Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art…

Maus: A Survivor's Tale (original 1980; edition 2003)

by Art Spiegelman

4,787145973 (4.52)1 / 248
Member:twinkley
Title:Maus: A Survivor's Tale
Authors:Art Spiegelman
Info:Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (2003), Paperback, 296 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:graphic novel, non-fiction

Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (1980)

Resistance: Book 1 by Carla Jablonski (cransell)
    Yossel by Joe Kubert (kxlly)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (mcenroeucsb)
    Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth by Apostolos Doxiadis (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Graphic novels with historical subject-matter straddling the line between fiction and non-fiction and containing the parallel story of their own creation.
    The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition by Anne Frank (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Two stories of the Holocaust. One is in prose, the other is in comics format; both are appealing to diverse audiences.
    Footnotes in Gaza: A Graphic Novel by Joe Sacco (Felipe-F)
    Fax from Sarajevo by Joe Kubert (Felipe-F)
    Claus von Stauffenberg: Zeuge im Feuer by Peter Steinbach (JqnOC)
    Death Is My Trade by Robert Merle (yokai)
    Vietnamerica: A Family's Journey by GB Tran (sduff222)

English (129)  French (6)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All (145)
An amazing graphic novel about the Holocaust. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
So far the best book I have read this year. ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
Maus is the retelling of Spiegelman's father's life experience as a Jew living through World War II. The story of his parent's lives during their time before, during, and after Auschwitz is told wonderfully through the graphic depiction, and I rather enjoyed reading it. The panels that depict the time at which Spiegelman was learning about his father's life was rather interesting as well. I think that this would be a good graphic novel to get students to test the waters where they might not otherwise.
  hcchilders | Oct 31, 2016 |
This is a summaryI found: "Combined for the first time here are Maus I: A Survivor's Tale and Maus II - the complete story of Vladek Spiegelman and his wife, living and surviving in Hitler's Europe. By addressing the horror of the Holocaust through cartoons, the author captures the everyday reality of fear and is able to explore the guilt, relief and extraordinary sensation of survival - and how the children of survivors are in their own way affected by the trials of their parents. A contemporary classic of immeasurable significance."

So far reading it I love it. Maus is really two parallel stories, not one. It jumps back and forth between the two stories, one set in the past (Poland), the other set in the present (NYC). The artistry is incredible as well. ( )
  Jacobf | Oct 25, 2016 |

Art Spiegelmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spiegelman, Artmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Soares, Antonio de MacedoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Jews are undoubtedly a race, but they are not human." Adolf Hitler
For Anja
Last one to the schoolyard is a rotten egg.
This is the OMNIBUS edition containing both "Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History" and "Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began".

DO NOT COMBINE with individual editions of Maus I or Maus II!!!

On the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of its first publication, here is the definitive edition of the book acclaimed as “the most affecting and successful narrative ever done about the Holocaust” (Wall Street Journal) and “the first masterpiece in comic book history” (The New Yorker).

The Pulitzer Prize-winning Maus tells the story of Vladek Spiegelman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler’s Europe, and his son, a cartoonist coming to terms with his father’s story. Maus approaches the unspeakable through the diminutive. Its form, the cartoon (the Nazis are cats, the Jews mice), shocks us out of any lingering sense of familiarity and succeeds in “drawing us closer to the bleak heart of the Holocaust” (The New York Times).

Maus is a haunting tale within a tale. Vladek’s harrowing story of survival is woven into the author’s account of his tortured relationship with his aging father. Against the backdrop of guilt brought by survival, they stage a normal life of small arguments and unhappy visits. This astonishing retelling of our century’s grisliest news is a story of survival, not only of Vladek but of the children who survive even the survivors. Maus studies the bloody pawprints of history and tracks its meaning for all of us.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:18 -0400)

This book memorializes Spiegelman's father's experience of the Holocaust - it follows his story, frame by frame, from youth and marriage in pre-war Poland to imprisonment in Auschwitz. The 'survivor's tale' that results is stark and unembellished.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,643,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible