Legacy (Harlequin Teen) by Cayla Kluver

Legacy (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2011)

by Cayla Kluver

Info:Harlequin Teen (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

Legacy by Cayla Kluver

2009 (2) 2013 (2) ARC (2) audiobooks (2) book on cd (2) ebook (2) fantasy (28) fiction (6) free (5) Harlequin (2) historical (3) historical fiction (1) Kindle (12) love (3) love story (1) marriage (1) maybe (1) netgalley (4) princess (4) print (1) relationships (1) romance (9) royalty (5) teen (2) to-read (11) unread (2) want to read (2) war (2) YA (13) young adult (13)

English (43)  Dutch (1)  All languages (44)
*Originally Reviewed at Witchmag's Boekenplank*

Reading his book had its moments. Some good, some not so quite. The story as such is quite captivating. We have a princess who has to marry a man she can’t stand. Unless she manages to find another suitable candidate. At the same time she gets involved in a mystery, that started sixteen years ago… When 48 babes were stolen and only 47 bodies could be found. Finally the last one is found, alive. A boy who has been raised by the enemy and actually is not as ugly as our princess thought he would be. But not suitable at all as a candidate…

Sounds good doesn’t it? In reality, it was not that spectacular. The story was too lengthy for me. It took too long before something, anything happened. In the meantime you get to read about all kinds of superfluous details of the daily life at the palace. The way people look is also described till the smallest details. Which is way too much for me. I mean, I don’t need to know the EXACT height or what people are wearing. Just hints are enough. This overuse of details made it hard for me to focus, especially in the middle. It was so boring! However before I knew it I was sucked in again, with the help of some unexpected twists that continue to shake me to the core. And in turn made me very curious to what the next book will bring ^^

Not only the amount of details made it hard at times, there’s also our main lead, Alera. Who apparently is very grown-up and rebellious. Yeah right, I have seldom read about such a naïve, spoiled, thoughtless and pliable character. Especially her inability to think before she acted was infuriating at times. I mean how could someone possible think that if you tell that a certain person forsook his most important duty, that person would not get fired? How? That was not the only time Alera obviously lacked some brain cells and made me sigh and groan. At such times it was hard to resist my tendency to put the book down. But I prevailed and watch her grow. Towards the ending she finally made me astonished in a positive way. WOW! I did not expect such bravery from her!

Not all was bad though, there were enough characters besides Alera that did not work on my nerves. Some I even got to love. Like Narian and the mystery he presents. He was the main reason I kept on going. His cuteness and the puzzle he presented. Cause why exactly did he return? What did he do during his years with the enemy? Oh my questions were endless and my curiosity high! Of course they were not answered or satisfied in this one…. I so love and hate it when authors do that to me ^^

Conclusion

3 HEARTS. Even though this book was lengthy and too detailed at times, the ending made it worthwhile. Our main character, Alera, and I had a VERY rocky start because of the way she acted. She was so annoying! Fortunately there are some nice secondary characters and Narian. I was unable to see through him, which made him unpredictable and kept me reading. Add to that one heck of an ending and I find myself looking forward to the next book! ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Dec 22, 2013 |
I really tried to get into this book - I love Fantasy romance but the stilted and formal narration and the heroine isn't engaging me so I gave up.
  Has_bookpusher | Sep 20, 2013 |
Ok, this may be listed for "teens" but I thought it was expertly written with very interesting character and plot development. Even with a somewhat overdone storyline, the ending surprised me and has me ready to read the second and third books as well.
  saucymama | Aug 16, 2013 |
Princess Alera of Hytanica is facing a difficult year, as she has turned 17 and must marry the future king before her 18th birthday. She does not love him, though, and must struggle with duty and her heart. Shallow world and shallow characters. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 25, 2013 |
Un libro relativamente bueno para haber sido escrito por alguien tan joven, pero nada fuera de lo normal ni espectacular.
Quizás si lo hubiese leído siendo yo también más joven, me hubiese gustado mucho más. Pero no fué así y realmente no me gustó. Si le doy dos estrellas es por la edad de la autora y no por el disfrute. Hubo mucha descripción en cuanto a lo que tenían puesto, que en cierto punto ya no era importante ni venia al caso. La historia es típica para la edad. ( )
  AshuritaLove | Apr 7, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0373210345, Paperback)

Legacy, the first installment of the planned Legacy Trilogy, won First Place in the Reader's Views 2008 Literary Awards, Bronze Medalist in Young Adult Fiction in the 2008 Moonbeam Children's Book Awards; Finalist in Young Adult Fiction in the National Best Books Awards 2008, sponsored by USA Book News.

In an award-winning YA fantasy debut (the first of a planned trilogy), novelist Cayla Kluver brings a magical touch to an unrelentingly suspenseful coming-of-age tale. Duty-bound to wed her father’s choice in successor to the  throne, Princess Alera of Hytanica believes that she is being forced into the worst of all possible fates—a marriage to the arrogant and hot-tempered suitor, Steldor. When a mysterious boy from enemy Cokyri appears bearing secrets and an entirely different view of what's appropriate behavior for a young lady, Alera learns that her private desires threaten to destroy the kingdom. When Narian’s shocking past comes to light, Alera finds herself in a shadowy world of palace intrigue and ancient blood feuds, facing an uncertain future with dwindling options—and must learn to decide between right and wrong all alone. Marked by witty, rapid-fire dialogue and dramatic complexity that belie the writer’s age, Legacy brings a fresh, new sensibility to age-old questions of duty and inheritance and to a young heroine’s quest to find her true voice.

Legacy

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:57 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Princess Alera of Hytanica, who struggles against an arranged marriage, joins forces with a teenage Cokyrian named Narian, and together they must find a way to alter their fates as well as those of their kingdoms.

104 wanted5 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,461,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible