HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Talisman by Stephen King
Loading...

The Talisman (1984)

by Stephen King, Peter Straub

Other authors: See the other authors section.

Series: Jack Sawyer (1)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
7,78794678 (4.03)188
  1. 30
    Black House by Stephen King (Booksloth)
  2. 20
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (deandroid)
  3. 10
    The Drawing Of The Three by Stephen King (Valjeanne)
    Valjeanne: A real page-turner collaboration between Peter Straub and Stephen King! More "flipping" between alternate dimensions, shape-shifting good guys and bad guys, and a hero you'll love. :-)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 188 mentions

English (91)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (94)
Showing 1-5 of 91 (next | show all)
I liked this book when I read it. It was not as fast-paced as I would have expected, but I liked it nevertheless. Although it was quite scary at times. I kept it, to read it a second time when I would have found the second part of the series, but that never happened.
So knowing I missed out on half Jack's story I'm not going to continue. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | May 12, 2019 |
Ich habe mich am Anfang mit diesem Buch brutal schwer getan und fand einfach absolut keinen Einstieg. Dann tat ich, was ich immer tue in so einem Fall: Ich holte mir das Hörbuch, gelesen von David Nathan, und das eröffnete mir die Figuren, die Geschichte und die Welt. Danach war das Lesen eine wahre Freude und ich muss sagen, dass ich einfach nur begeistert bin.

Der Talisman ist eine Fantasy-Abenteuergeschichte. Eine Coming-of-Age-Story. Ein Roman über Freundschaft, Liebe, Vertrauen und das Gute.

Sicherlich könnte man hier in Jack Sawyer das klassische Klischee des auserwählten Jungen sehen, der die Welt retten muss. In seinem Freund Richard die Rolle des Samweis Gamdschie. Aber irgendwie auch wieder nicht. Jack begibt sich auf eine Reise von der Ostküste zur Westküste der USA. Dabei wandert er manchmal in unserer Welt und manchmal in den Territorien. Unterwegs trifft er auf gütige Menschen aber auch auf absolute Monster, deren Bösartigkeit und Perversität einfach unglaublich sind.

Bis er zu seinem Freund Richard gelangt, trifft er unterwegs in den Territorien Wolf, der ihn dann ein ganzes Stück begleiten wird und ein sehr guter Freund wird.

Der Horror kam hier nicht vorrangig aus der Welt der Territorien. Er kam hier aus Menschen unserer Welt, die so böse sind, dass man ihnen ein grausames Ende wünscht. So arbeitet Jack nicht nur für einen Hungerlohn auf Farmen oder in einer Kneipe, wo er nichts wert ist, sondern landet auch irgendwann im Sunlight Heim für schwererziehbare Kinder. Landen ist das falsche Wort: er wird kurzerhand dorthin verkauft. Sklaverei der modernen Zeit.

Seine Abenteuer sind größtenteils sehr erschreckend und gingen mir extrem unter die Haut. Es gab nicht nur eine Situation, in der ich vor Spannung den Atem anhielt. Hier ist Stephen Kings Weitschweifigkeit das eine oder andere Mal eine Verschnaufpause für mich gewesen.

Fazit:
Auch wenn der Einstieg schwer fiel, hat mich das Buch restlos begeistert. Von einigen Logikfehlern abgesehen, ist es eine absolut fesselnde Geschichte, die mich schwer in ihren Bann gezogen hat. Hier freue ich mich sehr auf die Fortsetzung Das schwarze Haus, die die beiden Autoren geschrieben haben. ( )
  Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |
I picked this up because I'm re-reading the Dark Tower series and picking up some of the adjacent books I hadn't read before. This is more of an "other worlds than these" rather than a direct tie-in to DT, but goddamn this was good. I hadn't read Straub before, but it seems like this partnership allowed King's wonderful handling of boys coming of age, forming friendships, and going on great quests to shine without getting bogged down in the overnarration and too much Kingian weirdness. I consistently felt the danger lurking around the corner, wholeheartedly rooted for the characters, and really enjoyed the philosophy behind an alternate heroic self. This was a surprisingly great read, and a great note to start wrapping up my reading year on. ( )
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
Read this book when I was eleven years old, which is also the year it came out. I was enthralled with it. I loved it then, the layers, the depth. It was a stretch for King. I think he was pulling on some personal demons while writing this. Now as an adult I am reading it again. It has not lost its sense of wonder. Of course it is easer to understand. There are a few chapters where you really feel for Jack. His first night alone in the territories is frightening. Kings makes it clear what it would be like for ourselves as a child to experience this lonlieness. I admit, I am not that familiar with Straub, but I will soon be putting a remedy to that. This is a direction however that I did not want to see King step into. Of course a good writer cannot pigieon hole themselves, but his later fantasy work just flew by me. ( )
  Joe73 | Jun 4, 2018 |
When two masters of horror team up you get a masterpiece such as The Talisman. I've actually never read any of Peter Straub's work however am a big Stephen King fan. The Talisman is the story of 12 year old Jakc Sawyer's quest to save his mother and his journey across America and it's twin dimension The Territories. I found this book to be more dark fantasy than horror, however it had its horrific elements as you would expect from the the authors. Truly, the most horrific parts for me were the more human aspects, but this is typical for King at least. ( )
1 vote Jane-Phillips | Nov 26, 2017 |
Showing 1-5 of 91 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (21 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Straub, Petermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Canty, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiemken, ChristelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Well, when Tom and me got to the edge of the hilltop, we looked away down into the village and could see three or four lights twinkling, where there was sick folks, may be; and stars over us was sparkling ever so fine; and down by the village was the river, a whole mile broad, and awful still and grand. -Mark Twain, Huckleberry Finn
My new clothes was all greased up and clayey, and I was dog-tired. -Mark Twain, Huckleberry Finn
Dedication
The book is for Ruth King, Elvena Straub
First words
On September 15th, 1981, a boy named Jack Sawyer stood where the water and land come together, hands in the pockets of his jeans, looking out at the steady Atlantic.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (2)

Book description
AR Level 6.2, 42 pts
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345444884, Mass Market Paperback)

On a brisk autumn day, a thirteen-year-old boy stands on the shores of the gray Atlantic, near a silent amusement park and a fading ocean resort called the Alhambra. The past has driven Jack Sawyer here: his father is gone, his mother is dying, and the world no longer makes sense. But for Jack everything is about to change. For he has been chosen to make a journey back across America–and into another realm.

One of the most influential and heralded works of fantasy ever written, The Talisman is an extraordinary novel of loyalty, awakening, terror, and mystery. Jack Sawyer, on a desperate quest to save his mother’s life, must search for a prize across an epic landscape of innocents and monsters, of incredible dangers and even more incredible truths. The prize is essential, but the journey means even more. Let the quest
begin
. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:56 -0400)

(see all 6 descriptions)

Twelve-year-old Jack Sawyer braves the mysterious dangers of the Territories, a surreal parallel world, in his cross-country quest through the U.S. for the Talisman, the only hope for his dying mother and for his own survival.

» see all 16 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.03)
0.5 2
1 27
1.5 6
2 91
2.5 26
3 319
3.5 76
4 555
4.5 83
5 688

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,493,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible