The Silence Of The Lambs by Thomas Harris

The Silence Of The Lambs (1988)

by Thomas Harris

Series: Hannibal Lecter Series (2)

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (SastRe.O)
    The Alienist by Caleb Carr (karenlibrarian00)
    The Burning Wire by Jeffery Deaver (Becchanalia)
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (VictoriaPL)
    The Red Scream by Mary Willis Walker (myshelves)
    myshelves: I found this Edgar-winning novel about a serial killer more chilling than Harris's novels.
    Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain (VictoriaPL)
    The Letter of the Law by Tim Green (dara85)
    dara85: The creepy nature of the killer and the sexual tension between he and Casey.
    Black Dahlia Avenger by Steve Hodel (bertilak)
    Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (rayfink)
    The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (WildMaggie)

English (74)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (81)
Harris is a master story-teller and this is a fast-paced thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Not sure of the date I read it but it was quite a while ago. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 3, 2016 |
One of the best books I've ever read. Hannibal Lecter is arguably the most ingenious and horrifying villains of all time and Clarice Starling has to walk that fine line between believing and admiring a murderer and keeping such a monster at an arms length. Incredible! ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
I read quite some time ago.... I remember it was very scary. Yikes. Great book. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
good mystery @ serial killer who takes hides from his victims + crazy ___ who helps FBI agent w/ clues

There's a killer on the loose who knows that beauty is only skin deep, and a trainee investigator who's trying to save her own hide. The only man that can help is locked in an asylum. But he's willing to put a brave face on - if it will help him escape.
  christinejoseph | Nov 28, 2015 |

Harris, Thomasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not? --1 Corinthians
Need I look upon a death's head in a ring, that have one in my face? -- John Donne, "Devotions"
To the memory of my father.
Behavioral Science, the FBI section that deals with serial murder, is on the bottom floor of the Academy building at Quantico, half-buried in the earth.
A census taker tried to quantify me once. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone.
WorldCat has ISBN 9024542871 for both Lelijk eendje [The Ugly Duckling] by Iris Johansen AND De schreeuw van het lam [The Silence of the Lambs] by Thomas Harris.

HANNIBAL LECTER.
THE ULTIMATE VILLAIN OF MODERN FICTION.
A young FBI trainee. An evil genius locked away for unspeakable crimes. A plunge into the darkest chambers of a psychopath's mind-- in the deadly search for a serial killer...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312924585, Mass Market Paperback)

The Silence of the Lambs, by Thomas Harris, is even better than the successful movie. Like his earlier Red Dragon, the book takes us inside the world of professional criminal investigation. All the elements of a well-executed thriller are working here--driving suspense, compelling characters, inside information, publicity-hungry bureaucrats thwarting the search, and the clock ticking relentlessly down toward the death of another young woman. What enriches this well-told tale is the opportunity to live inside the minds of both the crime fighters and the criminals as each struggles in a prison of pain and seeks, sometimes violently, relief.

Clarice Starling, a precociously self-disciplined FBI trainee, is dispatched by her boss, Section Chief Jack Crawford, the FBI's most successful tracker of serial killers, to see whether she can learn anything useful from Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Lecter's a gifted psychopath whose nickname is "The Cannibal" because he likes to eat parts of his victims. Isolated by his crimes from all physical contact with the human race, he plays an enigmatic game of "Clue" with Starling, providing her with snippets of data that, if she is smart enough, will lead her to the criminal. Undaunted, she goes where the data takes her. As the tension mounts and the bureaucracy thwarts Starling at every turn, Crawford tells her, "Keep the information and freeze the feelings." Insulted, betrayed, and humiliated, Starling struggles to focus. If she can understand Lecter's final, ambiguous scrawl, she can find the killer. But can she figure it out in time? --Barbara Schlieper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

FBI Academy trainee Clarice Starling hopes that Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a criminally insane psychiatrist imprisoned in a Boston hospital, can lead her to the serial killer known only as Buffalo Bill.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,186,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible