The Sandman Vol. 2: The Doll's House by Neil…

The Sandman Vol. 2: The Doll's House (edition 1991)

by Neil Gaiman, Chris Bachalo Jones, et al. Malcolm (Illustrator), K. C. Carlson (Editor), Clive Barker (Introduction)

6,22284652 (4.31)1 / 218
Member:tamster008
Title:The Sandman Vol. 2: The Doll's House
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Chris Bachalo Jones, et al. Malcolm (Illustrator), K. C. Carlson (Editor), Clive Barker (Introduction)
Info:DC Comics (1991), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:20th century, British, graphic novel, fantasy, The Sandman

The Sandman: The Doll's House by Neil Gaiman (Author)

English (80)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (84)
Genial på sina ställen, oförståelig på andra. ( )
  BellaStormborn | Aug 1, 2016 |
Just like with volume 1, this really is a great story. The characters are deep, complex, emotional, and real. The world building is fantastic, and imaginary. The story plot and pacing are fine-tuned to the point of near perfection. In fact, this book had me hooked more than the first. It really is that good.

But it's not 5 stars. Why?

Morbidity. Surrealism. Grotesqueness. There are disturbing images and story lines. And to be frank, I just don't care for it. When I'm reading on the train, I feel like I need to hide the pages I'm reading to not offend someone sitting next to me. I shouldn't have to do that with a book. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
*Book source ~ Library

From Goodreads:
NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author Neil Gaiman's transcendent series SANDMAN is often hailed as the definitive Vertigo title and one of the finest achievements in graphic storytelling. Gaiman created an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision.
A being that has existed since the beginning of the universe, Morpheus rules over the realm of dreams. In THE DOLL’S HOUSE, after a decades-long imprisonment, the Sandman has returned to find that a few dreams and nightmares have escaped to reality. Looking to recapture his lost possessions, Morpheus ventures to the human plane only to learn that a woman named Rose Walker has inadvertently become a dream vortex and threatens to rip apart his world. Now as Morpheus takes on the last escaped nightmare at a serial killers convention, the Lord of Dreams must mercilessly murder Rose or risk the destruction of his entire kingdom.

Collecting issues #9-16, this new edition of THE DOLL’S HOUSE features the improved production values and coloring from the Absolute Edition.

I’m not really understanding this series much better, but I am enjoying it. Does that make sense? No? Too bad, that’s how I feel. LOL There’s a lot going on in these stories. It centers around Rose Walker and the fact she’s a Vortex. A Vortex happens about once an era and that person can destroy the world, so Dream (or Morpheus) can kill the person to protect the Dreaming and the world. Yeah, I don’t get it either, but it’s creative. During the stories about Rose though there are other stories. Such as what’s happening to her brother Jed and where the missing four entities (Glob, Brute, the Corinthian and Fiddler’s Green) from the Dreaming are. There’s the weird people who live in the house Rose’s rents a room in and the insane people who attend the Cereal Convention. Clever name for a convention considering they’re actually serial killers. That is just too bizarre and shudder-worthy. I don’t understand about Hob Gadling, but I take it he’ll be a recurring character. And the ending is confusing, where Dream talks to his sibling Desire. Maybe things will clear up as I go along. Also, I love the artwork. Especially Dream and I love how his word bubbles are so distinctive. I’m looking forward to starting the next volume.

In this volume:
Tales in the Sand ~ A story handed down from man to man.
The Doll’s House ~ Introduces Rose Walker
Moving In ~ Rose in search of her 12-yr-old brother, Jed
Playing House ~ Jed’s situation
Men of Good Fortune ~ Robert “Hob” Gadling doesn’t die
Collectors ~ Serial Killers convention
Into the Night ~ Rose becomes the Vortex
Lost Hearts ~ wraps up Rose’s story ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Jan 19, 2016 |
Excellent read, I shall be looking for the rest of them. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
Talvez o ponto alto seja mesmo a Cereal Convention. E talvez não.
Ao nível do 1.º vol, senão melhor.

Mais um volume digno da designação «obra-colateral-em-quarto-grau». ( )
  Ritinha_ | Aug 26, 2015 |

Zulli, MichaelIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Barker, CliveIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Busch, RobbieColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"Dreams and visions are infused into men for their advantage and instruction..." -Artemidoros at Daldus, Oneirocritica Second Century A.D.
"Dreams are weird and stupid and they scare me." -Rose Walker April 1990
For Pete Atkins, Nick Vince, Anne and Kate Bobby for no particular reason (Neil Gaiman)
To GiGi, Paula and Eric (Mike Dringenberg)
To Malcolm Campbell (Malcolm Jones III)
There are tales that are told many times.
We do not murder for a profit. We do not murder for governments, or for hire. We kill to kill. We are entrepreneurs in an expanding field.

Collects "The Doll's House" parts 1-8, originally published in The Sandman #9-16. Early editions also include "The Sound of Her Wings" from The Sandman #8.

New York Times best-selling author Neil Gaiman's transcendent series SANDMAN is often hailed as the definitive Vertigo title and one of the finest achievements in graphic storytelling. Gaiman created an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision. During Morpheus's incarceration, three dreams escaped the Dreaming and are now loose in the waking world. At the same time, a young woman named Rose Walker is searching for her little brother. As their stories converge, a vortex is discovered that could destroy all dreamers, and the world itself. Features an introduction by Clive Barker. This volume includes issues 8-16 of the original series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:33 -0400)

In the dream world of the Sandman, Rose Walker encounters many bizzare things in the doll's house, including a serial killer convention, long-lost relatives, and herself.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,485,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible