The Sandman Vol. 7: Brief Lives by Neil…

The Sandman Vol. 7: Brief Lives (edition 1995)

by Neil Gaiman, Jill Thompson, Vince Locke, Peter Straub

4,119461,220 (4.46)64
Title:The Sandman Vol. 7: Brief Lives
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Jill Thompson, Vince Locke, Peter Straub
Info:Vertigo (1995), Edition: illustrated edition, Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:gaiman, sandman, graphic novel

The Sandman: Brief Lives by Neil Gaiman

Recently added bycherobula, AndyMD, orlandoawilliams, OJSB, private library, readbearded, crosbyp

Why do I keep reading this series? Because I've invested too much time into it I guess and it's like reading a train wreck of pretension and bad writing. Delirium is one of the stupidest, shallowest characters ever created--if sad little tumblr girls were morphed into a character, it would be her. I think a comic book can be classified as actual literature/art, one day, maybe, possibly, but not today, and certainly not Gaiman's bilge. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |
Words cannot describe... ( )
  capiam1234 | Nov 9, 2015 |
I don't ever want to see Delirium go off on a non-sensical tangent while Dream calmly looks on again. That's enough of that.

Fun though, Morpheus matures a bit, we find out about Destruction finally. Keeps me interested enough to continue with the series, but these last couple seem not as stellar as the earlier ones. Still good. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Nov 3, 2015 |
Great story arc in this volume. A great search and lots of really deep thoughts going on, especially at the end. ( )
  adam.d.woodard | Feb 23, 2015 |
It is the first Sandman series in which the Endless play the main role. Delirium, Dreams sister, longs for her brother Destruction, who has left the family of the Endless 300 years ago - no one knows where he is. After Desire and Despair refused helping delirium in her search, she turns to Dream, who will surprisingly stand by her. However due to selfish reasons: Just left from his beloved, he is hoping to think of other things and maybe, in secrete, to meet her once again ...
I have to admit, that this Sandman series left me behind with mixed feelings. On the one hand it is a story that is unique to sense and serious thoughts about the uniqueness and finality of life in this form, on the other hand there are so many references to previous volumes, that I am constantly asked myself, what was happening before, who are these persons, don’t I know them, etc. Unfortunately, between my readings of each book there are longer periods and not all is still present, so I think my reading experience was significantly diminished. Otherwise, the drawings are awesome as always, with some of them are almost be described as paintings.
All in all, great reading material, but if possible, just read it in conjunction with the preceding books. And I, I have to read it again ;-) ( )
  Xirxe | Dec 2, 2014 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thompson, JillIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Straub, PeterAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bob and Allison on the occasion of their engagement. Pete and Dana on the occasion of their wedding. Beth and Chris, on the occasion of my dedicating a book to them. - Neil
for Basil - Jill T.
to Mom and Dad for their encouragement and support and to Khrysta for helping me through the rough times. - Vince
It is of course, a miracle.
The priests of Orpheus have had thousands of years to learn the art of misdirection.
I know how gods begin, Roger. We start as dreams. Then we walk out of dreams into the land. We are worshipped and loved, and take power to ourselves. And then one day there's no one left to worship us.
And in the end, each little god and goddess takes its last journey back into dreams...and what comes after, not even we knows.

Collects "Brief Lives" parts 1-9, originally published in The Sandman #41-49.

A graphic novel in which Delirium, the youngest of the family known as the Endless, and her brother, Dream, journey through the world of the waking in an effort to locate their missing sibling, Destruction, and Dream struggles to resolve his troubled relationship with his son, Orpheus.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible