The Shining by Stephen King

The Shining (original 1977; edition 2012)

by Stephen King

14,889300132 (4.11)2 / 775
Member:JaneSteen
Title:The Shining
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Anchor (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Collections:Reviewed, Read but unowned

The Shining by Stephen King (1977)

Ghosts (11)
1970s (57)

English (290)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  French (2)  German (1)  All (1)  All (299)
For the most part, I wasn't a very big fan of this book. When I first began reading it I was really enjoying it, but after so long I just completely dreaded reading. I felt like it was really drawn out, and everything leading up to the climax of the story was super dull. No real action happened until the last 100 pages or so. That's the only reason I'm even giving it two stars.

However, the action that DID take place I enjoyed. This book didn't really scare me at all, but I did get to the point where I didn't want to put the book down because I wanted to know if everyone would make it out okay. That's about it though. So yeah... I don't really like reading 500+ pages just to finally enjoy the book at the last 100 pages.

It seems like everyone loves this book, and I really really really wanted to, but I just couldn't get myself that invested. I hope I have better luck with some of Stephen King's other novels. ( )
  Vanessah_Baker | Jun 27, 2017 |
Un bellissimo horror, un po' triste come lo sono molti di King. ( )
  Angela.Me | Jun 10, 2017 |
About halfway through, and, and as with Salem's Lot, I am completely engrossed and paralyzed with intrigue and terror. WHY DIDN'T I READ KING SOONER. Answer: I thought he was too mainstream for my tastes. Well . . . that was dumb of me.

Highly recommended for taxing commutes/unbearable traffic jams.
  libheroine | Jun 5, 2017 |
If you think the extraordinary, Stanley Kubrick-directed film adaptation of this masterpiece novel is terrifying, just wait until you actually read the book itself.

There are things happening in the book that are so horrifying, the filmmakers couldn't replicate them for the screen, due to the limited technology in special effects during the making of the film.

The Shining is the epitome of sheer, paralyzing terror.
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
The Shining was first published in 1977, and is one of my three favorite Stephen King novels, the other two being 'Salem's Lot and The Stand. Incidentally, Simon and Schuster Audio recently published a fine unabridged version of 'Salem's Lot, but no The Stand in sight!

The Shining's main characters are Jack Torrance, his wife Wendy, his psychically gifted son Daniel, and the majestic (and haunted) Overlook Hotel. The story begins when Jack Torrance accepts a job as winter caretaker of the hotel, which closes 6 months out of the year because of its remote location in Colorado. Jack and his family are to stay at the Overlook during the winter, taking care of the building while snow flies around them. The family looks forward to a healing time alone, but the hotel and its ghosts have different plans.

King creates a rich array of characters here. From Jack Torrance and his alcoholism to Wendy, a kind but damaged person in her own way, and Daniel, whose power inadvertently gives the spirit inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel a gateway to become more than just frightening apparitions.

Campbell Scott gives a superior performance. I can't imagine this novel being done any better. It was very difficult for me to keep Jack Nicholson's performance of Jack Torrance from Stanley Kubrick's film version of The Shining out of my head. Campbell Scott seemed to embrace this, though, because Nicholson is perfect for that part. Campbell Scott apparently is too, because every character in this novel, including Torrance, was engaging and believable.

I originally posted this review at SFFaudio.com. ( )
  ScottDDanielson | Apr 10, 2017 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christensen, HarroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davies, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isomursu, PenttiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was in this apartment, also, that there stood against the western wall, a gigantic clock of ebony.  Its pendulum swung to and fro with a dull, heavy, monotonous clang; and when the minute-hand made the circuit of the face, and the hour was to be stricken, there came from the brazen lungs of the clock a sound which was clear and loud and deep and exceedingly musical, but of so peculiar a note and emphasis that,
at each lapse of an hour, the musicians of the orchestra were constrained to pause, momentarily, in their performance, to harken to the sound; and thus the waltzers perforce ceased their evolutions; and there was a brief disconcert of the whole gay company; and, while the chimes of the clock yet rang, it was observed that the giddiest grew pale, and the more aged and sedate passed their hands over their brows as if in confused revery or meditation.  But when the echoes had fully ceased, a light laughter at once pervaded the assembly; the musicians looked at each other and smiled as if at their own nervousness and folly, and made whispering vows, each to the other, that the next chiming of the clock should produce in them no similar emotion; and then, after the lapse of sixty minutes, (which embrace three thousand and six hundred seconds of the Time that flies,) there came yet another chiming of the clock, and then were the same disconcert and tremulousness and meditation as before.
But, in spite of these things, it was a gay and magnificent revel.
E. A. Poe
'The Masque of the Red Death'

The sleep of reason breeds monsters.
Goya

It'll shine when it shines.
Folk saying.
This is for Joe Hill King, who shines on.
My editor on this book, as on the previous two, was M. William G. Thompson, a man of wit and good sense. His contribution to this book has been large, and for it, my thanks.
Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick.
Hallorann’s testicles turned into two small wrinkled sacs filled with shaved ice.

The Overlook Hotel is more than just a home-away-from-home for the Torrance family. For Jack, Wendy, and their young son, Danny, it is a place where past horrors come to life. And where those gifted with "the shining" do battle with the darkest evils. Stephen King's classic thriller is one of the most powerfully imagined novels of our time.

"YOU'RE THE CARETAKER, SIR. YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN THE CARETAKER. I SHOULD KNOW, SIR. I'VE ALWAYS BEEN HERE...."

-- DELBERT GRADY OF THE OVERLOOK HOTEL

THE SHINING

First published in 1977, The Shining quickly became a benchmark in the literary career of Stephen King. This tale of a troubled man hired to care for a remote mountain resort over the winter, his loyal wife, and their uniquely gifted son slowly but steadily unfolds as secrets from the Overlook Hotel's past are revealed, and the hotel itself attempts to laim the very souls of the Torrence family. Adapted into a cinematic masterpiece of horror by legendaryStanley Kubrick -- featuring an unforgettable performance by a demonic Jack Nicholson --The Shining stands as a cultural icon of modern horror, a searing study of a family torn apart, and a nightmarish glimpse into the dark recesses of human weakness and dementia.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:29 -0400)

Danny is only five years old but in the words of old Mr Hallorann, he is a 'shiner', aglow with psychic voltage. When his father becomes caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, his visions grow frighteningly out of control. As winter closes in, the hotel develops a life of it's own. Somewhere, somehow there is an evil force, and that too is beginning to shine.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible