Brief Lives (Sandman, Book 7) by Neil Gaiman

Brief Lives (Sandman, Book 7) (edition 1993)

by Neil Gaiman

Member:G_Riv
Title:Brief Lives (Sandman, Book 7)
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:Vertigo (1999), Hardcover, 256 pages
Collections:Read, Unowned
Rating:***
Tags:comic

The Sandman: Brief Lives by Neil Gaiman

Great story arc in this volume. A great search and lots of really deep thoughts going on, especially at the end. ( )
  adam.d.woodard | Feb 23, 2015 |
It is the first Sandman series in which the Endless play the main role. Delirium, Dreams sister, longs for her brother Destruction, who has left the family of the Endless 300 years ago - no one knows where he is. After Desire and Despair refused helping delirium in her search, she turns to Dream, who will surprisingly stand by her. However due to selfish reasons: Just left from his beloved, he is hoping to think of other things and maybe, in secrete, to meet her once again ...
I have to admit, that this Sandman series left me behind with mixed feelings. On the one hand it is a story that is unique to sense and serious thoughts about the uniqueness and finality of life in this form, on the other hand there are so many references to previous volumes, that I am constantly asked myself, what was happening before, who are these persons, don’t I know them, etc. Unfortunately, between my readings of each book there are longer periods and not all is still present, so I think my reading experience was significantly diminished. Otherwise, the drawings are awesome as always, with some of them are almost be described as paintings.
All in all, great reading material, but if possible, just read it in conjunction with the preceding books. And I, I have to read it again ;-) ( )
  Xirxe | Dec 2, 2014 |
This volume was wonderful. Much better than the last - much more of the Endless too. These books are always best when they have plenty of the Endless in them. Delirium annoyed me a little, but her interactions with Dream were priceless. The message of this volume was also something that really got you thinking. Very enjoyable! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
'Brief Lives' has the most straightforward plot of any volume in the Sandman series so far. It is essentially a road trip story with Dream and Delirium travelling together in search of their estranged brother. Its simplicity makes it engaging and very readable. We spend less time exploring the myths and dreams of others and more exploring the mythos of the Sandman universe. Yet for all that, Gaiman still revels in the tangents and twists in the story. There are still the usual fascinating incidental characters who turn out in the end to be not as throwaway as they first seem. The focus is largely on what I imagine the majority of the Sandman's readers had been crying out for, more of The Endless. I was certainly delighted to spend more time with Dream's family, and was surprisingly attached to Delirium by the end of the volume.

In keeping with the more straightforward story, we return to a single team of artists in this volume. The artwork in this volume is stunning and there are pages that are absolutely breathtaking. The book as a whole is beautiful and life-affirming, and is one of the best additions to the series. ( )
  AaronPt | Feb 7, 2014 |
I've been wondering about the missing Endless for a while and my questions were finally answered :) ( )
  scote23 | Dec 26, 2013 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thompson, JillIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Straub, PeterAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bob and Allison on the occasion of their engagement. Pete and Dana on the occasion of their wedding. Beth and Chris, on the occasion of my dedicating a book to them. - Neil
for Basil - Jill T.
to Mom and Dad for their encouragement and support and to Khrysta for helping me through the rough times. - Vince
It is of course, a miracle.
The priests of Orpheus have had thousands of years to learn the art of misdirection.
I know how gods begin, Roger. We start as dreams. Then we walk out of dreams into the land. We are worshipped and loved, and take power to ourselves. And then one day there's no one left to worship us.
And in the end, each little god and goddess takes its last journey back into dreams...and what comes after, not even we knows.

Collects "Brief Lives" parts 1-9, originally published in The Sandman #41-49.

A graphic novel in which Delirium, the youngest of the family known as the Endless, and her brother, Dream, journey through the world of the waking in an effort to locate their missing sibling, Destruction, and Dream struggles to resolve his troubled relationship with his son, Orpheus.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,758,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible