Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father…

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (original 1986; edition 1986)

by Art Spiegelman

Member:timoheuer
Title:Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History
Authors:Art Spiegelman
Info:Pantheon (1986), Ausgabe: 1st, Paperback, 160 Seiten
Rating:*****
Tags:zweiter weltkrieg, krieg, juden, judentum, rassismus, biografie, leid, 2. weltkrieg, weltkrieg, graphic novel, comic, comicbuch, holocaust

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (1986)

English (182)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (188)
My only editorial "critique" of any holocaust documentation or story is this: Why are we STILL portraying the depraved thugs as if they were somehow worthy of the adoration they STILL get from young males? The leadership of the Nazi party -- Adolph, Goering, Goebbels, Himmler--these men were NOT smart, visionary, or coherent. They were predatory bullies who targeted the vulnerable and stole from them. Oh, and they were liars. About almost everything. Let's be crystal clear about this -- and the fact that their victims included Deutschland and all of its people. The Nazis killed more of their own than the Russians did. Let that sink in to the weak-minded men who want to "obey" and admire bullies. The "followers" are not smart. ( )
  keylawk | May 20, 2018 |
I remember reading this book in high school and found this first experience to be interesting. We read this during a history class and I found the deviation from the traditional textbook to be a relief. While I find it difficult to pay attention to the illustrations of graphic novels, I remember feeling as if the pictures helped to bring this piece of history to life. Rereading this novel now as an adult and as a teacher, I am able to appreciate how this piece of literature can bring understanding and empathy on behalf of our students to those who have experienced such tragedy.
  DTourtellot | Apr 11, 2018 |
Excellent graphic novel! Talking to our elders isn't always easy, and this comic reflects that, but the stories of his father's time during the Nazi Era is both touching and heartbreaking and incredibly timeless. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
I really admire the amount of work spent on this story ( )
  aborham | Nov 26, 2017 |
Truly remarkable. Nothing else suffices. If you read any graphic novel, this should be it (and it's sequel, which you'll be compelled to read). ( )
  fancypantalons | Oct 27, 2017 |
Making a Holocaust comic book with Jews as mice and Germans as cats would probably strike most people as flippant, if not appalling. ''Maus: A Survivor's Tale'' is the opposite of flippant and appalling. To express yourself as an artist, you must find a form that leaves you in control but doesn't leave you by yourself. That's how ''Maus'' looks to me - a way Mr. Spiegelman found of making art.

Spiegelman, Artprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Amorim, FernandoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carano, RanieriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mouly, FrancoiseEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Jews are undoubtedly a race, but they are not human." Adolf Hitler
Purdue Jewish Studies Program
It was summer, I remember I was ten or eleven...
This is the single volume edition of "Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History". It does NOT contain the second volume of the story, Maus II.

DO NOT COMBINE with the omnibus edition containing both Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History and Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began!!!

AR 3.2, 3 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394747232, Paperback)

Some historical events simply beggar any attempt at description--the Holocaust is one of these. Therefore, as it recedes and the people able to bear witness die, it becomes more and more essential that novel, vigorous methods are used to describe the indescribable. Examined in these terms, Art Spiegelman's Maus is a tremendous achievement, from a historical perspective as well as an artistic one.

Spiegelman, a stalwart of the underground comics scene of the 1960s and '70s, interviewed his father, Vladek, a Holocaust survivor living outside New York City, about his experiences. The artist then deftly translated that story into a graphic novel. By portraying a true story of the Holocaust in comic form--the Jews are mice, the Germans cats, the Poles pigs, the French frogs, and the Americans dogs--Spiegelman compels the reader to imagine the action, to fill in the blanks that are so often shied away from. Reading Maus, you are forced to examine the Holocaust anew.

This is neither easy nor pleasant. However, Vladek Spiegelman and his wife Anna are resourceful heroes, and enough acts of kindness and decency appear in the tale to spur the reader onward (we also know that the protagonists survive, else reading would be too painful). This first volume introduces Vladek as a happy young man on the make in pre-war Poland. With outside events growing ever more ominous, we watch his marriage to Anna, his enlistment in the Polish army after the outbreak of hostilities, his and Anna's life in the ghetto, and then their flight into hiding as the Final Solution is put into effect. The ending is stark and terrible, but the worst is yet to come--in the second volume of this Pulitzer Prize-winning set. --Michael Gerber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:39 -0400)

The author-illustrator traces his father's imprisonment in a Nazi concentration camp through a series of disarming and unusual cartoons arranged to tell the story as a novel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,512,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible