Corvus: A Life with Birds by Esther Woolfson

Collections:Read but unowned, Stewart's Read
Rating:***
Tags:birds, nature, Y09

Corvus: A Life with Birds by Esther Woolfson

The snow geese by William Fiennes (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Another combination of autobiography and ornithology.
    Crow Country by Mark Cocker (chrisharpe)
    Bird Brains: The Intelligence of Crows, Ravens, Magpies, and Jays by Candace Savage (VivienneR)

nowhere as interesting as I'd hoped it would be. Rather deadly boring and twee, in fact. ( )
  Dabble58 | Jan 1, 2014 |
A mixture of autobiography, bird anecdotes, as musings on birds, birdhood, humanity and its opinions of birds, life, and the interactions between them all. There's a fair dose of biology in there, and a dash of philosophy. I enjoyed this book, but I have to say at times I found it long-winded and skimmed over some of the longer dryer passages (especially things I already knew), or the semi-lyrical prose sections that sometimes crop up. I felt like Woolfson didn't have a firm vision for the core of this book - although possibly it's exactly what she wanted to write and that happens to be too mixed for my taste. At times I got the feeling that the hand of an(other?) editor would have been a boon, gently thinning out the essence of the book. It's twice the size of any Gerald Durrell book in my collection, for example; though in fairness there's a difference in style. Decent, and genuinely interesting, but not something I feel the immediate urge to press on anyone. ( )
  Shimmin | May 18, 2013 |
An enjoyable and erudite memoir of Woolfson's life with birds. She does not confine her love, nor her writing, to the corvids- though they do make up the bulk of the book. Some of the gritty realities of sharing a space with very intelligent birds made me re-think my desire for a magpie- caching mincemeat between the pages of a book, f'rinstance, or hiding bits of squid atop the fridge. I learned a lot about both birds and Woolfson from this book, and I relished the journey. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
An enjoyable read, but I wanted more details, more Heinrich! ( )
  rightantler | Jan 6, 2010 |
For Rebecca, Hannah and Leah, and for David
On an evening in spring, many years ago, I was given a bird.

A nature writer who developed a fascination with the corvid bird group after her daughter rescued a fledging rook explores the myriad commonalities shared between humans and corvids, in an account that describes her family's relationship with the rook, a talking magpie, a baby crow, and other feathered friends.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,441,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible