The Shining (Signet) by Stephen King

The Shining (Signet) (original 1977; edition 1978)

by Stephen King

16,723348182 (4.12)2 / 832
Member:rattus
Title:The Shining (Signet)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1978), Edition: First Edition, Paperback

The Shining by Stephen King (1977)

1970s (24)
Ghosts (10)

English (336)  Italian (3)  Dutch (3)  French (3)  Danish (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (349)
Glad there wasn't an effort to explain the motivations of the hotel, no long exposition on the strategy of evil. Just scare after scare. Perfect. ( )
  sarcher | Jul 7, 2019 |
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I just don't think Stephen King is a good author fit for me. For the majority of the book, I was simply bored. The pacing felt off. In my opinion, a good horror story should keep you on the edge of your seat. It doesn't have to be gratuitously gory or be nothing but scare after scare. In fact, the best horror and thriller novels scare you, give you a chance to catch your breath, maybe lull you into a false sense of security, and then scare you to death again. Sadly, The Shining didn't do that for me. There were a couple of scenes that did make me uncomfortable, and it's going to be a while before I can leave my shower curtain closed, but after delivering a fright, the book descended back into dullness. The characters felt flat and for much of the 600+ pages, I really didn't care one way or the other who survived. I just wanted the book to be over. ( )
  DGRachel | Jun 14, 2019 |
4.5/5

This book is simply amazing! The writing style was a little difficult to get used to at the start, including the way that the book was laid out. This book had sat on my shelf for several years and now I wish I had picked it up much sooner!

The only reason that this is not a full 5/5 is because I did not find this novel nearly as scary, although that might also just be my perception. This is a pretty quick read, but its addicting and hard to put down, so make sure you clear out a day in your reading schedule before you decide to pick it up! ( )
  ZachLloydMusic | May 8, 2019 |
The Shining is a must read for those who enjoy psychological thrillers. The only complaint I would have about this book is that it is very descriptive and takes at least a whole page to describe one thing, but that is just my personal preference. This is a read that keeps you on your toes at all times, and you wont know what happens next within each page turn. ( )
  jessicaib.36 | May 3, 2019 |
I thought this book actually caught my interests. Many people were telling me how "The Shining" is a really good book and I thought they were just exaggerating, so I read it. I love a mysterious and daunting book! ( )
  Danny14 | May 3, 2019 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christensen, HarroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davies, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dell'Orto, AdrianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isomursu, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was in this apartment, also, that there stood against the western wall, a gigantic clock of ebony.  Its pendulum swung to and fro with a dull, heavy, monotonous clang; and when the minute-hand made the circuit of the face, and the hour was to be stricken, there came from the brazen lungs of the clock a sound which was clear and loud and deep and exceedingly musical, but of so peculiar a note and emphasis that,
at each lapse of an hour, the musicians of the orchestra were constrained to pause, momentarily, in their performance, to harken to the sound; and thus the waltzers perforce ceased their evolutions; and there was a brief disconcert of the whole gay company; and, while the chimes of the clock yet rang, it was observed that the giddiest grew pale, and the more aged and sedate passed their hands over their brows as if in confused revery or meditation.  But when the echoes had fully ceased, a light laughter at once pervaded the assembly; the musicians looked at each other and smiled as if at their own nervousness and folly, and made whispering vows, each to the other, that the next chiming of the clock should produce in them no similar emotion; and then, after the lapse of sixty minutes, (which embrace three thousand and six hundred seconds of the Time that flies,) there came yet another chiming of the clock, and then were the same disconcert and tremulousness and meditation as before.
But, in spite of these things, it was a gay and magnificent revel.
E. A. Poe
'The Masque of the Red Death'

The sleep of reason breeds monsters.
Goya

It'll shine when it shines.
Folk saying.
This is for Joe Hill King, who shines on.
My editor on this book, as on the previous two, was M. William G. Thompson, a man of wit and good sense. His contribution to this book has been large, and for it, my thanks.
Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick.
Hallorann’s testicles turned into two small wrinkled sacs filled with shaved ice.

The Overlook Hotel is more than just a home-away-from-home for the Torrance family. For Jack, Wendy, and their young son, Danny, it is a place where past horrors come to life. And where those gifted with "the shining" do battle with the darkest evils. Stephen King's classic thriller is one of the most powerfully imagined novels of our time.

"YOU'RE THE CARETAKER, SIR. YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN THE CARETAKER. I SHOULD KNOW, SIR. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN HERE...."

-- DELBERT GRADY OF THE OVERLOOK HOTEL

THE SHINING

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to laim the very souls of the Torrence family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendaryStanley Kubrick -- featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson --The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:29 -0400)

Danny is only five years old but in the words of old Mr Hallorann, he is a 'shiner', aglow with psychic voltage. When his father becomes caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, his visions grow frighteningly out of control. As winter closes in, the hotel develops a life of it's own. Somewhere, somehow there is an evil force, and that too is beginning to shine.… (more)

4 1904
5 1963

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,317,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible