a man who wants to live forever. He meets Morpheus and the two decide to meet up once every hundred years. During that time they run into Shakespeare and other major historical events. I love that Morpheus, who is so lonely and distant, finally has a friend of sorts in Hobbs.

Neil Gaiman always weaves mythology, religion, fables, and pieces of history together in such an interesting way. Nothing is off limits in his writing. I love that he uses all those elements in his stories. It’s the plot, not the illustrations that keep me coming back to these. Although I do love how every character’s thoughts and dialogue has a different font.

BOTTOM LINE: Whenever I read one of the Sandman comics I struggle with how dark some of the content is. But when I get to the end I tend to love the overarching message, depth of character and the well-thought-out plot. I am glad that I got a more balanced taste of the Sandman comics instead of just stopping after the very first one, but I do think they are a bit too dark for me.

"Life as a human contains substance I never dreamed of in the dreaming, Lord. The little victories, and the tiny defeats." ( )
  bookworm12 | Feb 12, 2015 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bachalo, ChrisIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dringenberg, MikeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Zulli, MichaelIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
"Dreams and visions are infused into men for their advantage and instruction..." -Artemidoros at Daldus, Oneirocritica Second Century A.D.
"Dreams are weird and stupid and they scare me." -Rose Walker April 1990
For Pete Atkins, Nick Vince, Anne and Kate Bobby for no particular reason (Neil Gaiman)
To GiGi, Paula and Eric (Mike Dringenberg)
To Malcolm Campbell (Malcolm Jones III)
There are tales that are told many times.
We do not murder for a profit. We do not murder for governments, or for hire. We kill to kill. We are entrepreneurs in an expanding field.
Collects "The Doll's House" parts 1-8, originally published in The Sandman #9-16. Early editions also include "The Sound of Her Wings" from The Sandman #8.

New York Times best-selling author Neil Gaiman's transcendent series SANDMAN is often hailed as the definitive Vertigo title and one of the finest achievements in graphic storytelling. Gaiman created an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision. During Morpheus's incarceration, three dreams escaped the Dreaming and are now loose in the waking world. At the same time, a young woman named Rose Walker is searching for her little brother. As their stories converge, a vortex is discovered that could destroy all dreamers, and the world itself. Features an introduction by Clive Barker. This volume includes issues 8-16 of the original series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:33 -0400)

In the dream world of the Sandman, Rose Walker encounters many bizzare things in the doll's house, including a serial killer convention, long-lost relatives, and herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,708,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible