The Sandman: Endless Nights by Neil Gaiman

The Sandman: Endless Nights

by Neil Gaiman

Other authors: Chris Chuckry (Colorist / Separator), Glenn Fabry (Illustrator), Lovern Kindzierski (Colorist / Separator), Todd Klein (Letterer), Milo Manara (Illustrator)6 more, Dave McKean (Cover artist), Miguelanxo Prado (Illustrator), Frank Quitely (Illustrator), P. Craig Russel (Illustrator), Bill Sienkiewicz (Illustrator), Barron Storey (Illustrator)

Series: The Sandman (12), The Sandman: Death (Short Story 2003)

English (36)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (39)
This books contains seven stories, each dealing with one of the siblings known as "the Endless." The Endless are a creation from Neil Gaiman's The Sandman comic series, and this book is an add-on to that series. Unfortunately for me, I inter-library loaned this book via my library not paying enough attention to realize that I selected the final volume of the series rather than the first (a doh! moment if there ever was one). So for me, this was an odd introduction to these characters and their universe. That being said, the book's structure of simple short stories made it easy enough to follow along without feeling in the least bit lost (although I'm sure knowledge of the whole series would probably have enriched the reading experience). Gaiman's brief introduction gives the most important details, reminding/introducing readers to the fact that the Endless are simply there - they are not gods, he asserts, but ever-fixed markers of humanity. In other words, the Endless are universal emotions and events we cannot avoid - death, dreams, despair, desire, etc., although I would argue he's wrong then about destiny being among their number.

As a product, this is an absolutely gorgeous book. Separating each chapter are these beautiful photographs that carry a mask theme tying together the various components. Each chapter is illustrated by a different artist of renown, who brings his own touch to the story at hand. Most remarkably, in my opinion, was the expressionistic style brought to the chapter dedicated to Despair. The story is titled "Fifteen Portraits of Despair," providing short vignettes of people at their worst moments. Obviously this is not an easy chapter to read, but it had the most emotional impact of any in the book. The darkly deep illustrations served to further hone that point, and they are worthy of any art gallery's walls. Being the most artistic and least like a comic book with such illustrations, this chapter seems (based on other reviews) to be the unpopular one, but I thought it was the highlight of the book.

The other chapters deal less with the emotions evoked by the Endless then by short snippets of events in their lives. An early dalliance for Dream is the subject of one chapter; a conquest for Death in another; and so on. As such, they don't really say much in my opinion or add much by way of character development. This book seems designed more as something for supercharged fans to sink their teeth in after having spent years sans any new Sandman material. Die-hard lovers of the original series no doubt love to read some more about their favorite characters but as a stand-alone comic, this book is just so-so. It's a fairly entertaining read and it's short story nature means you can skip ahead at any point without losing anything; for that reason, this makes a quick escapist read, so long as you're not too worried about delving into the darker side of humanity. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Nov 23, 2013 |
Great artwork. Good stories. A lot of nipples. ( )
  h_d | Jul 1, 2013 |
Endless Nights was written years after the Sandman series ended - Gaiman returns his characters and provides a story for each of the 7 Endless.

I liked some stories better than others, and for the first time, I think my 4th star in my rating for this book is solely because of the artwork. It's a little more interesting and experimental than what was in the rest of the series - Despair's and Delerium's stories are really noteable in this aspect. While their stories weren't my favorite (my beloved Delerium was barely in hers!), I spent quite a bit of time just examining and admiring the art.

I also enjoyed the peek back in time when Delerium was Delight and Despair was her first aspect of herself. The small references to the worlds of the Green Lantern and Superman were nice touches. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 23, 2013 |
Endless Nights is an interesting collection of stories about the Endless, each with different art styles and different ways of telling the stories. Desire's has very sensual, "pretty" art, while Delirium's story is all over the place.

It's a very interesting novel. We get to see Delight, and one of Dream's early relationships, and Death in her early years... It's not a groundbreaking volume, really -- we don't learn anything revolutionary about the characters, just read a few untold stories that fill in a few details. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
This book is an addition to Sandman series. There is a story each about Sandman and his siblings. Each story has been drawn by a different artist. My favorites were: Death, Desire, Dream and Destruction. Delirium and Despair were great design ideas but I didn't enjoy them much from a storytelling perspective. ( )
  poonamsharma | Apr 6, 2013 |

Quitely, FrankIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Russel, P. CraigIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sienkiewicz, BillIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Storey, BarronIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Contains "Death and Venice," "What I've Tasted of Desire," "The Heart of a Star," "Fifteen Portraits of Despair," "Going Inside," "On the Peninsula" and "Endless Nights."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140120113X, Paperback)

Written by Neil Gaiman; Art by P. Craig Russell, Milo Manara, Bill Sienkiewicz, Miguelanxo Prado, Barron Storey, Glenn Fabry, and Frank Quitely; painted cover and book design by Dave McKean; Cover by Dave McKean Joined by a dream-team of artists from around the world, Neil Gaiman - the Hugo Award-winning, New York Times best-selling author of American Gods and the children's book Coraline - returned to the beloved characters he made famous for THE SANDMAN: ENDLESS NIGHTS, the comics event of 2003. Now this landmark work is available in a beautiful softcover edition. Alternately haunting, bittersweet, erotic and nightmarish, the seven stories in this book - one for each of the Endless siblings, each illustrated by a different artist - reveal strange secrets and surprising truths. In addition to the seven tales of the Endless, THE SANDMAN: ENDLESS NIGHTS includes a biography section in the spirit of the Sandman collections (designed by Dave McKean) and a summary of each volume in the Sandman Library.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:25 -0400)

Presents a collection of seven graphic stories that feature the character known as "The Sandman" who rules over humans as they sleep.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,348,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible