The Shining by Stephen King

The Shining (original 1977; edition 2012)

by Stephen King

13,753266152 (4.1)2 / 711
Member:khulien
Title:The Shining
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Collections:Fiction: Horror, 2012 Readings, Your library
Tags:Genre: Horror, Ghosts, Colorado, Genre: Thriller, Supernatural

The Shining by Stephen King (1977)

1970s (57)
Ghosts (22)

English (255)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (264)
So I decided to read this book because I had heard great things about it but I am not sure if I am the target audience but I just found it an incredible bore to read and I really wanted to like it.

The reader is given a really long back story to Jack as a recovering alcoholic and his wife, Wendy and their psychically gifted son, Danny. It is an incredibly long back story that bored me to death but I kept hanging in there.

I just did not relate very well to Jack or his struggles with alcohol and I didn't find the book that scary. There were a few scary moments but on the whole it just seemed a bit dull - I found the topiary animals just plain strange but not scary and I don't understand the lengthy weird hallucinations that the author tends to focus on. I also found the book bogged down in unnecessary detail and it just was not the book for me. I am not sure I like the writing style.

I hope the movie is better! ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
I love Jack Nicholson (and Kubrick), but the novel is still better than the movie. So much happens in the mind... ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Stephen King is the master of suspense and this book proves that he is at the top of this genre. You don't want to read this book alone at night as it is truly very scary. The characters are well-drawn for this psychological drama as 6 year-old Danny Torrence has psychic powers. The ghostly hotel is full of spirits and death is in the air for this family's horrific stay. I highly recommend this book to fans of horror as it is one story you will never forget! ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
An absolute classic. A must read for everyone. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
After recovering alcoholic Jack Torrence loses his teaching job, he and his wife, Wendy, and clairvoyant son, Danny, move to Colorado to be the winter caretakers of The Overlook Hotel. The massive hotel with an equally massive (and sordid) history closes for the winters when snow storms make the mountain roads impassable, and the Torrence family is left alone and cut off from the outside world for several months. Since it's Stephen King, I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that there are evil ghosts running rampant in the place. Chaos ensues.

Since I'm not really a fan of horror, I had never read King before, but I had heard all kinds of things about what a great writer he is. After finally reading one of his novels, I have to say that I'm not that impressed. The prose style was mediocre. A lot of the narrative was told from 5-year-old Danny's voice, and I found King to be inconsistent here. Some of the time Danny would sense a concept or word that he couldn't grasp because of his age; other times the vocabulary of his thoughts sounded way too mature for a young child. It also took a long time for anything to really happen. The novel could have been considerably shorter and still made it's point. And it didn't help that there were no really likeable characters. I waffled between giving it 2 or 3 stars, but the horror aspect pushed it to the lower rating for me because I'm just not that into it. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christensen, HarroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davies, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isomursu, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was in this apartment, also, that there stood against the western wall, a gigantic clock of ebony.  Its pendulum swung to and fro with a dull, heavy, monotonous clang; and when the minute-hand made the circuit of the face, and the hour was to be stricken, there came from the brazen lungs of the clock a sound which was clear and loud and deep and exceedingly musical, but of so peculiar a note and emphasis that,
at each lapse of an hour, the musicians of the orchestra were constrained to pause, momentarily, in their performance, to harken to the sound; and thus the waltzers perforce ceased their evolutions; and there was a brief disconcert of the whole gay company; and, while the chimes of the clock yet rang, it was observed that the giddiest grew pale, and the more aged and sedate passed their hands over their brows as if in confused revery or meditation.  But when the echoes had fully ceased, a light laughter at once pervaded the assembly; the musicians looked at each other and smiled as if at their own nervousness and folly, and made whispering vows, each to the other, that the next chiming of the clock should produce in them no similar emotion; and then, after the lapse of sixty minutes, (which embrace three thousand and six hundred seconds of the Time that flies,) there came yet another chiming of the clock, and then were the same disconcert and tremulousness and meditation as before.
But, in spite of these things, it was a gay and magnificent revel.
E. A. Poe
'The Masque of the Red Death'

The sleep of reason breeds monsters.
Goya

It'll shine when it shines.
Folk saying.
This is for Joe Hill King, who shines on.
My editor on this book, as on the previous two, was M. William G. Thompson, a man of wit and good sense. His contribution to this book has been large, and for it, my thanks.
Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick.
Hallorann’s testicles turned into two small wrinkled sacs filled with shaved ice.

The Overlook Hotel is more than just a home-away-from-home for the Torrance family. For Jack, Wendy, and their young son, Danny, it is a place where past horrors come to life. And where those gifted with "the shining" do battle with the darkest evils. Stephen King's classic thriller is one of the most powerfully imagined novels of our time.

"YOU'RE THE CARETAKER, SIR. YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN THE CARETAKER. I SHOULD KNOW, SIR. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN HERE...."

-- DELBERT GRADY OF THE OVERLOOK HOTEL

THE SHINING

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to laim the very souls of the Torrence family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendaryStanley Kubrick -- featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson --The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:29 -0400)

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to claim the very souls of the Torrance family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendary director Stanley Kubrick -- featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson --The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible