The Shining by Stephen King

The Shining (original 1977; edition 2012)

by Stephen King

14,007274148 (4.1)2 / 718
Member:JaneSteen
Title:The Shining
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Collections:Reviewed, Read but unowned

The Shining by Stephen King (1977)

1970s (49)
Ghosts (22)

English (263)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (272)
I had forgotten just how terrifying the mind of Mr. King can be! I shouldn't have read this late at night... bad, bad dreams!! ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
I see now why The Shining is one of Stephen King’s classics. It features a wide variety of creepy things: ghosts, a slow descent into madness, wasps, extreme isolation, murder, blood, psychic ability, hedge animals coming to life… I mean, there’s something in there that’s bound to give you a thrill. (And if not, then you are a very brave person, my friend.)

Most people know at least the basics of The Shining. It’s about a family of three—Jack Torrance, a recovering alcoholic; Wendy, his wife; and Danny, his clairvoyantly gifted five-year-old son. The Torrances spends the winter alone in the Overlook Hotel high in the mountains of Colorado. Although it is shut down in the winter, Jack is hired to be the Overlook’s caretaker. Soon the Torrances are snowed in and completely isolated, and it becomes apparent that the hotel is trying to destroy them—or helping them to destroy one another.

shiningI enjoyed this book very much. It’s a bit of a hefty read, as many of King’s novels are, but it’s definitely worth it. The characters are quite well written, and King expertly jumps points of view (always in third person but showing us the story through various characters one at a time). Throughout the book, I vacillated among thinking Jack was a pretty okay guy, to hating his guts, to pitying him, which is presumably what King was aiming for. Jack is a complex character, barely clinging to sanity and sobriety. I completely adored Danny, who was much wiser and braver than most five-year-olds. He was the voice of calm and reason throughout the novel, despite the fact that he saw and heard things most others could not. I enjoyed trying to make sense of his visions along with him. And I loved Dick Hallorann, who possessed the gift of the Shining as well, and who helped Danny out the best he could.

The Shining is definitely my favorite Stephen King novel so far, and I read it just in time for the long-awaited sequal, Doctor Sleep, which was released only a month ago. I’m interested to see how the sequel will be received, and how it will compare to The Shining. And now, on to the movie! ( )
  blackrabbit89 | May 6, 2016 |
I thought this book was supposed to be scary. I didn't finish it not because it was horrifying but because I just got bored and had no sympathy for the adult characters. Quite frankly the sooner something killed them off the better. Maybe I just didn't read far enough in the book ... ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
This book is so much scarier than the movie! Stephen King at his best; he combines the supernatural with the real fear of what we could become under the right circumstances. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christensen, HarroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davies, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isomursu, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was in this apartment, also, that there stood against the western wall, a gigantic clock of ebony.  Its pendulum swung to and fro with a dull, heavy, monotonous clang; and when the minute-hand made the circuit of the face, and the hour was to be stricken, there came from the brazen lungs of the clock a sound which was clear and loud and deep and exceedingly musical, but of so peculiar a note and emphasis that,
at each lapse of an hour, the musicians of the orchestra were constrained to pause, momentarily, in their performance, to harken to the sound; and thus the waltzers perforce ceased their evolutions; and there was a brief disconcert of the whole gay company; and, while the chimes of the clock yet rang, it was observed that the giddiest grew pale, and the more aged and sedate passed their hands over their brows as if in confused revery or meditation.  But when the echoes had fully ceased, a light laughter at once pervaded the assembly; the musicians looked at each other and smiled as if at their own nervousness and folly, and made whispering vows, each to the other, that the next chiming of the clock should produce in them no similar emotion; and then, after the lapse of sixty minutes, (which embrace three thousand and six hundred seconds of the Time that flies,) there came yet another chiming of the clock, and then were the same disconcert and tremulousness and meditation as before.
But, in spite of these things, it was a gay and magnificent revel.
E. A. Poe
'The Masque of the Red Death'

The sleep of reason breeds monsters.
Goya

It'll shine when it shines.
Folk saying.
This is for Joe Hill King, who shines on.
My editor on this book, as on the previous two, was M. William G. Thompson, a man of wit and good sense. His contribution to this book has been large, and for it, my thanks.
Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick.
Hallorann’s testicles turned into two small wrinkled sacs filled with shaved ice.

The Overlook Hotel is more than just a home-away-from-home for the Torrance family. For Jack, Wendy, and their young son, Danny, it is a place where past horrors come to life. And where those gifted with "the shining" do battle with the darkest evils. Stephen King's classic thriller is one of the most powerfully imagined novels of our time.

"YOU'RE THE CARETAKER, SIR. YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN THE CARETAKER. I SHOULD KNOW, SIR. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN HERE...."

-- DELBERT GRADY OF THE OVERLOOK HOTEL

THE SHINING

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to laim the very souls of the Torrence family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendaryStanley Kubrick -- featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson --The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:29 -0400)

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to claim the very souls of the Torrance family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendary director Stanley Kubrick -- featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson --The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,817,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible