The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

The Silence of the Lambs (1988)

by Thomas Harris

Series: Hannibal Lecter (2)

7,81976429 (4.06)179
    Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane (SastRe.O)
    The Burning Wire by Jeffery Deaver (Becchanalia)
    Heartsick by Chelsea Cain (VictoriaPL)
    The Alienist by Caleb Carr (karenlibrarian00)
    The Red Scream by Mary Willis Walker (myshelves)
    myshelves: I found this Edgar-winning novel about a serial killer more chilling than Harris's novels.
    Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain (VictoriaPL)
    The Letter of the Law by Tim Green (dara85)
    dara85: The creepy nature of the killer and the sexual tension between he and Casey.
    Black Dahlia Avenger by Steve Hodel (bertilak)
    Every Dead Thing by John Connolly (rayfink)
    The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (WildMaggie)

English (69)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (76)
I would give this 4 and a half I think. I got just a little bored in a few parts when it leaned toward being a cop story (FBI agent, whatever). I was much more interested in the parts with the interviews with Lector. I love villains! I think Psychological Thriller might be my favorite genre. Very similar to the movie, though it's been a long time since I've seen it. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
awful...salacious...sick...couldn't finish it...movie much better...
  clarkland | Dec 17, 2014 |
Even better than the movie! I loved the movie--LOVED the book! It went so quickly. I felt there was a little more depth to it--more character development--than the movie, which is understandable. I really enjoyed it. Not sure if I'll be able to stomach Red Dragon or Hannibal, though.... I always felt, based on the movies, that this one was far more psychological, and the other two really focused on the gore-factor..... ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
The movie was remarkably true to this well-written book --- fast moving, believable (if sinister) characters, likable protagonist -- all around good novel. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
It's really hard to separate my review of this book with my feelings about the movie (which I see as a contemporary masterpiece of sorts). The writing is solid and the story inventive. Despite knowing "what happens" in the story, I did not get bored with this novel. I was thoroughly engaged. I enjoyed the narration that meandered into the heads of the principle characters, but not so much as to spoil the mysteries of essential character motivation.

This is one of the few instances where "the movie was better," but that does not mean the book was bad by any stretch. It was a great read! I feel that SotL is a better novel that its predecessor _Red Dragon_ (which I enjoyed too), with richer subtext and narrative construction. I kept asking myself, what made Harris change heroes? Why a young female? It was a smart move (when he could have just brought Will Graham back like most crime novelists do) that brought a lot of questions to the table, questions about gender that underscored the killer's motives. ( )
  dulcinea14 | Sep 18, 2014 |

Harris, Thomasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not? --1 Corinthians
Need I look upon a death's head in a ring, that have one in my face? -- John Donne, "Devotions"
To the memory of my father.
Behavioral Science, the FBI section that deals with serial murder, is on the bottom floor of the Academy building at Quantico, half-buried in the earth.
A census taker tried to quantify me once. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone.

HANNIBAL LECTER.
THE ULTIMATE VILLAIN OF MODERN FICTION.
A young FBI trainee. An evil genius locked away for unspeakable crimes. A plunge into the darkest chambers of a psychopath's mind-- in the deadly search for a serial killer...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312924585, Mass Market Paperback)

The Silence of the Lambs, by Thomas Harris, is even better than the successful movie. Like his earlier Red Dragon, the book takes us inside the world of professional criminal investigation. All the elements of a well-executed thriller are working here--driving suspense, compelling characters, inside information, publicity-hungry bureaucrats thwarting the search, and the clock ticking relentlessly down toward the death of another young woman. What enriches this well-told tale is the opportunity to live inside the minds of both the crime fighters and the criminals as each struggles in a prison of pain and seeks, sometimes violently, relief.

Clarice Starling, a precociously self-disciplined FBI trainee, is dispatched by her boss, Section Chief Jack Crawford, the FBI's most successful tracker of serial killers, to see whether she can learn anything useful from Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Lecter's a gifted psychopath whose nickname is "The Cannibal" because he likes to eat parts of his victims. Isolated by his crimes from all physical contact with the human race, he plays an enigmatic game of "Clue" with Starling, providing her with snippets of data that, if she is smart enough, will lead her to the criminal. Undaunted, she goes where the data takes her. As the tension mounts and the bureaucracy thwarts Starling at every turn, Crawford tells her, "Keep the information and freeze the feelings." Insulted, betrayed, and humiliated, Starling struggles to focus. If she can understand Lecter's final, ambiguous scrawl, she can find the killer. But can she figure it out in time? --Barbara Schlieper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:35 -0400)

FBI Academy trainee Clarice Starling hopes that Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a criminally insane psychiatrist imprisoned in a Boston hospital, can lead her to the serial killer known only as Buffalo Bill.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,031,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible