The Sandman Vol. 8: Worlds' End by Neil…

The Sandman Vol. 8: Worlds' End (edition 1995)

by Neil Gaiman, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Stephen King (Introduction), Bryan Talbot (Illustrator)3 more, Michael Zulli (Illustrator), Michael Allred (Illustrator), John Watkiss (Illustrator)

Member:raistlinsshadow
Title:The Sandman Vol. 8: Worlds' End
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Stephen King (Introduction), Bryan Talbot (Illustrator), Michael Zulli (Illustrator)2 more, Michael Allred (Illustrator), John Watkiss (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (1995), Paperback, 168 pages
Tags:gaiman, sandman, graphic novel

The Sandman: Worlds' End by Neil Gaiman

The eighth volume of The Sandman is called World’s End. It consists of a series of short stories, each told by a different characters, but all blending and weaving together to make this volume very thought provoking. Although Morpheus isn’t a major character in this book, you can feel his touch throughout the stories. In each story we meet someone who has appeared in the series before, at times I felt this was a curtain call for the various personalities.

Somewhere where reality meets the imagination lies an inn called Worlds’ End. This inn is the meeting place for creatures from many different worlds that have been caught up in a storm and while they take shelter they pass the time by telling stories. At the climax of the reality storm, the travellers see a change in the sky and then a funeral procession, obviously led by Morpheus goes by. A closed coffin is carried by and many familiar and strange mourners are part of the procession. But who has died?

Perhaps it is the knowledge that this the series is turning toward the end, but I felt this volume very much was a harbinger of what is to come in the final volumes. I am very sad that this well crafted series is ending but how Neil Gaiman goes about finishing it has my anticipation level rising. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Oct 11, 2013 |
I loved this volume. I wasn't sure if I'd like it at first, because it didn't seem to have much of the Endless in it, but when I finally got around to reading it, I found it quite enjoyable and quite charming. The stories were interesting, and we did get peeks of the Endless - from the point of view of humans, brief, misunderstood glimpses. Which is a new way to see them. ( )
  Anniik | Sep 7, 2013 |
Another good Sandman volume. I really liked the story within story organization. The colorful artwork for most of the stories was great and the foreshadowing of the funeral procession was interesting.
  hailelib | Sep 7, 2013 |
Sure, it's a stopgap - a sort of foreshadowing of terrible things that'll be coming in the next volume - but it's also a delightful one. Gaiman takes on the traditional storytelling structures and delves even deeper into the fundamental building blocks of what it is to tell a story, creating a Russian doll of stories in the process.

But let's be honest: after that ending, no one wants to think about anything but what's about to come.

More on this one, though, if you have the time, can be found at RB: http://wp.me/pGVzJ-Ao ( )
  drewsof | Jul 9, 2013 |
In which Morpheus, the Dream King, the Sandman, or rather something that's about to happen to him, causes a reality storm and gathers together creatures of all nations to share themselves with each other. Another collection of stories where the Endless only appear peripherally, and only at highly critical moments. This is a little bit like the first installment in the series, Preludes and Nocturnes in that it deals mainly with stories (and the stories within them) and how they affect those to whom they are told. In the frame story, a storm causes the inn Worlds' End to open up its doors to travelers escaping from a horrendous storm, the reason for which is only revealed at the end, and it turns out to be a great and immensely sad precursor to what's to come.

"A Tale of Two Cities" - A Lovecraft/Twilight Zone type story where the main character finds out that even cities dream and, when, after being stuck in that dream from a long time, he finds his way out, he is forever haunted by the possibility of all cities waking up and attacking reality.
"Cluracan's Tale" - A fairy/political tale about how a government or ruler can be brought down by words - a very nice illustration of the adage "the pen is mightier than the sword." It's also a pleasant reminder of how Dream has changed along the course of the series when he shows willingness to break a rule to do a favor for someone he likes.
"Hob's Leviathan" - A sea story, featuring Hob Gadling in which we also meet the other character who Death doesn't take, an Indian king who has eaten fruit from the Tree of Life, the very same tree which is the cause of Adam and Eve's expulsion from Eden - God sends them away so that they won't eat of it and become immortal.
"The Golden Boy" - A Messianic story about the American dream with quite a few nods to Alan Moore's Watchmen. This is my least favorite story in the collection, mainly because it's such a directly religious story - the parallels between Prez and Jesus are not exactly subtle.
"Cerements" - A story about various burial-rites (all of which are, or have been, used somewhere in the world) and the people who has as their calling to perform them. Since this whole installment is very much story-within-a-story territory, it is notable that this story contains a point where not two stories are inside each other, but as many as five stories exist within one another at the same time: Mistress Veltis tells her story to Hermas who tells the story to Petrefax who tells the story at the inn and, at the end, the whole story of the stories is told by Brant to a barmaid (who looks very much like Thessaly, right?). Talk about pushing story-telling to its limits.

As usual, various little jokes are scattered throughout the narrative, like having a Buddy Holly song playing on the radio when the characters are almost killed in a snowstorm in Iowa, or Scutt's family hanging him about the chest to save him from being hung from the neck, or when an unseen creature (who sounds like Master Redlaw from Books of Magic) tells Brant that "That red stuff, that's BLOOD that is. BAD sign if it's not on the inside, that's what I says." There is also some fantastic art in this installment and especially the funeral procession at the end stands out as particularly magnificent. ( )
  -Eva- | Jul 6, 2013 |

Talbot, BryanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Watkiss, JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Zulli, MichaelIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
King, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book's for Maddy, pink and tiny, born one hour and ten minutes ago, who has spent most of the intervening time sucking vigorously on my fingers in the mistaken belief that they provide a viable source of nutrition. I give you all your tomorrows, and these small stories. With my love, Neil Gaiman.
Looking back on it, the thing that still surprises me is my own reaction to it all.
It's amazing how much one can accomplish in an evening, if one is willing to expend a little effort, and to walk briskly.
Some say that he still walks between the worlds, travelling from America to America, help to the helpless, a shelter for the weak. Others say that he waits to be born once more, and that this time he will not come just to one America, but to all of them. And I walk the worlds, following him, seeking him, walking ahead...spreading his word.
I don't have a goddamn story.

Collects "A Tale of Two Cities," "Cluracan's Tale," "Hob's Leviathan," "The Golden Boy," "Cerements" and" World's End," originally published in The Sandman #51-56.

Stephen King's Introduction sets the stage for a series of tales with a haunting geometry--some angular, some parallel, some concentric. An eerie mirror of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, this collection tells of a group of travelers from throughout time, myth and dream, who converge at a mysterious inn to seek refuge from a "reality storm". Graphic novel format. Mature readers.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,656,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible