Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds…

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (1986)

by Art Spiegelman

Series: Maus: A Survivor's Tale (1)

7,546192687 (4.44)296

English (187)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (192)
This graphic novel tells the story of the author's father's experience in the Holocaust. It is a deeply personal and vivid account that goes back and forth between the present day relationship between father and son, and the memories of the war.
  helenaament | Aug 12, 2018 |
Powerful story told through the eyes of the cartoonist son of his father who tries to survive WWII. The family is Jewish and the story is of their lives before WWII and the Nazi takeover of Germany to the time the man and his wife are separated at Auschwitz.

It is a hard story to hear how the survivors made it through and what they did to survive. Done though graphic novel format does not lessen the horrors or the fear. Going between the past and today, the story shows the contrast between the generations of survivors and their offspring. It shows how those experiences continued to influence the present life for those who made it.

This is not a book that will be left behind. I will remember it. I also want to read part 2. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Jul 27, 2018 |
[b: Maus|15195|The Complete Maus (Maus, #1-2)|Art Spiegelman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327354180s/15195.jpg|1658562] by [a: Art Spiegelman|5117|Art Spiegelman|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1206557373p2/5117.jpg] is one of the graphic novels that inevitably ends up high on the list of Must Read books. Its popularity is enormous, and deservedly so. The graphic novel has added a certain accessibility that is lost in other stories of the holocaust. [a: Art Spiegelman|5117|Art Spiegelman|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1206557373p2/5117.jpg] has also imbued this book with a more human quality that other accounts have lost.

[b: Night|1617|Night (The Night Trilogy, #1)|Elie Wiesel|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1391969340s/1617.jpg|265616] and [b: The Diary of Anne Frank|5513|The Diary of Anne Frank|Wendy Kesselman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343931608s/5513.jpg|42419722] both were books I was assigned in high school. While they had an impact on me, neither hit me as hard as [b: Maus|15195|The Complete Maus (Maus, #1-2)|Art Spiegelman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327354180s/15195.jpg|1658562] ended up doing. I approached [b: Maus|15195|The Complete Maus (Maus, #1-2)|Art Spiegelman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327354180s/15195.jpg|1658562] on my own terms, and was surprised to find that behind the face of the holocaust survivor heroes there was a humbleness and a bitterness that was so much easier to understand. The holocaust took the best and the worst, and putting a face and a name on those who lived and died does wonders for bringing the horrors home.

This is a book that deserves to be read, and for many, needs to be read. History is something we all need to learn from. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Art Spiegelman illustrates his father's experiences of World War II and the Nazi War Machine, specifically the brutal fate of the Jews during war time. In personifying these groups, good and bad, as cats and mice, Spiegelman presents a complicated story to those of a younger age. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jun 2, 2018 |
My only editorial "critique" of any holocaust documentation or story is this: Why are we STILL portraying the depraved thugs as if they were somehow worthy of the adoration they STILL get from young males? The leadership of the Nazi party -- Adolph, Goering, Goebbels, Himmler--these men were NOT smart, visionary, or coherent. They were predatory bullies who targeted the vulnerable and stole from them. Oh, and they were liars. About almost everything. Let's be crystal clear about this -- and the fact that their victims included Deutschland and all of its people. The Nazis killed more of their own than the Russians did. Let that sink in to the weak-minded men who want to "obey" and admire bullies. The "followers" are not smart. ( )
  keylawk | May 20, 2018 |
Making a Holocaust comic book with Jews as mice and Germans as cats would probably strike most people as flippant, if not appalling. ''Maus: A Survivor's Tale'' is the opposite of flippant and appalling. To express yourself as an artist, you must find a form that leaves you in control but doesn't leave you by yourself. That's how ''Maus'' looks to me - a way Mr. Spiegelman found of making art.

Spiegelman, Artprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amorim, FernandoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carano, RanieriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mouly, FrancoiseEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Jews are undoubtedly a race, but they are not human." Adolf Hitler
Purdue Jewish Studies Program
It was summer, I remember I was ten or eleven...
This is the single volume edition of "Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History". It does NOT contain the second volume of the story, Maus II.

DO NOT COMBINE with the omnibus edition containing both Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History and Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began!!!

AR 3.2, 3 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394747232, Paperback)

Some historical events simply beggar any attempt at description--the Holocaust is one of these. Therefore, as it recedes and the people able to bear witness die, it becomes more and more essential that novel, vigorous methods are used to describe the indescribable. Examined in these terms, Art Spiegelman's Maus is a tremendous achievement, from a historical perspective as well as an artistic one.

Spiegelman, a stalwart of the underground comics scene of the 1960s and '70s, interviewed his father, Vladek, a Holocaust survivor living outside New York City, about his experiences. The artist then deftly translated that story into a graphic novel. By portraying a true story of the Holocaust in comic form--the Jews are mice, the Germans cats, the Poles pigs, the French frogs, and the Americans dogs--Spiegelman compels the reader to imagine the action, to fill in the blanks that are so often shied away from. Reading Maus, you are forced to examine the Holocaust anew.

This is neither easy nor pleasant. However, Vladek Spiegelman and his wife Anna are resourceful heroes, and enough acts of kindness and decency appear in the tale to spur the reader onward (we also know that the protagonists survive, else reading would be too painful). This first volume introduces Vladek as a happy young man on the make in pre-war Poland. With outside events growing ever more ominous, we watch his marriage to Anna, his enlistment in the Polish army after the outbreak of hostilities, his and Anna's life in the ghetto, and then their flight into hiding as the Final Solution is put into effect. The ending is stark and terrible, but the worst is yet to come--in the second volume of this Pulitzer Prize-winning set. --Michael Gerber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:39 -0400)

The author-illustrator traces his father's imprisonment in a Nazi concentration camp through a series of disarming and unusual cartoons arranged to tell the story as a novel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,828,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible