Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Scoop! by Hannah Dennison

Officially, Vicky Hill is the obituary writer for the Gazette in Gipping-on-Plym. But in her overactive imagination, she’s an intrepid investigative reporter who’s constantly seeking “A Vicky Hill Exclusive.” That same vivid imagination runs wild in the romance department, too – she’s able to visualize the wedding and even possible in-law problems upon meeting an eligible and reasonably attractive male for the first time.

Attending funerals is part of Vicky’s job description. While at the service for Gordon Berry, killed in a hedge-cutting accident, Vicky is led to believe the man may have been murdered. Using non-standard journalistic methods is standard for Vicky. She goes so far as to date the paramedic who was the first person on the scene following Mr. Berry’s accident. Soon she’s in over her head and pursuing several possible Vicky Hill exclusives.

Although I liked the idea of Scoop – an obituary writer as amateur sleuth -- I thought the plot was too cluttered with sub-plots and the cast of characters too large. I know Scoop is supposed to be funny, but I felt the humor was a bit contrived. The overall effect was a scattered story that was often hard to follow. For some reason, however, I stayed with it to the end and found myself liking Vicky as a heroine, inept though she was. I believe this series has potential and could improve as the author grows in her craft.

By Diana. First published in the Cozy Library April 8, 2009. ( )
  NewsieQ | Apr 8, 2009 |

Vicky will do anything to get off the obituary circuit and on to the front page! If there's one thing Vicky has learnt as an obituary writer, it's how to spot something fishy at a funeral - and plenty is amiss at the service for Gordon Berry.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,698,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible