The Shining by Stephen King

The Shining (original 1977; edition 2012)

by Stephen King

14,271281141 (4.11)2 / 733
Member:khulien
Title:The Shining
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Collections:Fiction: Horror, 2012 Readings, Your library
Tags:Genre: Horror, Ghosts, Colorado, Genre: Thriller, Supernatural

The Shining by Stephen King (1977)

1970s (57)
Ghosts (22)

English (272)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (281)
One of his best. ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
It wasn't so scary that I had to put it in the freezer, but it was pretty scary. ( )
  kathleenbarber | Aug 8, 2016 |
Stephen King is one of my favorite authors. He never fails to scare you.

The Shining is about a man, Jack Torrance, down on his luck. Mostly his own doing, he has anger and drinking problems. He needs a job to support his wife, Wendy; and son, Danny.
He accepts a position as caretaker of a hotel in the mountains during the off season. This hotel has had it's share of deaths over the years.
Jack and Danny have some kind of psychic abilities. They start to feel the evil in the hotel, then see ghost.
Jack begins to lose his mind.

This is a super read. I actually have read this book 3 or 4 times over the years, and watch the movie and tv miniseries. ( )
  pamkaye | Jul 8, 2016 |
“It’s tricking Daddy, it’s fooling him, trying to make him think it wants him the most. It wants me the most, but it will take all of us.”

To make me feel old, I realize it's been almost 20 years since the last time I read this. I was in Junior High school the first time and, as you can imagine, I've forgotten most of it. A re-read was completely in order.

Being an earlier King work, it still stands as one of his creepiest, complex, and unique works. The story is mainly told through the point of view of five people - Danny, a small boy with an amazing ability which still manages to creep me out (as it's meant to); Jack, a recovering alcoholic who struggles with anger issues, writing woes, and being a family man amidst his past mistakes; Wendy, a submissive woman who puts up with a lot of crap from her domineering husband and gets on everyone's nerves at least a little bit; the cook who realizes something is tragically wrong when he shares his ability with the child; and the evil hotel spirit, who is too fully explained and a bit cheesy to boot.

Mixing all of these and putting it into the Overlook hotel was a treat. The cold winter made isolation convincing and necessary. I don't know about you, but cabin fever would not be fun in that large hotel locked up with my family either. It's much bigger than a cabin, of course, but the isolation and the big, echoing rooms while everyone struggled with their personal inner demons before even encountering the evil spirit was epic.

The maze and the hedge animals - creepy as can be. The lion, the rabbit, all the animals worked together for a few scenes to make the suspense raise through the roof. Were they really moving out of the corner of the eye, was it the imagination, should you look back when you are running away and risk it just in case?

Jack may have ended up being the bad guy, but he was a likeable character. I sympathized with him. He was flawed, as everyone is, and under immense pressure. It didn't excuse his weaknesses to the drink and former outbursts of anger toward his wife and child, but he kept trying to move forward and genuinely did love his family. Wendy whined and was clingy, yet was a good mother/wife in her way and lent to the credibility of the story. Danny as the little guy was adorable, but the gift of the Shining was the coolest part of the book. I thought it fascinated and putting this gift in almost any situation or story would have made it a good book.

Suspense and tension is thick and present, even during some of the slower scenes, but this sedated buildup and psychological play that's always going on with the inner demons is what makes this work so fascinating. Unfortunately, the ending of the book soured on me. I think giving the evilness a personality and childishness is a mistake. Having it realize the end and what was going to transpire and how it talked was, well, irritating, and put in a lot of cheese into what otherwise was a sophisticated, serious horror novel.

Despite the ending, this stands as one of the best haunted stories. All owe it to themselves to read this one. ( )
1 vote ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
A recovering alcoholic father with a violent temper is driven by the evilness of a hotel to try to kill his wife and son. The son has "the shining", an ability to talk to spirits.

I would NOT suggest this book for any survivors of child or spousal abuse. King is such a good storyteller that he makes the violence all too real. And although "the hotel causes" Jack to be violent, it's all too easy to forget the supernatural cause if you have such real abuse in your head. ( )
  ktoonen | Jun 10, 2016 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christensen, HarroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davies, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isomursu, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was in this apartment, also, that there stood against the western wall, a gigantic clock of ebony.  Its pendulum swung to and fro with a dull, heavy, monotonous clang; and when the minute-hand made the circuit of the face, and the hour was to be stricken, there came from the brazen lungs of the clock a sound which was clear and loud and deep and exceedingly musical, but of so peculiar a note and emphasis that,
at each lapse of an hour, the musicians of the orchestra were constrained to pause, momentarily, in their performance, to harken to the sound; and thus the waltzers perforce ceased their evolutions; and there was a brief disconcert of the whole gay company; and, while the chimes of the clock yet rang, it was observed that the giddiest grew pale, and the more aged and sedate passed their hands over their brows as if in confused revery or meditation.  But when the echoes had fully ceased, a light laughter at once pervaded the assembly; the musicians looked at each other and smiled as if at their own nervousness and folly, and made whispering vows, each to the other, that the next chiming of the clock should produce in them no similar emotion; and then, after the lapse of sixty minutes, (which embrace three thousand and six hundred seconds of the Time that flies,) there came yet another chiming of the clock, and then were the same disconcert and tremulousness and meditation as before.
But, in spite of these things, it was a gay and magnificent revel.
E. A. Poe
'The Masque of the Red Death'

The sleep of reason breeds monsters.
Goya

It'll shine when it shines.
Folk saying.
This is for Joe Hill King, who shines on.
My editor on this book, as on the previous two, was M. William G. Thompson, a man of wit and good sense. His contribution to this book has been large, and for it, my thanks.
Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick.
Hallorann’s testicles turned into two small wrinkled sacs filled with shaved ice.

The Overlook Hotel is more than just a home-away-from-home for the Torrance family. For Jack, Wendy, and their young son, Danny, it is a place where past horrors come to life. And where those gifted with "the shining" do battle with the darkest evils. Stephen King's classic thriller is one of the most powerfully imagined novels of our time.

"YOU'RE THE CARETAKER, SIR. YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN THE CARETAKER. I SHOULD KNOW, SIR. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN HERE...."

-- DELBERT GRADY OF THE OVERLOOK HOTEL

THE SHINING

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to laim the very souls of the Torrence family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendaryStanley Kubrick -- featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson --The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:29 -0400)

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to claim the very souls of the Torrance family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendary director Stanley Kubrick -- featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson --The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,393,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible