The Sandman: Dream country by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman: Dream country (edition 1991)

by Neil Gaiman

5,15363867 (4.24)1 / 189
Member:recordp
Title:The Sandman: Dream country
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:DC Comics (1991), Edition: Second Printing, Paperback

The Sandman: Dream Country by Neil Gaiman

English (59)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (63)
I liked these four stand alone stories before what I imagine will be the next story arc in the series. Enjoying them. Midsummer was very ambitious! ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jul 21, 2015 |
The third installment in the Sandman series is a disappointment, much shorter than the first two volumes, and uninspired. It’s as if Gaiman was experiencing the writer’s block the character in his first story has. That character unblocks himself by acquiring the ageless Calliope, one of the Muses, and I was not wild about the casualness with which Gaiman describes him raping her on their first night. The second story goes a long way to use the line at the end about it not being possible to get a thousand cats to agree to anything. The third story has faeries visiting Shakespeare and company and having them put on a performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, which is not all that original. The lone highlight was the character ‘Death’ in the last story, who, far from the traditional grim reaper, is a youthful looking woman who does her job in a friendly and reasonable way. Overall not horrible, but this one could have been skipped. ( )
1 vote gbill | Jul 4, 2015 |
This was a nice break from the previous two. By that I mean that I didn't have to look at a lurid illustration of an eyeball getting eaten. Somehow, despite this lack of gruesome, I still felt moved by and invested in the stories. Amazing. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
I love Neil Gaiman, and I love these graphic novels.

From this one, I particularly liked "Dream of a Thousand Cats" - love love love. :) ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
A great set of stand alone stories between stories. Gaiman's writing shows it's strength and the artist' interpretations are wonderful. ( )
  capiam1234 | Jul 14, 2014 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doran, ColleenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, KelleyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
"I do not know whether you know all that is to be known concerning small mirrors: but of this, silence." - Arthur Machen, in a letter to James Branch Cabell. 17 Feb. 1918
"Writers are liars." -Erasmus Fry, a conversation 5 May 1986
May, 1986. So what is it? It smells quite disgusting.
When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me when I leave.

Collects "Calliope," "A Dream of a Thousand Cats," "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and "Façade," originally published in The Sandman #17-20.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 156389016X, Paperback)

Absolutely NO publisher overstock or black remainder mark on page edges!! BRAND NEW, NEVER READ -- A+ MINT!! NO blemishes. From a dry/smoke free environment --Tight, crisp, and clean - you'll hear the book CRACK when opened. Published by Vertigo Press. Book has NO names, highlights, underlines, dog ears, loose pages, or wrinkles. Soft cover is in excellent condition and has cover illustration featuring the "wooden face"!! An exceptional copy! GIFT QUALITY!! NO remainder mark. NOT ex-library book with markings. I ship daily. Carefully packaged with bubble wrap for the journey and I provide email verification at time of shipment. Delivered in 3-6 days (Expedited) or 6 -14 days (Standard) -- additional delivery time required for AK, HI and APO. Expedited shipping recommended for speedy delivery. Book will ship same or next day! Customer service and satisfaction is a priority. Know EXACTLY what you are buying with my detailed description -- Full disclosure on all books all the time! Buy with conidence from an Amazon Pro-Merchant

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:29 -0400)

The third book of the Sandman collection is a series of four short comic book stories. In each of these otherwise unrelated stories, Morpheus serves only as a minor character. Here we meet the mother of Morpheus's son, find out what cats dream about, and discover the true origin behind Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night Dream.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,421,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible