The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

The Tao of Pooh (1982)

by Benjamin Hoff

Recently added bynicbarnard, fortheloveof4, Aqua8, Jessie3093, helenaferry, msalib, emfdvm, private library, lgranger
Legacy LibrariesEdward St. John Gorey
    The Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff (Marewinds)
    Marewinds: Companion volume to the Tao of Pooh, and slightly more in-depth, for the next steps in your journey down the path of the Tao.
    Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu (Othemts)
    Othemts: Books that help Westerners understand Taoist beliefs.
    Finding the Way: A Novel of Lao Tzu by Wayne Ng (Cecrow)

English (98)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (101)
Very short and fun! A good thing to read/listen to when you're feeling stressed for no reason. The audio version was particularly enjoyable. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
Hoff has no idea about neither Taoism nor Pooh. He is an angry, bitchy man who rails against capitalism, Christianity, science, and “Busy Backsons”, ironically whom he personifies with his condescending attitude toward anyone who is not an “uncarved block” like Pooh. I don’t know much about Taoism, but I seriously doubt it is so intolerant. I know more about Buddhism, which he disses, and it acknowledges that we are distracted beings, and offers a way to achieve happiness. Instead of showing the Way, Hoff trashes everyone who does not know it.

And poor Pooh and company... he asserts everyone is a failure except Pooh because his ways are simple and the others overcomplicate things. He completely contradicts his assertion that everyone has a role they are suited for - so it is with Pooh’s friends, who are all essential. It is not Pooh who solves problems alone - he is part of a team, and they do it together. Perhaps Hoff should learn a thing or two from them. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
10 copies
  LAPP | Oct 2, 2018 |
A wonderful introduction to Taoism using the stories of Winnie the Pooh to introduce the basic tenets of Taoist philosophy. It is well written and very readable and offers an understandable commentary on Taoism mixed with delightful excerpts from the Pooh books so that even if you aren't heavily into religious philosophy or Taoism the book is still both entertaining and educational. ( )
  Al-G | Sep 25, 2018 |
Benjamin Hoff uses Winnie the Pooh and his friends to explain the principles of the Tao.

There really is a fair bit of gentle wisdom to be extracted from the stories of Winnie, Eeyore, and the others, and Hoff does a decent job of it. Sadly, it's no more than decent. There's an insistent, one-note, "if you don't agree then clearly you just don't understand, and are wrong" tone that rears its head repeatedly. It does grate on me from time to time.

Yet at the same time, he also does, often, throughout this short book, quite nicely and charmingly capture the ways in which simple, uncomplicated Pooh can find the right answer while his "smarter" friends are getting lost in complications of their own making.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but perhaps just reading or listening to Milne's own stories might be even more rewarding.

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |

Benjamin Hoffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shepard, E.H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie,
A fly can't bird, but a bird can fly.
Ask me a riddle and I reply:
"Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie."
For Han Hsiang-tse
"What's this you're writing?" asked Pooh, climbing onto the writing table.
"You see, Pooh," I said, "a lot of people don't seem to know what Taoism is . . ."

Haiku about bear
with very simple nature
is quite redundant. (Hephaestus63)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140067477, Paperback)

Is there such thing as a Western Taoist? Benjamin Hoff says there is, and this Taoist's favorite food is honey. Through brilliant and witty dialogue with the beloved Pooh-bear and his companions, the author of this smash bestseller explains with ease and aplomb that rather than being a distant and mysterious concept, Taoism is as near and practical to us as our morning breakfast bowl. Romp through the enchanting world of Winnie-the-Pooh while soaking up invaluable lessons on simplicity and natural living.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:14 -0400)

Author/narrator Hoff calls Winnie the Pooh a "Western Taoist'' and uses the unassuming bear to introduce Eastern philosophical principles. Pooh epitomizes the "uncarved block,'' as he is well in tune with his natural inner self.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,687,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible