Wolverine: Origin TPB (New Printing)…

Wolverine: Origin TPB (New Printing) (Graphic Novel Trade Pb) (original 2002; edition 2009)

by Paul Jenkins, Joe Quesada, Bill Jemas

Member:Comics
Title:Wolverine: Origin TPB (New Printing) (Graphic Novel Trade Pb)
Authors:Paul Jenkins
Other authors:Joe Quesada, Bill Jemas
Info:Marvel Comics (2009), Edition: 2nd, Paperback, 200 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Wolverine: ORIGIN #1-6 (complete)

Wolverine: Origin by Paul Jenkins (2002)

Recently added byprivate library, MaraBlaise, jonathan_rigby, Ciarda, Illise_Montoya, Nickidemus, jmourgos

English (10)  Danish (2)  All languages (12)
I really liked this volume. As evidenced by the five star rating. I loved the artwork. I loved the story. That about sums it up! It’s not what I saw in the movie, but I already imagined that the movie would not be accurate according to the comics. They aren’t usually total correct. I liked this story better than the story in the movie. For one it was much more involved. Of course. It’s a book. It was also much more of a mystery. I liked it. This is the origins that I was looking for originally to start with. I would like to read more from Jenkins in the future. ( )
1 vote Kassilem | Mar 20, 2014 |
Forgettable.

If you're going to try to create an origin for one of your most iconic characters, that origin had better be (*@#ing memorable. Look at Batman, for example. Or look at what Alan Moore did for the Joker in The Killing Joke. The origin should resonate for the reader.

In Origin, the story kind of lands with a dull thump.

Oh, it's not terrible. The authors clearly tried. They just weren't up to the task, that's all. And so they've created an utterly forgettable, inconsequential, run-of-the-mill...

I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?

Oh yeah. Origin. Sorry, I nodded off.

In a fractional system, Origin would get a 1.8 from me. At best, it was kind of cheesy. I mean, when you've got your character running and howling with wolves, it's a pretty good sign that you're in way over your head...unless you're a really, really good writer. Which these guys aren't. And maybe it was a warning sign that there were three writers on this turkey.

Hmm...if they'd had Wolverine running and gobbling with turkeys...now, that would have been memorable! :D

PS - the claws looked stupid to me. Claws should look like claws, not unicorn horns! ( )
  PMaranci | Apr 3, 2013 |
Saaaaaaadly, this did not work for me and I really love origin stories, laaaaaaav them. But this was just a little too hokey for me, no matter how much I enjoyed Logan running around with a wolf pack. I can't put my finger on what, but there was something terribly lacking. I just didn't feel the drama of it. It was readable and not bad artwork, but overall a little disappointing. ( )
  h_d | Mar 31, 2013 |
I love everything Marvel. The storylines are incredible! They have everything you could want: action, adventure, comedy, romance, political intrigue, allegories, metaphors, etc. Some stories drag, some end too soon. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 8, 2012 |
Set in the 1800's, in a Canadian mining town, this is a lushly illustrated, literate and passionate blend of historical fiction, fantasy and superhero comic. Andy Kubert's pencils create marvelous scenes - haunting landscapes, and beautiful characters ranging from the delicate to the grizzled. The illustrations flow around Paul Jenkins' narrative - one particularly memorable page features alternating panels of Wolverine hunting with a ferocious pack of wolves, opposite pictures of the delicate, beautiful Rose reading from a book of poetry - all of it framed by William Blake's 'Tyger, tyger burning bright...'.

'Origin' tells a completely satisfying new story, while subtly showing how many of the people and events in his formative years shaped the personality of the Wolverine we are familiar with. Wolverine is a character deserving of a most excellent origin story, and I am pleased to see that he got one. This is an excellent comic book. ( )
1 vote catfantastic | Jun 26, 2010 |

Paul Jenkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Isanove, RichardIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jemas, Billmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kubert, AndyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Quesada, Joemain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078510965X, Paperback)

Collecting the best-selling - and controversial - romantic period piece that defied industry expectations and pulled back the curtain on Wolverine's mysterious past! At long last, all is revealed about the incredible forces that molded the world's most perfect killing machine with a heart as big as the great outdoors. Collects Wolverine: Origin #1-6

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:33 -0400)

Follows sickly, privileged James Howlett through his childhood, when he sees his father killed by groundskeeper Thomas Logan, to his escape into the wilds of northern Canada, where he is renamed Logan and nicknamed Wolverine.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible