The Shining by Stephen King

The Shining (original 1977; edition 2012)

by Stephen King

Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Collections:Fiction: Horror, 2012 Readings, Your library
Tags:Genre: Horror, Ghosts, Colorado, Genre: Thriller, Supernatural

The Shining by Stephen King (1977)

English (210)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (219)
I went back and re-read this book to get ready for Doctor Sleep. I love the way Mr. King is able to take simple ideas and to spin then into terrifying realities. I don't re-read books often, but I really enjoyed this one. ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
DNF at 68%.

Buddy read with
Shandra, who liked it more than I did. ^_^

I think it's time to admit defeat. I haven't picked this up in nearly a month.

As much as I love the movie, I can't get down with King's incessant wordiness. I put this down countless times, because I was dying a slow death at his hands. I know what's to come and I know it's good, but I just can't hold out long enough to get there. My desire to read this and my will to live have been diminishing more and more with every chapter. I give up.

And seriously, IDGAF about Danny. He's annoying as shit and, unfortunately, this book revolves around him.

Pre-reading:

Seen the movie more times than I can count, but I've never read the book. Unless I did, as a teen, and I just can't remember. That's always within my realm of possibility.

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
The Bachman books showed up from ILL quicker than I thought so I had to start in on this right away. And then, i didn't finish in the time allotted by the library, so I am waiting on it again...
  JonathanCrites | Jul 25, 2014 |
This was a reread in preparation for the release of the sequel to The Shining, Doctor Sleep. I rarely read books over, so this review will be odd...
I first read The Shining in the late 70s, and it was one of the scariest books I've ever read. Now, 36 years later, not so much. Perhaps because of my own experiences growing up, the terror just wasn't there this second time around. It was scary, but my jaded viewpoint just didn't allow the scenes to jump out this time. Still, it's well-written and a page-turner, but that description fits just about every book Stephen King has ever published.
Looking forward to Doctor Sleep! ( )
  ssimon2000 | Jul 17, 2014 |
The way that Stephen King builds up to the climax and increases the tension makes it even better when the ending does come. Jack doesn't seem evil even though he slowly goes crazy and tries to kill Danny and Wendy. ( )
  SebastianHagelstein | Jul 16, 2014 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christensen, HarroAutorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davies, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isomursu, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was in this apartment, also, that there stood against the western wall, a gigantic clock of ebony.  Its pendulum swung to and fro with a dull, heavy, monotonous clang; and when the minute-hand made the circuit of the face, and the hour was to be stricken, there came from the brazen lungs of the clock a sound which was clear and loud and deep and exceedingly musical, but of so peculiar a note and emphasis that,
at each lapse of an hour, the musicians of the orchestra were constrained to pause, momentarily, in their performance, to harken to the sound; and thus the waltzers perforce ceased their evolutions; and there was a brief disconcert of the whole gay company; and, while the chimes of the clock yet rang, it was observed that the giddiest grew pale, and the more aged and sedate passed their hands over their brows as if in confused revery or meditation.  But when the echoes had fully ceased, a light laughter at once pervaded the assembly; the musicians looked at each other and smiled as if at their own nervousness and folly, and made whispering vows, each to the other, that the next chiming of the clock should produce in them no similar emotion; and then, after the lapse of sixty minutes, (which embrace three thousand and six hundred seconds of the Time that flies,) there came yet another chiming of the clock, and then were the same disconcert and tremulousness and meditation as before.
But, in spite of these things, it was a gay and magnificent revel.
E. A. Poe
'The Masque of the Red Death'

The sleep of reason breeds monsters.
Goya

It'll shine when it shines.
Folk saying.
This is for Joe Hill King, who shines on.
My editor on this book, as on the previous two, was M. William G. Thompson, a man of wit and good sense. His contribution to this book has been large, and for it, my thanks.
Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick.
Hallorann’s testicles turned into two small wrinkled sacs filled with shaved ice.

The Overlook Hotel is more than just a home-away-from-home for the Torrance family. For Jack, Wendy, and their young son, Danny, it is a place where past horrors come to life. And where those gifted with "the shining" do battle with the darkest evils. Stephen King's classic thriller is one of the most powerfully imagined novels of our time.

"YOU'RE THE CARETAKER, SIR. YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN THE CARETAKER. I SHOULD KNOW, SIR. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN HERE...."

-- DELBERT GRADY OF THE OVERLOOK HOTEL

THE SHINING

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to laim the very souls of the Torrence family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendaryStanley Kubrick -- featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson --The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:11 -0400)

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to claim the very souls of the Torrance family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendary director Stanley Kubrick -- featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson --The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,143,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible