The Sandman: Season of Mists by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman: Season of Mists

by Neil Gaiman, Mark Dringenberg (Illustrator), Kelley Jones (Illustrator), Matt Wagner (Illustrator)

4,87851947 (4.44)97
20th century (24) comic (127) comic book (42) comic books (31) comics (440) dark fantasy (23) DC (35) death (29) dream (32) dreams (52) endless (58) English (24) fantasy (537) fiction (377) gaiman (90) graphic (29) graphic novel (996) hell (48) horror (73) Lucifer (23) mythology (137) Neil Gaiman (80) own (21) read (100) sandman (420) series (76) sff (23) to-read (25) urban fantasy (27) Vertigo (90)

I liked it but thought the deux ex machina at the end was a bit jarring. More so than what started a fairly interesting chain of events, in any case.
  Frenzie | Feb 19, 2014 |
This was an enjoyable tale to re-read. It seems like this is the point at which the Sandman hit a consistent stride, balancing tales of larger-than-life mythological figures with some human (and nonhuman) drama. I particularly liked the way an epic plot point (the dead coming back to life worldwide) was dramatized by a story of one boy's encounter with the souls that flood back to their old boarding school. It was a nice departure from the parade of gods and superhumans, and it had that pleasantly creepy touch that Gaiman does so well. ( )
  phredfrancis | Feb 8, 2014 |
I could hunt for hidden meanings and depths in any story told in a dense, subtle manner. If I did that, I would come to a whole bunch of wrong conclusions while destroying the pleasure I had in reading it. So I will enjoy it as a story told with rare creativity, great feeling, and a nearly complete absence of cliches. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Jan 26, 2014 |
Yes, I do continue to be intrigued and fascinated by the speculative games that Gaiman plays in Sandman. ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |
I like these more and more every time I read one. This is one of my favorites so far. :) Love the Heaven and Hell stuff, and meeting all of the Endless. ( )
  Anniik | Sep 7, 2013 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dringenberg, MarkIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, KelleyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wagner, MattIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
There is a dreadful Hell,
and everlasting pains;
there sinners must with devils dwell
in darkness, fire, and chains.

Isaac Watts (1674-1748) from Divine and Moral Songs for Children. 1720.
You don't have to stay anywhere forever.
Edwin Paine (1901-1914), in conversation, December 1990.
Walk any path in Destiny's Garden, and you will be forced to choose, not once but many times.
To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the Season of Mists, and may each and every one of us always give the Devil his due.
You killed a number of people who by now would be long-since dead anyway. So what?
There must be a Hell. There must be a place for the demons; a place for the damned. Hell is Heaven's reflection. It is Heaven's shadow. They define each other. Reward and Punishment; hope and despair. There must be a Hell, for without Hell, Heaven has no meaning.

Collects "Season of Mists" parts 1-8, originally published in The Sandman #21-28.

Ten thousand years after banishing to Hell a woman who scorned him, Morpheus, the King of Dreams, has decided to free his former lover. But when the Sandman arrives in the realm of eternal damnation, Lucifer, the first fallen angel, notifies him that he is closing down Hell and he wants Morpheus to have the keys. Now in charge of the gates of Hell, the King of Dreams is bombarded with requests for possession of the empty kingdom by Norse gods, homeless demons, Egyptian deities, Faerie ambassadors, the lords of Chaos and Order, and Japanese divinities. Realizing too late that Lucifer's gift was a veiled curse, Morpheus is forced to make a decision that will affect every plane of existence as well as the universal balance of power. -- from Vertigo (www.dccomics.com)

Continues the story of the Dream King and his family--Desire, Despair, Destiny, Delirium, Death, and a missing sibling.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible