The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman

The Complete Maus (original 1980; edition 2003)

by Art Spiegelman

5,4841821,197 (4.52)1 / 293
Member:othersam
Title:The Complete Maus
Authors:Art Spiegelman
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (2003), Paperback, 296 pages

Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (1980)

Resistance: Book 1 by Carla Jablonski (cransell)
    Yossel by Joe Kubert (kxlly)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (mcenroeucsb)
    Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth by Apostolos Doxiadis (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Graphic novels with historical subject-matter straddling the line between fiction and non-fiction and containing the parallel story of their own creation.
    The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition by Anne Frank (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Two stories of the Holocaust. One is in prose, the other is in comics format; both are appealing to diverse audiences.
    Footnotes in Gaza: A Graphic Novel by Joe Sacco (Felipe-F)
    Fax from Sarajevo by Joe Kubert (Felipe-F)
    Claus von Stauffenberg: Zeuge im Feuer by Peter Steinbach (JqnOC)
    Death Is My Trade by Robert Merle (yokai)
    Vietnamerica: A Family's Journey by GB Tran (sduff222)

English (150)  French (7)  Dutch (6)  Italian (5)  Catalan (5)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (182)
I think that this is a really good way to teach kids about the holocaust. i think that sometimes history teachers are really boring and they drone on and on. But if you give them a graphic novel that has all the information in it. I think it would be much more retained and understood. ( )
  s_cat1 | Nov 26, 2018 |
I was expecting the harrowing tales of the holocaust. I was not expecting the perfectly, painfully drawn parent/child relationship, full of guilt and complexity. The book is heartbreaking and fascinating. ( )
  atreic | Nov 1, 2018 |
I’ve had Maus for months only reading a few pages at a time. It is a non-fiction graphic novel about a young New Yorker interviewing his father about his time in the Holocaust. It’s hard to explain why reading about the ghettos, Auschwitz and the marches come across even more horrific in comic book form, but I had a harder time with this than most WWII books. The portions in the present show the complications of relationships in terms of survivor’s guilt and the stress that caused for Art as a son. I completely understand why this book is listed as a must-read of the 20th century. I did read the many critiques from as basic as if the holocaust should ever be in comic book form to the fact that by portraying the different groups as animals (Jews-mice, Germans-cats, poles-pigs) it reinforces the Nazi beliefs of major differences in genetics. All points I didn’t think about as I was reading. I think just the fact that this book has received so many reviews and criticisms shows how powerful it is. ( )
  strandbooks | Oct 17, 2018 |
The Complete Maus🍒🍒🍒🍒🍌
By Art Speigelman
1986

This true graphic memoir tells the story of Vladek Spiegelman and his wife, Anja, and their survival through the Holocaust in Hitlers Europe.
Heartwarming and heart wrenching at the same time, Speigelman so vividly brings to life the tension, desperation and desolation of his situation, it's so personal and real. The strife he felt, humiliation and torture he endured and his resilience and pure determination to survive and maybe escape....to find his wife Anja after years of this.....was profound. And touched me deeply.
This was so good but so hard to read....this is one of the best books about the holocaust I've read and deserves to up there with 'Night' by Wiesel.
Highly recommended. I'm speechless. ( )
  over.the.edge | Aug 19, 2018 |
Graphic Novel. True story of the author's father and mother first hiding from the Nazis, then going into a concentration camp. The story is told with rats as Jews, cats as Nazis. If you change the facts the truth can be articulated better. Scene where the author asks his therapist (also a concentration camp survivor) to tell him what being in Auschwitz was really like is worthy of Dostoevsky or Faulkner. ( )
  margaretfield | Jun 6, 2018 |

Art Spiegelmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Durlacher, JessicaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Previtali, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, Antonio de MacedoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Jews are undoubtedly a race, but they are not human." Adolf Hitler
For Anja
Last one to the schoolyard is a rotten egg.
This is the OMNIBUS edition containing both "Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History" and "Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began".

DO NOT COMBINE with individual editions of Maus I or Maus II!!!

On the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of its first publication, here is the definitive edition of the book acclaimed as “the most affecting and successful narrative ever done about the Holocaust” (Wall Street Journal) and “the first masterpiece in comic book history” (The New Yorker).

The Pulitzer Prize-winning Maus tells the story of Vladek Spiegelman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler’s Europe, and his son, a cartoonist coming to terms with his father’s story. Maus approaches the unspeakable through the diminutive. Its form, the cartoon (the Nazis are cats, the Jews mice), shocks us out of any lingering sense of familiarity and succeeds in “drawing us closer to the bleak heart of the Holocaust” (The New York Times).

Maus is a haunting tale within a tale. Vladek’s harrowing story of survival is woven into the author’s account of his tortured relationship with his aging father. Against the backdrop of guilt brought by survival, they stage a normal life of small arguments and unhappy visits. This astonishing retelling of our century’s grisliest news is a story of survival, not only of Vladek but of the children who survive even the survivors. Maus studies the bloody pawprints of history and tracks its meaning for all of us.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:18 -0400)

This book memorializes Spiegelman's father's experience of the Holocaust - it follows his story, frame by frame, from youth and marriage in pre-war Poland to imprisonment in Auschwitz. The 'survivor's tale' that results is stark and unembellished.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,727,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible