Fables and Reflections (Sandman, Book 6) by…

Fables and Reflections (Sandman, Book 6) (edition 1993)

by Neil Gaiman

Title:Fables and Reflections (Sandman, Book 6)
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:Vertigo DC Comics (1993), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 264 pages
Collections:Read, Unowned
Tags:comic, speculative

The Sandman: Fables & Reflections by Neil Gaiman

Another good one. Marco Polo, etc. Fables retold. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Oct 15, 2015 |
My least favorite of the group, but I could have just been in a bad mood. Or maybe this one just wasn't for me. I enjoyed the other installments in the series that were short stories, this one just didn't take. However, it sets the stage for vol. 7, which might just be my favorite thus far. So, ya know. Baby... bath water... ( )
  cattylj | Feb 28, 2015 |
A collection of stories and it is good, just not my favorite volume. ( )
  adam.d.woodard | Feb 23, 2015 |
These stand alone short stories have some that are great, and some that are good. After finishing it though I want to get back to the focus of the storytelling. ( )
  capiam1234 | Jan 10, 2015 |
The sixth Sandman and until now my personal favourite!
It's not a continous story but rather 8 1/2 strips, including the short 'foreword-history'. More than the half of it base upon true historical incidents and life stories like Emperor Augustus, the French Revolution, Marco Polo etc. The others are predicated on old legends or myths, so throughout the whole readingtime I had the feeling, these are not just phantastic stories but they could have really happen like this. And in every event Sandman plays an important part.
Last but not least the pictures are again impressive as always. For every story there is a certain style (Ramadan - very coloured, like a fairy tale; Soft Places - almost paltry, blank spaces like you expect it in a desert etc.), which accords perfectly with the contents of the different tales.
Fantastic stories, amazing drawings - a great book! ( )
  Xirxe | Dec 2, 2014 |

Thompson, JillIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Watkiss, JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, KentIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Woch, StanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lafeu: They say miracles are past; and we have our philosophical persons to make modern and familiar things supernatural and causeless. Hence it is that we make trifles of terrors, esconcing ourselves into seeming knowledge when we should submit ourselves to an unknown fear.
William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
I know the story, you see. I'm writing it all down for you. So it'll be remembered.
Rustichello of Pisa
Nine short stories for nine fine people, with affection and respect: For Steve Jones, James Herbert, Mary Gentle, Geoff Ryman, Colin Greenland, Ramsey Campbell, Roz Kaveney, John Chute and Lisa Tuttle. - Neil Gaiman
It was getting late, and I was losing it fast.
Terminus is the only god to whom Jupiter must bow.
But still I persist in wondering: what was Augustus afraid of? Why did he wake in the night, screaming...? Why was he angry? Why was he scared? I do not know his secret, and Augustus has taken it with him. To Olympus. Or to the grave.
I never saw him more. But, as the Years have passed, I have on Occasion, seen him in my Dreams. And, from that Time on, the Song of Orpheus has always hovered at the Edge of my Perception; a Melody I can never truly recapture, try howsoever I will. And do not doubt that there are many in Authority to whom I would sing it, if 'twere within my Power.
I've met a lot of kings, and emperors and heads of state in my time, Joshua. I've met them all. And you know something? I think I liked you best.

Collects "Fear of Falling," "Three Septembers and a January," "Thermidor," "The Hunt," "August," "Soft Places," "The Song of Orpheus," "The Parliament of Rooks" and "Ramadan," originally published in Vertigo Preview #1, The Sandman #29-31, 38-40, 50 and Sandman Special #1.

The critically acclaimed THE SANDMAN: FABLES AND REFLECTIONS continues the fantastical epic of Morpheus, the King of Dreams, as he observes and interacts with an odd assortment of historical and fictional characters throughout time. Featuring tales of kings, explorers, spies, and werewolves, this book of myth and imagination delves into the dark dreams of Augustus Caesar, Marco Polo, Cain and Abel, Norton I, and Orpheus to illustrate the effects that these subconscious musings have had on the course of history and mankind. -- from Vertigo(www.dccomics.com)

Nine stories about the Lord of Dreams as he touches the lives of kings, spies, emperors, actors, ravens and werewolves.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,841,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible