The Sandman Vol. 8: Worlds' End by Neil…

The Sandman Vol. 8: Worlds' End (edition 1995)

by Neil Gaiman, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Bryan Talbot (Illustrator), Michael Zulli (Illustrator)3 more, Michael Allred (Illustrator), John Watkiss (Illustrator), Stephen King (Introduction)

Member:raistlinsshadow
Title:The Sandman Vol. 8: Worlds' End
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Bryan Talbot (Illustrator), Michael Zulli (Illustrator), Michael Allred (Illustrator)2 more, John Watkiss (Illustrator), Stephen King (Introduction)
Info:Vertigo (1995), Paperback, 168 pages
Tags:gaiman, sandman, graphic novel

The Sandman: Worlds' End by Neil Gaiman

Recently added byprivate library, jrw114, tayitude, cattylj, AbbyAddams, walksaloneatnight

When you start having dreams that you're in the world of the book you're reading, the author's doing something right. ( )
  cattylj | Feb 28, 2015 |
This one was really great. A nice stand alone. A collection of stories with stories within stories. A very philosophical discussion buried in it as well. These layer volumes have been getting pretty heady. ( )
  adam.d.woodard | Feb 23, 2015 |
Charlene Mooney and Brant Tucker are going by car from Seattle to Chicago, when in the middle of a night of June they get caught in a snowstorm. The car gets out of the road and crashes into a tree. Brant frees the unconscious Charlene and drags her with his last strength back to the road, as he believes. But he has lost his way completely and they ends up in the inn Worlds End. There, it is been taking care of the injured Charlene, while Brant is supplied with food and drink. It seems to be a strange society whom they meet there: people who appear to come from another century, figures that seem to have sprung from an ancient legend, some creatures seem as if they come from a dream and so on. All they sit together and pass the time by telling stories. Brant joins them and listens ...
The six stories are of very different nature: fairy tales, legends, science fiction, adventure, intrigue - and one amazing than the other. Unlike the previous books of and with Sandman, this time he and his siblings only appear marginally - what the quality of the stories, however, not detract. Nevertheless, I have been missing him (so I award an asterisk less )
The drawings are congenial as before and their style perfectly match to the particular story.
I’m already looking forward for the next part. ( )
  Xirxe | Dec 2, 2014 |
The eighth volume of The Sandman is called World’s End. It consists of a series of short stories, each told by a different characters, but all blending and weaving together to make this volume very thought provoking. Although Morpheus isn’t a major character in this book, you can feel his touch throughout the stories. In each story we meet someone who has appeared in the series before, at times I felt this was a curtain call for the various personalities.

Somewhere where reality meets the imagination lies an inn called Worlds’ End. This inn is the meeting place for creatures from many different worlds that have been caught up in a storm and while they take shelter they pass the time by telling stories. At the climax of the reality storm, the travellers see a change in the sky and then a funeral procession, obviously led by Morpheus goes by. A closed coffin is carried by and many familiar and strange mourners are part of the procession. But who has died?

Perhaps it is the knowledge that this the series is turning toward the end, but I felt this volume very much was a harbinger of what is to come in the final volumes. I am very sad that this well crafted series is ending but how Neil Gaiman goes about finishing it has my anticipation level rising. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Oct 11, 2013 |
I loved this volume. I wasn't sure if I'd like it at first, because it didn't seem to have much of the Endless in it, but when I finally got around to reading it, I found it quite enjoyable and quite charming. The stories were interesting, and we did get peeks of the Endless - from the point of view of humans, brief, misunderstood glimpses. Which is a new way to see them. ( )
  Anniik | Sep 7, 2013 |

Talbot, BryanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Watkiss, JohnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Zulli, MichaelIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
King, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book's for Maddy, pink and tiny, born one hour and ten minutes ago, who has spent most of the intervening time sucking vigorously on my fingers in the mistaken belief that they provide a viable source of nutrition. I give you all your tomorrows, and these small stories. With my love, Neil Gaiman.
Looking back on it, the thing that still surprises me is my own reaction to it all.
It's amazing how much one can accomplish in an evening, if one is willing to expend a little effort, and to walk briskly.
Some say that he still walks between the worlds, travelling from America to America, help to the helpless, a shelter for the weak. Others say that he waits to be born once more, and that this time he will not come just to one America, but to all of them. And I walk the worlds, following him, seeking him, walking ahead...spreading his word.
I don't have a goddamn story.

Collects "A Tale of Two Cities," "Cluracan's Tale," "Hob's Leviathan," "The Golden Boy," "Cerements" and" World's End," originally published in The Sandman #51-56.

Stephen King's Introduction sets the stage for a series of tales with a haunting geometry--some angular, some parallel, some concentric. An eerie mirror of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, this collection tells of a group of travelers from throughout time, myth and dream, who converge at a mysterious inn to seek refuge from a "reality storm". Graphic novel format. Mature readers.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,144,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible