Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father…

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (original 1986; edition 1986)

by Art Spiegelman

7,947197665 (4.43)302
The author-illustrator traces his father's imprisonment in a Nazi concentration camp through a series of disarming and unusual cartoons arranged to tell the story as a novel.
Member:timoheuer
Title:Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History
Authors:Art Spiegelman
Info:Pantheon (1986), Ausgabe: 1st, Paperback, 160 Seiten
Rating:*****
Tags:zweiter weltkrieg, krieg, juden, judentum, rassismus, biografie, leid, 2. weltkrieg, weltkrieg, graphic novel, comic, comicbuch, holocaust

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (1986)

Recently added byprivate library, sfzeller, ssteinbr, Jeeps, ClarkMESA, MelindaN, Ellanotenchanted, banjiewen
Legacy LibrariesGillian Rose

English (190)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (197)
A very strong story about the author's father's horrifying experiences as a Jew in Poland in the time of Hitler. An amazing story of survival, and a terrifying tale of death for so many who didn't make it. And in this, the Jews are portrayed as mice, and the Nazis as cats. It really makes for some powerful images.

So why only 3 stars from me? It was the "modern" story running around the above story. The author getting the story from his dad is so sad and angry, and the relationship between his dad and his dad's current wife is so full of hate, that it really took a lot away from the importance of the "survivor's tale". Honestly, I have no idea why it is included in here at all! This would have been so much better without the "modern" story that I really am baffled at its inclusion. I honestly doubt that I'd read part II if it is structured in the same way.

So, skip all the author/father stuff, and read the actual story. THAT story is brilliant! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Aug 19, 2019 |
My daughter was assigned to read this book for school, so of course I read it to. Any story about the holocaust is a sad story. This one is no exception. Told in graphic novel form, it is the true story of the author's father, who survived the Nazi concentration camps. Once again, I am struck with the feeling of disbelief. How could this have happened. Why did the people let this happen. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
This was a graphic novel and the story of the author and conversations with his father. His father and mother has survived the concentration camps of WWII, and he wanted to tell his story. Because he was a cartoonist, he decided to draw the Jewish people as the mice and the German soldiers as cats. During the interviews with his father he learns what it was like during the war. The author had a brother that was born during that time, but was taken away and killed. His mother committed suicide when the author was in his 20s. Now his father, remarried and unwell, relives for his son was it was like during the years the Nazis had control.

This was a good book, and a great way to tell yet another WWII story. I read at least 2-3 WWII novels a year, so it was nice to read something a little different about that period of time. And because it was the true account of a family and how they survived, that made it all the better.

I enjoyed it, and I encourage you to check it out. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
This one has been on my TBR list for ages. It's consistently on the lists you see of the best graphic novels of all time. There is good reason for that. It's amazing.

This is the first volume of a two volume story. It's about Spiegelman's troubled relationship with his father and it's about his father's life as a Jew in Poland.

Any story about the Holocaust is guaranteed to be heartbreaking. This one manages to have moments of joy and humor here and there amid the horror and sadness. It's a powerful story and the choice to portray the Jews and mice and the Nazis as cats is something I liked. I felt it added to the menace of the actions of the Nazis.

Reading this is in our present political climate certainly added to its power.

This first volume takes the story of Spiegelman's parents to the gates of Auschwitz and his present day relationship with his father to a fracturing point.

I already have volume two out from the library. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Dec 13, 2018 |
Very moving. Chilling reminder of terrible, unimaginable horrors. However, Spiegelman not only tells a Holocaust story, but also his own tenuous relationship with his father and their mourning for his mother's death. Very human and terrifying. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Making a Holocaust comic book with Jews as mice and Germans as cats would probably strike most people as flippant, if not appalling. ''Maus: A Survivor's Tale'' is the opposite of flippant and appalling. To express yourself as an artist, you must find a form that leaves you in control but doesn't leave you by yourself. That's how ''Maus'' looks to me - a way Mr. Spiegelman found of making art.

Spiegelman, Artprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amorim, FernandoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carano, RanieriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mouly, FrancoiseEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Jews are undoubtedly a race, but they are not human." Adolf Hitler
Purdue Jewish Studies Program
It was summer, I remember I was ten or eleven...
This is the single volume edition of "Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History". It does NOT contain the second volume of the story, Maus II.

DO NOT COMBINE with the omnibus edition containing both Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History and Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began!!!

AR 3.2, 3 Pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,200,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible