Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art…

Maus: A Survivor's Tale (original 1980; edition 2003)

by Art Spiegelman

4,7111431,000 (4.52)1 / 243
Member:token0
Title:Maus: A Survivor's Tale
Authors:Art Spiegelman
Info:Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (2003), Paperback, 296 pages
Collections:Read, eBooks
Rating:**1/2

Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (1980)

Resistance: Book 1 by Carla Jablonski (cransell)
    Yossel by Joe Kubert (kxlly)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (mcenroeucsb)
    Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth by Apostolos Doxiadis (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Graphic novels with historical subject-matter straddling the line between fiction and non-fiction and containing the parallel story of their own creation.
    The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition by Anne Frank (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Two stories of the Holocaust. One is in prose, the other is in comics format; both are appealing to diverse audiences.
    Footnotes in Gaza: A Graphic Novel by Joe Sacco (Felipe-F)
    Fax from Sarajevo by Joe Kubert (Felipe-F)
    Claus von Stauffenberg: Zeuge im Feuer by Peter Steinbach (JqnOC)
    Death Is My Trade by Robert Merle (yokai)
    Vietnamerica: A Family's Journey by G. B. Tran (sduff222)

English (127)  French (6)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All (143)
So far the best book I have read this year. ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
Maus is the retelling of Spiegelman's father's life experience as a Jew living through World War II. The story of his parent's lives during their time before, during, and after Auschwitz is told wonderfully through the graphic depiction, and I rather enjoyed reading it. The panels that depict the time at which Spiegelman was learning about his father's life was rather interesting as well. I think that this would be a good graphic novel to get students to test the waters where they might not otherwise.
  hcchilders | Oct 31, 2016 |
This is a summaryI found: "Combined for the first time here are Maus I: A Survivor's Tale and Maus II - the complete story of Vladek Spiegelman and his wife, living and surviving in Hitler's Europe. By addressing the horror of the Holocaust through cartoons, the author captures the everyday reality of fear and is able to explore the guilt, relief and extraordinary sensation of survival - and how the children of survivors are in their own way affected by the trials of their parents. A contemporary classic of immeasurable significance."

So far reading it I love it. Maus is really two parallel stories, not one. It jumps back and forth between the two stories, one set in the past (Poland), the other set in the present (NYC). The artistry is incredible as well. ( )
  Jacobf | Oct 25, 2016 |
I have been a graphic novel reader for a very long time and I always see Maus and have never picked it up. I recently saw it at my local library so I decided to give it a try. I knew going into it that this particular graphic novel causes some controversy and I wanted to read it to know why or make my own decisions.

Maus is the story of a survivor of the Holocaust as told to his son through an extended interview. The book depicts the Jewish as mice, the Polish as pigs, and the Germans as Cats and goes back and forth between a current timeline and what was happening to Vladek (the survivor) during his experiences with the Nazis.

This first installment is really a build up. Artie starts talking to his father about his history and this leads to the overall tale. Vladek in this book is talking about the beginning, being in the war, coming home, having things taken, people going missing, and the events leading up to his stay in Auschwitz. Although, readers don't start to hear the tales of the camps until the 2nd book.

I have to admit that this book is very deep, it is an emotional journey regardless of if it is fiction or non-fiction. Tales of the Holocaust are always emotional. It too was very sad that the author chose to depict the characters as animals - I think that these choices say a lot about how each of the groups were portrayed and I feel there was some insensitivity to those groups. Everyone in Europe was affected by the Holocaust and I think this tale is taking a very complex social dynamic and trying to fit it in a box... 'the cats were bad, the poles were no better'... and there were some that did not stand for the injustices committed.

I think that this is an important piece of graphic novel evolution/ canon - it is a strong message, an emotional event, and I think that Spiegelman wrote it to be as deep as it is. It makes readers think about the horrors, but it can also make readers think about how complex the issues were by being so understated here. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
Quirky yet moving, this graphic novel is the story, as related to the author by his Jewish father, of living through the Holocaust and experiencing life in a concentration camp. The Jews are portrayed as mice, the Nazis as cats. Vivid and memorable. ( )
  Cinnamon_Heart | Apr 20, 2016 |

Art Spiegelmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spiegelman, Artmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Soares, Antonio de MacedoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Jews are undoubtedly a race, but they are not human." Adolf Hitler
For Anja
Last one to the schoolyard is a rotten egg.
This is the OMNIBUS edition containing both "Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History" and "Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began".

DO NOT COMBINE with individual editions of Maus I or Maus II!!!

On the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of its first publication, here is the definitive edition of the book acclaimed as “the most affecting and successful narrative ever done about the Holocaust” (Wall Street Journal) and “the first masterpiece in comic book history” (The New Yorker).

The Pulitzer Prize-winning Maus tells the story of Vladek Spiegelman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler’s Europe, and his son, a cartoonist coming to terms with his father’s story. Maus approaches the unspeakable through the diminutive. Its form, the cartoon (the Nazis are cats, the Jews mice), shocks us out of any lingering sense of familiarity and succeeds in “drawing us closer to the bleak heart of the Holocaust” (The New York Times).

Maus is a haunting tale within a tale. Vladek’s harrowing story of survival is woven into the author’s account of his tortured relationship with his aging father. Against the backdrop of guilt brought by survival, they stage a normal life of small arguments and unhappy visits. This astonishing retelling of our century’s grisliest news is a story of survival, not only of Vladek but of the children who survive even the survivors. Maus studies the bloody pawprints of history and tracks its meaning for all of us.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:18 -0400)

This book memorializes Spiegelman's father's experience of the Holocaust - it follows his story, frame by frame, from youth and marriage in pre-war Poland to imprisonment in Auschwitz. The 'survivor's tale' that results is stark and unembellished.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,799,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible