The Sandman Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones by Neil…

The Sandman Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Neil Gaiman, Marc Hempel, Neil Gaiman, Frank McConnell, Frank McConnell (Introduction)

Member:blakslaks
Title:The Sandman Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Marc Hempel, Neil Gaiman, Frank McConnell, Frank McConnell (Introduction)
Info:Vertigo (1996), Edition: illustrated edition, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****

The Sandman: The Kindly Ones by Neil Gaiman (Author) (1996)

English (50)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (53)
The second to last Sandman collection is something inevitable, and incredibly sad. There is a return of old characters, a culmination of questions answered, and the story ends where it began with the very first volume - a cage of sorts, and some reformation.

Gaiman ties a story up well, and while there is still one more volume, I cannot truly see what it would contain after all that happened in this one. That's what a good author does well, though, right? Mysteries, madness, secrets, and strange. I look forward to this - it's been a hell of a ride. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
The longest volume in the Sandman series, and it made for a satisfying, winding tale. I liked how so many elements from the previous books were incorporated into this ninth volume - even though I'm sure I didn't pick up on all of them, mainly due to the fact I can't remember - and how the story had so many facets, and a brilliant and strange cast of characters, some of them with teeth for eyes and some who make fish float out of thin air (Delirium is my favorite!) and some of them actually talking animals. I can't wait for volume ten, to see where it all goes. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
This was probably the richest and deepest of the Sandman comics. Its also basically the 'last' and 'end' of the Sandman comics. Gaiman does a perfect job of leading up to what is the inevitable conclusion to this with the previous few volumes, and enough moments from the first volumes to give it a 'ending'. In the same sense that most finales on TV shows have a scene or two with characters from all seasons (like Seinfeld's court scenes using every character from the show, LOST highlighting characters from Seasons 1 and 2 in the flash-sideways, etc.). Subtle hints at old characters, old characters having moments, nods to this or that theme or event that happened previously in Sandman.

This was also the longest of the graphic novels (in the Sandman series) and there is a lot to this to unpack. A lot of themes, and a lot of mythos and world building (or ending?). Some things feel a little unnecessary but they do tie in in a very round-about way.

I'm not a huge fan of the art in this volume, its not as realistic and doesn't look as exact as some past volumes, but it's still enjoyable and doesn't ultimately detract from the story, which is the primary focus of the series. As Gaiman is an excellent storyteller and this is a perfect example of that. ( )
  BenKline | Jan 28, 2018 |
Excellent. The best of all of them I believe. Storylines, art, the whole bundle. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Dec 5, 2017 |
Wow, I don't know where to begin. The best Sandman book yet. Everything that I've read so far pretty much all wraps up in this, the longest of the Sandman collections. And it was worth the trip.

If you ever want to read anything by Neil Gaiman that hits on all cylinders and emotions, this is it. ( )
  writertomg | Sep 6, 2017 |

Vess, CharlesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DanielColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
There's a dream in which huge faceless women with wolves astride them are chewing at my entrails and legs.
Now I'm just taking things easy. Playing a little piano, and running the best damned nightclub in this whole City of the Angels.

Collects "The Castle" and "The Kindly Ones" parts 1-13, originally published in Vertigo Jam #1 and The Sandman #57-69.

A mother's desire for revenge over her kidnapped child sets the Kindly Ones (known also as The Furies) on the trail of Dream of the Endless. What they set in motion will demand a huge sacrifice before all is said and done.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,835,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible