The Shining by Stephen King

The Shining (original 1977; edition 2012)

by Stephen King

Series: Shining (1)

12,867237178 (4.1)2 / 673
Member:JaneSteen
Title:The Shining
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Collections:Reviewed, Read but unowned

The Shining by Stephen King (1977)

1970s (18)

English (227)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (236)
Stephen King had me crying on like every level while reading this. Crying from terror, crying from heartache, crying from relief. Point is - I was drained when I finished this and had a major book hangover. In a good way. ( )
1 vote cattylj | Feb 28, 2015 |
  sturlington | Feb 27, 2015 |
this is one of the best horrors I have read in a long time. Very good a book indeed. ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
This is the first time I have read this book. I know that seems odd, but it is not really a book that interested me very much. I guess you could say I was curious, having heard so much about it, to see if it lived up to the hype. Also it has been the big topic of conversation on many of my book forums because King has written a follow-up to the shining (Dr. Sleep).

Since it is such a well known book I won’t give a summary, just to say that everyone I spoke to said it was the scariest book they had ever read. All through this book I keep thinking, so when does it get scary. I kept waiting and it never happened. There were things happening that were supposed to be scary, but for some reason, they weren’t. A spooky hotel with bushes that come alive, a dead woman in a tub that isn’t really dead. I guess I heard too much or read too many spoilers that I didn’t get scared.

Watching Jack Torrance spin apart is an event in itself and the writing is above par. There is no doubt Stephen King is a brilliant writer and also a possibly (most likely) twisted individual. I was more frightened by Cujo, make that I was absolutely terrified by Cujo, I have never looked at Saint Bernards the same since I read it. It is not King’s writing I find fault with, I just didn’t find this book as terrifying as I was led to believe it was. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
Part of the reason I'm rereading all of King's books in chronological order is to watch the progression of a creative mind. I believe The Shining is King's strongest piece, his most well-rounded achievement. Fantastic opening, amazing character development, truly terrifying scenes, and one epic ending. No other King book has that combination. Or at least I do not recall one that does. Has my opinion changed? Not yet.

There are only a handful of authors who can scare me with implication. Point in fact: the hedge animals. I mean, even if the lions had gotten a hold of Hallorann, what were they going to do? Foliage him to death? Still, every single scene involving the hedge animals is terrifying. And you don't even know what they're capable of because their actions are never shown, only implied. Don't even get me started on that fucking fire hose. Nightmare inducing shit...

In summation: If you don't read any other King novel, read this one. That's all I have to say on the subject.

I know this review sucks, but it's also my fourth or fifth time reading this book, so give me a break. I'll do better on the next one, promise. ( )
1 vote Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christensen, HarroAutorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davies, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isomursu, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was in this apartment, also, that there stood against the western wall, a gigantic clock of ebony.  Its pendulum swung to and fro with a dull, heavy, monotonous clang; and when the minute-hand made the circuit of the face, and the hour was to be stricken, there came from the brazen lungs of the clock a sound which was clear and loud and deep and exceedingly musical, but of so peculiar a note and emphasis that,
at each lapse of an hour, the musicians of the orchestra were constrained to pause, momentarily, in their performance, to harken to the sound; and thus the waltzers perforce ceased their evolutions; and there was a brief disconcert of the whole gay company; and, while the chimes of the clock yet rang, it was observed that the giddiest grew pale, and the more aged and sedate passed their hands over their brows as if in confused revery or meditation.  But when the echoes had fully ceased, a light laughter at once pervaded the assembly; the musicians looked at each other and smiled as if at their own nervousness and folly, and made whispering vows, each to the other, that the next chiming of the clock should produce in them no similar emotion; and then, after the lapse of sixty minutes, (which embrace three thousand and six hundred seconds of the Time that flies,) there came yet another chiming of the clock, and then were the same disconcert and tremulousness and meditation as before.
But, in spite of these things, it was a gay and magnificent revel.
E. A. Poe
'The Masque of the Red Death'

The sleep of reason breeds monsters.
Goya

It'll shine when it shines.
Folk saying.
This is for Joe Hill King, who shines on.
My editor on this book, as on the previous two, was M. William G. Thompson, a man of wit and good sense. His contribution to this book has been large, and for it, my thanks.
Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick.
Hallorann’s testicles turned into two small wrinkled sacs filled with shaved ice.

The Overlook Hotel is more than just a home-away-from-home for the Torrance family. For Jack, Wendy, and their young son, Danny, it is a place where past horrors come to life. And where those gifted with "the shining" do battle with the darkest evils. Stephen King's classic thriller is one of the most powerfully imagined novels of our time.

"YOU'RE THE CARETAKER, SIR. YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN THE CARETAKER. I SHOULD KNOW, SIR. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN HERE...."

-- DELBERT GRADY OF THE OVERLOOK HOTEL

THE SHINING

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to laim the very souls of the Torrence family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendaryStanley Kubrick -- featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson --The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:11 -0400)

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to claim the very souls of the Torrance family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendary director Stanley Kubrick -- featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson --The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,799,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible