Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Among the Mad by Jacqueline Winspear

Among the Mad

by Jacqueline Winspear

Series: Maisie Dobbs (6)

1,206689,993 (4)153
    A Duty to the Dead by Charles Todd (MurderMysteryMayhem)
    The War Against Miss Winter by Kathryn Miller Haines (dla911)
    dla911: The would be actress becomes a detective when her gumshoe boss is murdered in New York during WWII. Captures the essense of NYC and its inhabitants. Great read.

Same as the others. This series is like a very long single novel w/ a very even pace. I find it hard to believe that it would be possible to pay one's rent in London by begging, even in 1932. This book taught me the phrase "Mills bomb". ( )
  themulhern | Sep 22, 2018 |
Another solid mystery and more interesting developments in Masie's character. ( )
  duchessjlh | Sep 8, 2018 |
Maise is enlisted by the local and federal Govt. to find a killer that threatens to poison many Londoners in 1932. He wasa victim of Govt. experiments with different killer gases. ( )
  pgabj | Aug 23, 2018 |
Outstanding - continued excellence with the character building of Maisie Hobbs and friends. This book also introduced new characters who I am guessing will make appearances in future episodes. The actual mystery in this novel was well done and as always, done with an historical realism that is second to none. Favorite series. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
I loved how the different strands of the story - Maisie's personal life, her work associates, and her case - all interweave and illuminate the central idea of mental illness and how we manage or don't manage it and where it often has its roots. Laid on top of these very real concerns is an exciting thriller with echos to the chemical warfare horrors of WWI. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 4, 2018 |
Like Maisie, the novel’s storytelling style is efficient and humorless, but deeply empathetic.

Jacqueline Winspearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cassidy, OrlaghNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fyfe, LisaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "We're all mad here.
I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

—LEWIS CARROLL,
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
A short time ago death was the cruel stranger, the visitor with the flannel footsteps ... today it is the mad dog in the house. One eats, one drinks beside the dead, one sleeps in the midst of the dying, one laughs and sings in the company of corpses.

—GEORGES DUHAMEL,

Keep True to the Dreams of thy Youth
~ Friedrich von Schiller
1759-1805
London, Christmas Eve, 1931

Maisie Dobbs, Psychologist and Investigator, picked up her fountain pen to sign her name at the end of a final report that she and her assistant, Billy Beale, had worked late to complete the night before.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312429258, Paperback)

Jacqueline Winspear on Among the Mad

Jacqueline Winspear From the time I realized that in Maisie Dobbs I had a series character, I've wanted to explore further the phenomenon of the range of war neuroses known to the layperson as "shell shock," and how we see those whose behavior isn't always within the bounds of what we consider "normal." I also wanted to look again, through the lens of story and history, at the manner in which society treats wounded veterans, especially those whose wounds cannot be seen, but are of the mind and spirit. To do this, I drew as much upon personal experience as my research.

As many of my readers know, my grandfather suffered both physical wounds and shell shock in the Great War, and as a child I remember having to be quiet around him, so as not to excite or trouble an elderly man with terrible memories. Later, in my mid-teens, I attended a school where we were required to undertake community service one afternoon each week (and we had to attend school on Saturday mornings to make up for it!). So, on Wednesday afternoons, I joined a small group who visited a psychiatric hospital--to talk to the patients, make the tea, read to them and generally offer kindness and companionship. I can recall many of the patients, some who were obviously not able to live outside an institution, and others who inspired one to wonder why they were there at all--and when you found out, the reason was often shocking. I remember one patient I talked with each week, an astoundingly sharp, intelligent man. He had been a top-ranking surgeon, one who was regarded as almost without peer. He was also a madman, a murderer. I thought of him often while writing Among the Mad.

Last year, during my book tour, a military chaplain came to one of my events and stayed behind afterwards to talk to me. He told me that he recommended my books to the families of those who have suffered loss during the Iraq war, and especially to people who are trying to accommodate the special needs of a soldier suffering from what we today call Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome (PTSD). He added that in reading a story where such losses are suffered in a time of war, yet separated by history, it facilitates a deeper understanding of what the returning veteran might be experiencing, and challenges involved in coming home from war.

The recent news that servicemen and woman wounded by PTSD will not be eligible for the Military Order of the Purple Heart--awarded to US military personnel who have been wounded or killed in a war zone--struck a chord. In Britain during and following the Great War there was much controversy about war neuroses, and many soldiers were denied a pension as a result of a clampdown on the diagnosis of shell shock. In my second novel, Birds of a Feather, one of the characters says, "That’s the trouble with war, it’s never over when it's over, it lives on inside the living." Such a sentiment is never more true than in the case of the man or woman who has served their country in a time of war, but who has to live with that war reverberating in their mind every single day for the rest of their lives. Maisie Dobbs is such a person, as is the person she is in a race to find in Among the Mad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:20 -0400)

Maisie Dobbs must catch a madman before he commits murder on an unimaginable scale.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,522,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible