The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter)…

The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter) (original 1988; edition 1991)

by Thomas Harris (Author)

A novice FBI agent, Clarice Starling, profiles the maniac cannibal, Hannibal Lecter, using one genius psychopath's mind to track down another elusive killer, and risking her life in the process.
Member:sarah4uk
Title:The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter)
Authors:Thomas Harris (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (1991), 384 pages
Collections:calibre

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris (1988)

English (101)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (111)
I didn't like this book because most of the characters seemed like walking cliches. Both villians have no relatable motivation beyond being craAaAazy (I hate that). The author also takes every possible opportunity to remind people that Clarisse is hot and every man wants to have sex with her. There is some interesting commentary on socioeconomic class (Clarisse's poor background enables her to understand and relate to working-class people more easily, and the hunt for Buffalo Bill gets waaay more resources when he kidnaps the daughter of a congresswoman), but I didn't find the book as a whole interesting or enjoyable. ( )
  Rachel_Hultz | Aug 15, 2020 |
Chilling...intricate..brilliant-- A little slow in spots, but most assuredly kept my attention with clench fisted interest, in spite of my knowing the plot and having previous read/seen the film.

To the heart of it is the story..and its interplay of many layered good and evils...a decidedly twisted and delicious read.

It makes me all the more perplexed/intrigued/amused by the Lecter character and wishing to reread the other novels. ( )
  CurioCollective | Jun 25, 2020 |
Just finished listening to the 25th year anniversary edition on audiobook, and it still is as powerful as when I first read it 24 years ago. Well worth listening to it! ( )
  MissYowlYY | Jun 12, 2020 |
My friend, Jeanie, can't believe I've never read this or even seen the movie. Finally I picked it up and now I'm kind of sorry I did. It's so wonderful that I wish I still had it to read. Clarice Starling - student FBI agent - is sent in to interview the country's most heinous serial killer, Hannibal Lector. Like a giant puzzle, this story is created piece by piece and you can barely do anything until the last piece is in. (The only solace I have is that I have yet to read Black Sunday - I'm saving that one...) ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
This book reminds me that truly excellent and heart-felt works of literature can come out of the mystery field. It was a great deal better than Red Dragon, imho, and it really holds its own in both subtlety and panache. There are many good reasons why the story is iconic, but I'm slowly realizing that the whole anti-hero aspect of it might not be the best part. Perhaps I'm just getting older and less fanboyish, or perhaps I just like to see a well-rounded tale make a full circle in my head. Either way, I feel like I can appreciate the whole novel much better than I used to. Starling wasn't always my favorite character, but this time, she really grew on me. I understand better why Hannibal appreciated her.

Interesting.

bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Harris, Thomasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dill, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lebailly, MoniqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schurink-Vooren, EllyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not?
—1 Corinthians
Need I look upon a death's head in a ring, that have one in my face?
— John Donne, "Devotions"
To the memory of my father.
Behavioral Science, the FBI section that deals with serial murder, is on the bottom floor of the Academy building at Quantico, half-buried in the earth.
A census taker tried to quantify me once. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a big Amarone.
I expect most psychiatrists have a patient or two they'd like to refer to me.
Nothing happened to me, Officer Starling. I happened.
WorldCat has ISBN 9024542871 for both Lelijk eendje [The Ugly Duckling] by Iris Johansen AND De schreeuw van het lam [The Silence of the Lambs] by Thomas Harris.

HANNIBAL LECTER.
THE ULTIMATE VILLAIN OF MODERN FICTION.
A young FBI trainee. An evil genius locked away for unspeakable crimes. A plunge into the darkest chambers of a psychopath's mind-- in the deadly search for a serial killer...

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,679,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible