The Sandman Vol. 8: Worlds' End by Neil…

The Sandman Vol. 8: Worlds' End (edition 1995)

by Neil Gaiman, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Bryan Talbot (Illustrator), Michael Zulli (Illustrator)3 more, Michael Allred (Illustrator), John Watkiss (Illustrator), Stephen King (Introduction)

4,020431,272 (4.35)55
Title:The Sandman Vol. 8: Worlds' End
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Bryan Talbot (Illustrator), Michael Zulli (Illustrator), Michael Allred (Illustrator)2 more, John Watkiss (Illustrator), Stephen King (Introduction)
Info:Vertigo (1995), Paperback, 168 pages
Tags:gaiman, sandman, graphic novel

The Sandman: Worlds' End by Neil Gaiman (Author)

Quite enjoyed this one, one of my favorites so far, maybe my fave. Not very much Morpheus at all, but fun stories, stories within stories, and stories within stories within stories. Very nice artwork also. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Oct 8, 2016 |
In The Sandman: World's End, Neil Gaiman channels Boccaccio's Decameron with travelers exchanging stories as they wait out a reality storm. The narrative style allows Gaiman and his artists to explore new worlds not tied to the larger Sandman narrative. Even eight volumes in, Gaiman maintains the compelling nature of these stories, raising the bar for the comics medium. ( )
  DarthDeverell | May 9, 2016 |
Brant and Charlene are driving to Chicago when they get caught in a freak snowstorm in June and crash. They find themselves stranded at the Inn at World's End with travelers from all different worlds, who were likewise caught in freak storms. The innkeeper explains it as a reality storm.

To pass the time, the various travelers tell stories. There is the story of a man who stumbled into the dreams of a city (this may have been my favourite, it reminded me of Fritz Leiber's Our Lady of Darkness). There is the story of the faerie Cluracan, (the brother of Morpheus's servant Nuala) and his mission for Queen Mab/Titania. There is the story of a ship's hand, and the story of the perfect President. There is the story of the city where everyone is a mortician, and they study all the different burial traditions of the world.

And within these stories are more stories, and stories within those . . .

An engrossing read. And the end is just . . . wow. I really felt like I was seeing the giant procession across the sky through Brant Tucker's eyes. ( )
  catfantastic | Jun 6, 2015 |
When you start having dreams that you're in the world of the book you're reading, the author's doing something right. ( )
  cattylj | Feb 28, 2015 |
This one was really great. A nice stand alone. A collection of stories with stories within stories. A very philosophical discussion buried in it as well. These layer volumes have been getting pretty heady. ( )
  adam.d.woodard | Feb 23, 2015 |

King, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DannyColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book's for Maddy, pink and tiny, born one hour and ten minutes ago, who has spent most of the intervening time sucking vigorously on my fingers in the mistaken belief that they provide a viable source of nutrition. I give you all your tomorrows, and these small stories. With my love, Neil Gaiman.
Looking back on it, the thing that still surprises me is my own reaction to it all.
It's amazing how much one can accomplish in an evening, if one is willing to expend a little effort, and to walk briskly.
Some say that he still walks between the worlds, travelling from America to America, help to the helpless, a shelter for the weak. Others say that he waits to be born once more, and that this time he will not come just to one America, but to all of them. And I walk the worlds, following him, seeking him, walking ahead...spreading his word.
I don't have a goddamn story.

Collects "A Tale of Two Cities," "Cluracan's Tale," "Hob's Leviathan," "The Golden Boy," "Cerements" and" World's End," originally published in The Sandman #51-56.

Stephen King's Introduction sets the stage for a series of tales with a haunting geometry--some angular, some parallel, some concentric. An eerie mirror of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, this collection tells of a group of travelers from throughout time, myth and dream, who converge at a mysterious inn to seek refuge from a "reality storm". Graphic novel format. Mature readers.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,748,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible