Tao van Poeh by Benjamin Hoff

Member:karr-1
Title:Tao van Poeh
Authors:Benjamin Hoff
Other authors:E.H. Shepard, Hilde Bervoets
Info:Den Haag : Sirius en Siderius; 168 p, 21 cm; http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/PPN?PPN=852689012

The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff (1982)

1980s (115)
    Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu (Othemts)
    Othemts: Books that help Westerners understand Taoist beliefs.
    The Te of Piglet by Benjamin Hoff (Marewinds)
    Marewinds: Companion volume to the Tao of Pooh, and slightly more in-depth, for the next steps in your journey down the path of the Tao.

English (61)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
This book was very disappointing. While there is some wisdom in it - slow your life down, try to live more harmoniously, etc - this had way too much of the "don't try, just let things happen and it will all work out" message that was present in Coelho's "The Alchemist."(Maybe Hoff was channeling Coelho when he wrote this.) However what I found most deplorable was Hoff's flat out repudiation of science. His reasoning for this was ill-informed at best, willfully ignorant at worst; and, I'm quite sure he makes use of the inventions of science just as much as the rest of us. Science doesn't have all the answers concerning life, the universe and everything, but it has some (and clearly far more than Hoff bothered to educate himself concerning), and the number and quality of them is every-increasing.

If you want to read a useful book about engaging life and other people, get James Carse's "Finite and Infinite Games". It's a better book, better written and doesn't hypocritically tell you to ditch the very thing that made mass distribution of it possible.

qaphsiel | May 11, 2014 |

qaphsiel | May 11, 2014 |
A sort of "Taoism 101" written in A.A. Milne's familiar style and using Winnie the Pooh and other characters as examples of Taoism in practice. I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  perkybookworm | Apr 27, 2014 |
I read this for a religions class, and I loved it. I realize Taoism may be more of a philosophy than a religion, but if I were going to be anything other than an atheist, I would be Taoist.

Unfortunately, I left my copy underneath an open window and it became victim to rain and then mold, so I don't own it anymore. I'd like to read it again. ( )
  dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |

dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |

Benjamin Hoffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shepard, E.H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie,
A fly can't bird, but a bird can fly.
Ask me a riddle and I reply:
"Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie."
For Han Hsiang-tse
"What's this you're writing?" asked Pooh, climbing onto the writing table.
"You see, Pooh," I said, "a lot of people don't seem to know what Taoism is . . ."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140067477, Paperback)

Is there such thing as a Western Taoist? Benjamin Hoff says there is, and this Taoist's favorite food is honey. Through brilliant and witty dialogue with the beloved Pooh-bear and his companions, the author of this smash bestseller explains with ease and aplomb that rather than being a distant and mysterious concept, Taoism is as near and practical to us as our morning breakfast bowl. Romp through the enchanting world of Winnie-the-Pooh while soaking up invaluable lessons on simplicity and natural living.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:47 -0400)

Author/narrator Hoff calls Winnie the Pooh a "Western Taoist'' and uses the unassuming bear to introduce Eastern philosophical principles. Pooh epitomizes the "uncarved block,'' as he is well in tune with his natural inner self.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,627,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible