The complete Maus by producer. Elizabeth…

The complete Maus (original 1980; edition 1994)

by producer. Elizabeth Scarborough, Art Spiegelman

5,4181771,195 (4.52)1 / 287
Member:caitiem
Title:The complete Maus
Authors:producer. Elizabeth Scarborough
Other authors:Art Spiegelman
Info:New York : Voyager, c1994.

Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (1980)

Resistance: Book 1 by Carla Jablonski (cransell)
    Yossel by Joe Kubert (kxlly)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (mcenroeucsb)
    Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth by Apostolos Doxiadis (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Graphic novels with historical subject-matter straddling the line between fiction and non-fiction and containing the parallel story of their own creation.
    The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition by Anne Frank (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Two stories of the Holocaust. One is in prose, the other is in comics format; both are appealing to diverse audiences.
    Footnotes in Gaza: A Graphic Novel by Joe Sacco (Felipe-F)
    Fax from Sarajevo by Joe Kubert (Felipe-F)
    Claus von Stauffenberg: Zeuge im Feuer by Peter Steinbach (JqnOC)
    Death Is My Trade by Robert Merle (yokai)
    Vietnamerica: A Family's Journey by GB Tran (sduff222)

English (147)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  Catalan (5)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (177)
I’ve had Maus for months only reading a few pages at a time. It is a non-fiction graphic novel about a young New Yorker interviewing his father about his time in the Holocaust. It’s hard to explain why reading about the ghettos, Auschwitz and the marches come across even more horrific in comic book form, but I had a harder time with this than most WWII books. The portions in the present show the complications of relationships in terms of survivor’s guilt and the stress that caused for Art as a son. I completely understand why this book is listed as a must-read of the 20th century. I did read the many critiques from as basic as if the holocaust should ever be in comic book form to the fact that by portraying the different groups as animals (Jews-mice, Germans-cats, poles-pigs) it reinforces the Nazi beliefs of major differences in genetics. All points I didn’t think about as I was reading. I think just the fact that this book has received so many reviews and criticisms shows how powerful it is. ( )
  strandbooks | Oct 17, 2018 |
Graphic Novel. True story of the author's father and mother first hiding from the Nazis, then going into a concentration camp. The story is told with rats as Jews, cats as Nazis. If you change the facts the truth can be articulated better. Scene where the author asks his therapist (also a concentration camp survivor) to tell him what being in Auschwitz was really like is worthy of Dostoevsky or Faulkner. ( )
  margaretfield | Jun 6, 2018 |
Vladek Spiegelman was a Polish Jew born on October 11,1906. As a young man he bought and sold textiles. While visiting his family he met a girl named Anja. Vladek describes her as a smart, clever girl, but not the prettiest. He moves from Czechstochowa to Sosnowiec to be with Anja. They get married on February 14,1937. Anja would always have this boy visit her. This boy turned out to be a communist. She would translate the messages the boy gave her into German. Police got wind of this and came looking for her. Anja panicked and gave the papers to the seamstress, the police arrested her. Vladek found a job running a factory in Bielsko. While looking for a house Vladek got a call telling him Anja was sick. Giving birth was too much for Anja. So she and Vladek went to a Santarium for 3 months and by that time the Nazis where arresting Jews. Vladek's factory was completely robbed. He joined the Polish Army, was caught on the battle field, and was taken by the Germans. Vladek was sent to labor camp. After months there, he was freed and sent on a train "home" but the Germans were going to kill them. He escaped and returned to his family. His home was the same but the town was different. For instance, now there was a underground market to buy food without coupons since the Germans ran every shop in town. They would do round ups, raid houses, and public beatings. Then the Jews were relocated. When people started going to Auschwitz, Vladeks family hid but soon they were found. They were sent to the ghetto. Then the Germans started killing everyone. Vladek left with his wife and started hiding with Poles. They were caught and sent to Auschwitz. There, Vladek made friends with high people but then when it was time to go to the real work camps Vladek knew right where to stand. Anja was having a hard time with all the hard work. Vladek became a shoemaker there. In the end they find each other after being seperated for several years.

This book helped me understand a little more what the Jewish people went through during this time. The author is Jewish and he wrote this book to tell his father's story. Students in America should be required to read this book to gain an understanding of the Holocaust. This book does a good job of painting a picture of what life was like for Jews during the Holocaust. It is also very interesting how the author uses mice to represent Jews and cats to represent Germans. It gives it a stronger storyline. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  RiverR.G1 | Jun 1, 2018 |
Era da anni che avrei voluto leggerlo ma, chissà perché, non avevo mai avuto l'occasione di comprarlo. Un libro bello e fastidioso, struggente e tutte quelle altre cose che si provano quando un autore riesce a farti intuire la differenza tra il Bene e il Male, e ciò che invece hanno in comune. Mi chiedo: farlo leggere a scuola insieme a Primo Levi? ( )
  Eva_Filoramo | May 3, 2018 |
I could not rate this book. It was powerful, disturbing, honest. I cried and I cringed and I ached. I don't know what else to say.
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |

Art Spiegelmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Durlacher, JessicaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Previtali, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, Antonio de MacedoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Jews are undoubtedly a race, but they are not human." Adolf Hitler
For Anja
Last one to the schoolyard is a rotten egg.
This is the OMNIBUS edition containing both "Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History" and "Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began".

DO NOT COMBINE with individual editions of Maus I or Maus II!!!

On the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of its first publication, here is the definitive edition of the book acclaimed as “the most affecting and successful narrative ever done about the Holocaust” (Wall Street Journal) and “the first masterpiece in comic book history” (The New Yorker).

The Pulitzer Prize-winning Maus tells the story of Vladek Spiegelman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler’s Europe, and his son, a cartoonist coming to terms with his father’s story. Maus approaches the unspeakable through the diminutive. Its form, the cartoon (the Nazis are cats, the Jews mice), shocks us out of any lingering sense of familiarity and succeeds in “drawing us closer to the bleak heart of the Holocaust” (The New York Times).

Maus is a haunting tale within a tale. Vladek’s harrowing story of survival is woven into the author’s account of his tortured relationship with his aging father. Against the backdrop of guilt brought by survival, they stage a normal life of small arguments and unhappy visits. This astonishing retelling of our century’s grisliest news is a story of survival, not only of Vladek but of the children who survive even the survivors. Maus studies the bloody pawprints of history and tracks its meaning for all of us.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:18 -0400)

This book memorializes Spiegelman's father's experience of the Holocaust - it follows his story, frame by frame, from youth and marriage in pre-war Poland to imprisonment in Auschwitz. The 'survivor's tale' that results is stark and unembellished.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,618,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible