The Shining by Stephen King

The Shining (original 1977; edition 2012)

by Stephen King

Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Collections:Fiction: Horror, 2012 Readings, Your library
Tags:Genre: Horror, Ghosts, Colorado, Genre: Thriller, Supernatural

The Shining by Stephen King (1977)

1970s (12)

English (220)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (229)
Just not a King fan ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
Just not a King fan ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
I don’t read many books in the horror/supernatural genre. The reason for that is I simply do not believe in supernatural occurrences, ghosts etc. I am a skeptic (in the best sense of that word). I have to believe that something is at least plausible before I can enjoy it. Or, the world constructed has to be so divorced from the world we live in that I can construct a whole new reality in my mind that allows me to “turn off” my skepticism. This is why I can enjoy the Lord of the Rings or the Harry Potter series. Those works don’t even pretend to take place in a world we are familiar with.

It did take a while but I was finally able to disassociate my normal skepticism from the story I was reading - to the point I could really enjoy this book. And, as I was deep into it I realized that everything that happened in the book could potentially be explained without resorting to the supernatural.

Without revealing too much for those that have not read it, The Shining deals with a family (father, mother, son), who move to an isolated Colorado resort where the father will act as the winter caretaker. The premise is the characters and the hotel itself have back stories that begin to manifest themselves in some very horrible ways. Eventually the hotel takes over the mind of the father who it convinces must kill his family in order to complete his reintegration with the hotel. The son has a special ability called “the shine” that allows him to see into the minds of others, and to experience past events. In many ways he is the central character of the book, it is he who sees that horrible things will happen before anyone else is aware something is wrong, it is he who realizes the hotel itself is attempting to control them, and it is he who is ultimately responsible for saving he and his mother’s lives.

I began to realize though, as I got deeper into the book, that everything described is from the perspective of one of these three characters. Everything that happened to them was experienced by them alone (with one exception…the in season cook who also has “the shine”). It is entirely plausible that everything described could be the result of a psychosis that affected them as they became more isolated in the hotel. One of the lingering mysteries for me is whether the supernatural was “real” (within the parameters of this world), or were simply created in the minds of three people sinking deeper into mental illness..

I won’t go further so as not to ruin it for those that have not read it…but I found it to be a very deeply layered book, with complex and interlocking story lines that really made it a pleasure to read!!! ( )
  mybucketlistofbooks | Jan 10, 2015 |
Classic horror - I've been meaning to read this one for a few Halloweens but with all the snow in this one, December works too. I'll just have to read something sunny next. I've tried to avoid the movies for this one as I knew I wanted to read the book eventually. This is well written and I'm surprised to find it's King's third book. So many books since this one! Though somehow this one wasn't as page flipping fast as some other King books have been. The most interesting thing to me, is the note in my old edition in which King says there was no hotel that inspired the haunting mountain hotel, but since then it has been revealed that the Stanley hotel actually inspired the book. It makes it a bit spookier that King was denying the inspiration... why hide it? What really happened in the Stanley hotel? Sadly, I'm too aware of the movies after all and it seems like some scenes that are probably just common pop-culture knowledge weren't even in the book at all. Hopefully I'll get to the sequel next Halloween... and not a few years from now. ( )
  booklove2 | Jan 4, 2015 |
This book came out in the late 1970's, I first read it in the early 1980's, and just re-read it.

I was in my early teens during the first reading, and remember parts of the book: the first meeting between Jack and the Overlook manager, the Hallorann / Danny talk about 'Shining,' the wasps coming to life in Danny's room, Jack's time in the Colorado Lounge, Halloran's snowmobile trip, the redrum thing, the violence with the mallet, and the conclusion. However, there were things I didn't remember: Jack's and Wendy's back story, Tony, how Jack found the wasp nest, the scrapbook & the research Jack did about the Overlook Hotel, and that Jack was a writer/teacher.

My thoughts after the first reading was that the book wasn't as scary or exciting as I thought it would be. I remember being bored, especially jack's time talking with the bartender in the lounge. I enjoyed the book much more this time. I enjoyed reading about a destructive, alcoholic person more as a 48 year old than I did as a 13 or 14 year old. ( )
  mainrun | Dec 5, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christensen, HarroAutorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davies, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isomursu, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was in this apartment, also, that there stood against the western wall, a gigantic clock of ebony.  Its pendulum swung to and fro with a dull, heavy, monotonous clang; and when the minute-hand made the circuit of the face, and the hour was to be stricken, there came from the brazen lungs of the clock a sound which was clear and loud and deep and exceedingly musical, but of so peculiar a note and emphasis that,
at each lapse of an hour, the musicians of the orchestra were constrained to pause, momentarily, in their performance, to harken to the sound; and thus the waltzers perforce ceased their evolutions; and there was a brief disconcert of the whole gay company; and, while the chimes of the clock yet rang, it was observed that the giddiest grew pale, and the more aged and sedate passed their hands over their brows as if in confused revery or meditation.  But when the echoes had fully ceased, a light laughter at once pervaded the assembly; the musicians looked at each other and smiled as if at their own nervousness and folly, and made whispering vows, each to the other, that the next chiming of the clock should produce in them no similar emotion; and then, after the lapse of sixty minutes, (which embrace three thousand and six hundred seconds of the Time that flies,) there came yet another chiming of the clock, and then were the same disconcert and tremulousness and meditation as before.
But, in spite of these things, it was a gay and magnificent revel.
E. A. Poe
'The Masque of the Red Death'

The sleep of reason breeds monsters.
Goya

It'll shine when it shines.
Folk saying.
This is for Joe Hill King, who shines on.
My editor on this book, as on the previous two, was M. William G. Thompson, a man of wit and good sense. His contribution to this book has been large, and for it, my thanks.
Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick.
Hallorann’s testicles turned into two small wrinkled sacs filled with shaved ice.

The Overlook Hotel is more than just a home-away-from-home for the Torrance family. For Jack, Wendy, and their young son, Danny, it is a place where past horrors come to life. And where those gifted with "the shining" do battle with the darkest evils. Stephen King's classic thriller is one of the most powerfully imagined novels of our time.

"YOU'RE THE CARETAKER, SIR. YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN THE CARETAKER. I SHOULD KNOW, SIR. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN HERE...."

-- DELBERT GRADY OF THE OVERLOOK HOTEL

THE SHINING

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to laim the very souls of the Torrence family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendaryStanley Kubrick -- featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson --The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:11 -0400)

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to claim the very souls of the Torrance family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendary director Stanley Kubrick -- featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson --The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,154,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible